Bad smell

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've known 2 people who have been on Atkins diet, their breath stank due to ketones, 'pear drops' or 'sweet' is a very polite way of putting it. Putrid is far more accurate imo. From a quick look on Wikipedia, it seems ketones can also be in sweat so that could also smell I guess.

Does your wife check for ketones when you can smell this smell?

Could it be the insulin leaking from the pump somehow? Insulin smells very odd, I don't know how the pumps work but I assume your wife has insulin pens as back-up, get her to squirt some out (sorry I know that sounds wrong but I can't think of a less dodgy way of putting it!) and compare the smell.

Has your wife changed her diet at all? Lots of things you eat can effect your body odour.

You say it is like she is passing wind repeatedly, does it smell like flatulence? It might be, lots of things can cause increased flatulence.

Has your wife been to a GP about this?

Finally, are you 100% sure you only smell the smell when your wife is there? Has anyone else said they can smell it? If no-one else can, you should probably mention this to your GP, just in case.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I thought of ketones too, as it is described as being emanating; but
then the description of it as putrid, etc. cannot be ketones. Yup, GP
and would be nice to be discreet.

Csfrowantree

Dislikes
People that dont understand diabetics and all that goes with having diabetes
Hi Tiny Tim,

My wife has also complained on occasion that I emit a bad smell, I have tried to get her to describe it but just says it stinks. Like your wife I dont have personal Hygene problems.
I have not seen the doctor about it though, I am Type two and on Glicazide and Metformin so it cant be anything to do with insulin as far as I am concerned at least.
It is frustrating though especially if you cant smell it yourself, my wife has not complained about it since my general levels improved so it may be something to do with keytones though I can not be sure. If I suffer from this again I will mention it to my GP.
Hope things get better soon.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tim,

The bad smell could well be down to the ketones if her control has been exceptionally bad over the last 2 years, ketones omits a chemical in the body which produces a foul smelling odour from the mouth ( halitosis) which will disappear once good control is achieved, hopefully the pump will be the answer to her prays and life can return to normal again soon.

Nigel

jacquiel

Do you think it might be gastroparesis (google it ) food not digesting properly etc - can lead to foul smells - apparently more common in diabetics.

sue@ssh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please let us know if you find an answer. I suffer from this myself (so I've ascertained from problems at work, now since retired). GPs could find nothing and husband has no sense of smell so Im left in the dark. All I can do is ensure my hygiene is as perfect as possible and use deodorants etc.

It is depressing enough knoing something is wrong and doing everything you can, without snide or 'caring' remarks. Feel for you.

Sue

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Been reading through all the replies and I have a question. What are the Bg levels like throughout the day ? Recently going onto a pump would indicate there may be high Bg levels involved.

Yeast infections thrive on those high levels and hide in folds of skin and sesitive areas of the body. Whilst hygiene may be perfect the smell from some of these infections can be 'putrid' and very embarrassing for the sufferer. Not something that is easy for the person to admit to or even discuss.

Doesn't matter how much deodorant and bathing you do it can be very bad smelling. The cure is lower Bg levels and anti fungal creams from your GP.

Just a thought.......

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Thanks for the research -- I think :)

jopar

Not got any answers to source of smell as most have already been covered..

But the smell of insulin doesn't smell horried.. It actually smells very similar to antiseptic cream, an old fashioned one can't remember it's full name, but it's pink in colour used to be sold in small blue tin and called Cam (something)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jopar said:
Not got any answers to source of smell as most have already been covered..

But the smell of insulin doesn't smell horried.. It actually smells very similar to antiseptic cream, an old fashioned one can't remember it's full name, but it's pink in colour used to be sold in small blue tin and called Cam (something)

Is it Germolene your thinking of?

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's a tough one for women to own up to - but is your partner just farting? When I eat carbs, my farts stink to high heaven. Absolutely putrid! :twisted:

Anyway - it's an easy thing to rule out. Maybe she could try reducing the carbs for a few days and see if it makes any difference.

If it doesn't, what have you lost?

My Husband has type 2 diabetes.
Over the past couple of months he has begun to smell. It isn't a sickly sweet smell but rather a putrid smell. His blood glucose levels have been normal, he has good personal hygiene, and does not take insulin.
The smell is so bad that I can't stand to be near him. The children now notice it and talk about it.
In the morning my bedroom wreaks and unfortunately he doesn't notice it at all.
My Father in Law passed away from complications from diabetes and he had this bad smell before he died.
I checked his keytones and they were normal.
I spoke to his doctor and he was clueless.
There has to be an answer because I am at my wits end.

WhitbyJet

I have come across this before. The person affected is also type 2 diabetic. Highly embarrassing and upsetting it appears that it could be down to food left in the gut that is fermenting even though there are no other signs of any form of gastric or bowel complaints.
The poor guy eventually got rid of the offending odour by keeping tight control of his bg drinking home made kefir smoothies made with a slice of pineapple added to it. Pineapple have got enzymes to aid digestion.
If you don't want to make your own kefir there are other forms of probiotics just make sure they are sugarfree. Google for effective probiotics. The person I am writing about noticed an improvement after a couple of weeks I think he continued with this regime for around six months not sure actually.
All the best

Fallenstar

Hi Wife
I think WJ and Jacquiel may be on to something to help out here. Look into Gastroparesis, it is a complication of Diabetes,well can be. My Dad suffers from it due to three stomach ops not Diabetes but essentially it is the Vagus nerve that is damaged either due to Neuropathy, or surgery usually ,and the food does not get pushed through their system as normal.
People who suffer with it can get what are called Bezoars which are basically undigested lumps of food which ferment in the stomach, thus causing bad smells,and sometimes bacterial infections.

It can be controlled with meds but eating small well cooked meals ,and certainly if it is Diabetic related, good Glucose control will improve things. Might be worth have a word with your GP. I'm sure there could be lots of possible reasons behind it ,but it may be worth ruling out the Diabetic associated ones.

Hope you get things sorted

tinytim

jacquiel said:
Do you think it might be gastroparesis (google it ) food not digesting properly etc - can lead to foul smells - apparently more common in diabetics.

Yes to this - many thanks

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
This is useful, thanks :thumbup:

Yet another thing to look out for.