Bad way to lose weight

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Bad wat to lose weight

I'm sure that'll stop people trying those types of diets - but it won't stop people that are ON that type of diet from changing.

Results are pretty hard to argue with.

pianoman

Re: Bad wat to lose weight

Isn't it still a little early to be talking "results". Even the original Newcastle study went no further than 12 weeks after the diet ended.. and by then there was already a significant average regain of weight (3kg) with 7 people reverted to Pre-Diabetic (not normal) A1cs. I hope this diet works for you but please let's not raise hopes by counting chickens before they are hatched.

There are in my view, valid concerns about severely calorie-restricted diets and I think they ought to be discussed and considered. I don't think caution needs to be seen as a negative.

---
edited to add...

Have those trying or considering this starvation diet tried a low-carb approach? I can relate to summoning up the motivation for a short-term effort with a potential big pay-off; so why not use that drive to go "cold turkey" with a low-carb induction phase?

Not only can this set up up for a long-term sustainable way of eating, without the risk of starvation slowing your BMR or upsetting electrolyte balance... Without being hungry all the time and, in my experience, having comparable results to this Newcastle trial: improved BG results, improved insulin sensitivity, improved glucose tolerance, significant excess fat mass (not muscle) loss :?:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I will be going STRAIGHT onto induction as soon as the weight loss stops/stalls/plateaus. I think the weight lost through starvation (hopefully, from around organs) is different to the weight lost through lo-carb induced ketosis.

Although lo-carbing will lead to weight loss, I'm not convinced that the kind of initial weight lost through lo-carbing is the same as the weight lost through the shake regime. The week one weight loss on the regime has got my fasting BG's down to non-diabetic numbers. That is GOOD.

That's from personal experience of BOTH. (I know my Atkins/Bernstein pretty well, too.)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
by pianoman
Even the original Newcastle study went no further than 12 weeks after the diet ended.
Do you know that for a fact :?:

As far as i know all had support to carry on with healthy eating & life style fitness
Would seem very odd to me that subjects GP would not be forwarding
current BG ,Medication BP ,health onto the Newcastle team ,
What a waste of free ongoing data :roll:

I have very little muscle left now ? Arms ,Legs are like match sticks, former brick s#it house,
All I have built now is belly fat (Wheelchair Belly) :?

Yes I have done the low Carb worked fine when healthy and working,BG 5.5 Always with Meds
Since accident all went a bit Peat Tong ,Back on low cal now ,Its not shifting the wheelchair belly
Plus I am completely Inactive 11 points off a zombi :shock:
So I need to try something else , GP agrees ,so Monday 15th is lift off for me

pianoman

bowell said:
by pianoman
Even the original Newcastle study went no further than 12 weeks after the diet ended.
Do you know that for a fact :?:

As far as i know all had support to carry on with healthy eating & life style fitness
Would seem very odd to me that subjects GP would not be forwarding
current BG ,Medication BP ,health onto the Newcastle team ,
What a waste of free ongoing data :roll:. ..
Here is the full study which I recall you have already read? http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/Lim.pdf

I see no mention of either: follow up after the 12 weeks post diet testing, or any support beyond the 8 week diet.

They do mention as one of the several limitations of this trial that
further studies are required to determine the long-term outcome in respect of glucose regulation...
and I agree wholeheartedly that further long-term study is indeed required before reaching the conclusions that have been hyped about this approach.

They also state
The striking results seen at 8 weeks demanded experimental follow-up, and additional ethics permission was obtained to repeat the MRI studies and carry out OGTTs 12 weeks after completing the dietary intervention
Which strongly suggests to me (by the lack of additional follow-up being explicitly stated) that there was no follow-up beyond the 12 weeks

And I also note that the diet was a total of 600 calories a day, rather than the 600 from shakes + 200 from vegetables as some are saying in these threads...
After the baseline measurements, individuals with type 2 diabetes started the diet, which consisted of a liquid diet formula (46.4% carbohydrate, 32.5% protein and 20.1% fat; vitamins, minerals and trace elements; 2.1 MJ/day [510 kcal/day]; Optifast; Nestlé Nutrition, Croydon, UK). This was supplemented with three portions of non-starchy vegetables such that total energy intake was about 2.5 MJ (600 kcal)/day.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Yet if you read the study menu its 600 plus the 200 veg ex the same as the Optifast intensive Phase
The Optifast® VLCD™ products and 2 cups of low starch (green) vegetables (with 1 tsp of oil per day with vegetables) are the only sources of nutrition in this phase. The total daily calorie intake is <800 Cal per day
see
http://www.optifast.com.au/why-optifast-vlcd.aspx
Optifast extras looks a lot like the study menu :roll:
See
http://www.optifast.com.au/media/1786/optifast allowed foods.pdf

I received the information from the horses mouth ,You could say Two go to the same clinic as I
Always some notice up for Volunteers ,One now one for Alzheimer T2 over 60 ?

Do you not think my GP has asked some questions ? Its only 4 miles away
he also has some local knowledge :wink:

Study Menu Handed out with the Optifast packs
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

Sample Vegetable Recipes
Low Calorie Diet Programme
(800 calories per day)

Meal replacement with Optifast (3 sachets each day) – this provides a total of 600 calories and
the necessary daily vitamins and mineral requirements

Eat up to 3 portions of non-starchy vegetables each day (total of 250g each day) (for fibre
content) – this will provide another 200 calories

Drink - 3 litre of water or calorie-free beverages each day
A few on here have asked GP, and given the green light

I am not after the cure only Rid me of this wheelchair belly,
if it helps with my diabetes control ,drop a few drugs a Bonus
Diabetes will not kill me , My end is already written :?

Anyway I don't really need your approval , Only my GPs and mine
Others have made own minds up , You have made yours up fair play

I am going with the 3 meal replacements, plus the 200kcal veg for the fiber
I don't wish to add to my morphine constipation :oops:

[youtube]LQqq3e03EBQ[/youtube]

pianoman

bowell said:
Anyway I don't really need your approval , Only my GPs and mine
Others have made own minds up , You have made yours up fair play
You are absolutely right! You don't need my approval, you haven't asked for my approval nor have I expressed an opinion one way or the other as to whether I think you should undertake this approach. So far as I am concerned (and I realise you did not ask) the decision is between you and your HCPs... if you choose to involve them.

I have expressed concerns about this approach in general terms -- most notably that there has so far been no long-term follow-up, so the announcement of "results" seems premature -- but as above, I don't see why caution has to be seen as a negative. I like to think that there is room to compromise -- just because I am not for an approach does not mean I am against it. For myself I have no need to even try this, as low-carb has worked for me for several years now... funny thing is, I have been told my approach is extreme!

You asked a direct question about the follow-up and I answered as best I could, based on the published article. If you are now suggesting that the published peer-reviewed article was incomplete or inaccurate (in regards the diet at least) then quite honestly that only adds to my caution about this approach.

I sincerely wish you well and every success.

Rolf

Some people use some supplements to lose the weight I think this is the bad way to reduce the weight of the body. You should avoid to use these type of supplements for good health.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
I remember being told about a girl who stopped taking her insulin to loose weight. She ended up going blind :|

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Lot's of things can make you go blind...

...or so they tell teenage boys. :***: