Badly Bruised Toe After Football

drewster83

Hi,

I was playing football yesterday and 2 of us went to kick the ball within close proximity to each other, we both connected at the same time and my big toe felt the full force of the impact. I struggled to play on for the rest of the game and have been in agony ever since.

Obviously, we have to be careful with our feet. I am unable to put any pressure on it and can hardly move it. I'm having to walk on the side of my foot to compensate. I don't think it's broken but it is severly bruised below the nail, all along the top of the toe and the bottom of the nail has started to go black. My metatarsel on that toe is also proving uncomfortable.

Is it worth me heading to a Minor Injuries Unit (Hospital name removed) and highlighting the fact I'm diabetic as well? Any advice or previous experiences would be helpful.

Thanks,

Andrew

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya, if u think it may be broken then id go see, but if u are sure its not then just keep an eye on the nail, as diabetics we may not heal as quickly, i had a badly broken heel last yr and bad bruising last mnth due to my heavy horse :D

anniep

When I had my last foot check in August (and my feet are in the 'low risk' category) they told me never to take any chances with my feet.

sugar2

I would say go...but take a good book, and food and drink to last for at least 24 hours! I fell of treadmill, and sprained my ankle. I didn't go to A+E at first, but then thought...diabetics should look after their feet and went.

as I had not rushed to see them, they left me sitting for hours (not surprisingly really!) but then sent me jome with the RICE advice and nothing else. I told them I was diabtic, and got no extra checks because of it. The nurse even said, "well, as you can feel it, you clearly have no nerve problems".. :roll:

Please don't let me put you off, but be prepared for a long wait. I think minor injuries units are a bit better though regarding waiting times.Best to get it checked.

That sounds really painful though, you have my sympathy.

Tracey69

Hi
I think u should go and get it checked, but if you haven't yet try placing an ice pack on it but don't place it straight to the skin put a tea towel around it first. Do it for ten min and then take it off and continue this as it may help bring the bruising out.
Hope all goes well
Tracey