Baking with Splenda

layla42

Hi,

Just wondered if people have tried baking with Splenda? The website has loads of recipes on, but most seem to be for adults (sophisticated desserts etc), whereas I just bake with my 3 year old.

We have tried choc chip cookies (put in a lot less choc chips than it suggested, but enough to make my DD happy!) and they were edible - probably wouldn't have been improved by having sugar instead of Splenda!

Any other baking ideas? I want to make a cake for my DD's birthday in November, as she is better with less sugar, and her friend has nut allergy. But I haven't got a good easy recipe. Plus DD likes the icing best anyway - any ideas how to make icing be not very sugary? Or should I just let her have sugary icing if the cake is with Splenda?

Thanks for any help!

Layla x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have made successful meringues with Splenda.
Next time I bake (I don't know when as I'm low carb) I plan to use a littl fruit sugar in with the Splenda, I think it might help the texture.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Layla,
Try Googling Icing "without sugar" and you will find plenty of recipes.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hanadr -Meringues with splenda - can you let me know what proportions you use please as I would love to give these a go?
I got this off of the weightwatchers site so not sure if any good:
Ingredients
150 g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
24 teaspoon Tate & Lyle Splenda low Calorie Sweetener Granular, (or 8 tablespoons)
2 medium egg(s), beaten
7 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 tablespoon skimmed milk, mixed with 2 tbsp water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
9 level teaspoon low-calorie jam
1 teaspoon icing sugar, to dust
Instructions
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180C/fan oven 170C. Base line and spray with low fat cooking spray 2 x 18cm/7in cake tins.
Sift the flour and baking powder in to a bowl. Stir in the Splenda. Beat together the eggs, oil, milk and vanilla extract.
Using a large metal spoon carefully fold the wet ingredients into the dry until well combined. The mixture should have a soft dropping consistency. Spoon into the prepared tins and bake for 25 mins. A skewer inserted should come out clean when cooked
Cool for 5 mins in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack. Remove the base lining and leave to cool.
Spread one cake with the jam and place the other on top. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Chef Tips
Cakes baked with Splenda do not display the normal cooked signs like springing back when touched or looking slightly shrunken from the sides, so the most reliable method is to use a skewer that when inserted comes out clean.
As Splenda does not have the preserving qualities of sugar it is best to store this cake in an airtight container in the fridge. Keeps for 2-3 days.

I have a diabetic recipe book at home that has a victoria sponge made with a small amount of suger rather than using splenda and buttercream icing made using splenda and low fat marg which was ok - I added vanilla to it.

I recently took several diabetic cookbookc out of the libary and wrote out all the ones I can do with my 4 year old son. He is not diabetic (I am ) but I figured they would be better for him anyway and we love baking together so wanted something we could both eat.

hth
Louise x

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Surely egg WHITES, not eggs, Louise.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
IanD - I copied and pasted from the site so guess as it eggs as it says (why not if you are eating cake you are not low carbing) I wasn't told eggs were a problem. As I said, I haven't tried this one yet, I just found it.
Louise

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Recipe for Splenda meringues
3 large eggwhites
6 rounded tablespoonsful Splenda.
Method
wipe bowl with a piece od lemon ( helps de-grease and speeds whisking.)
whisk until stiff peaks stage.
whisk in half the Splenda and fold in the rest, carefully).
Pipe onto non-stick paper. Put in oven at slowest temp available for 1/2 an hour to an hour
Switch off and leave for several hours (overnight is ideal)
These meringues are very brittle and sweet.
The last batch I made, I coloured pinkand I took to my exercise class to celebrate the birth of my grand daughter.
Next time will be her Christening. I plan to replace half the Splenda with the equivalent of Fructose, to see if the texture is stronger. I haven't worked out the quantity yet. I knoe fructose isn't too good for us, but a little occasionally can't hurt.

Dr. Nic

Hi,

My hubby has a slightly sweet tooth, so I make him loads of experimental cakes.

My cakes are sugar free though. I don't use Spenda or any other sweeteners because my hubby (type 1) has strange reactions to them.

The best results I've had have been with fruit instead of sugar. So if I'm making a date and walnut cake for example, I'd use an egg, w/m flour, ground almonds, walnuts (whole and crushed) soaked and blended dates, a few spices and a banana - stick it all in a blender and give it a good mix and them into the oven until its cooked. For an icing, well the best one I've found is simply melted high % chocolate (low in carbs) poured over the cake and left to set. Can't be beaten!!

I use most fruits instead of sugar although banana's are the best. Dried fruits are also good, just soak them in warm water to rehydrate then put in the blender to make mushy. Prunes are extremely sweet and so are dates! They add just enough sweetness for a cake.

Just experiement! Nic.