Balsamic vinegar

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Balsamic vinegar seems surprisingly sugary: have any of you experienced significant rises in BG from balsamic, or is it OK for you in small doses? Would wine or malt vinegar be a better substitute?

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Balsamic vinegar seems surprisingly sugary: have any of you experienced significant rises in BG from balsamic, or is it OK for you in small doses? Would wine or malt vinegar be a better substitute?
Hi @Geordie_P ..
Balsamic vinegar = 17g carbs per 100g
Malt Vinegar = 13.3 g carbs per 100g
White wine vinegar = 0.5g carbs per 100g
White wine = 2.6g carbs per 100g
I know what I'd rather have .. ;)

D

Deleted Account

Sure, the per 100g value for balsamic is high.
But how much do you have?
If you are having a couple of splashes, that will be less than 1g of carbs.

B

badcat

I think it varies greatly depending on the type of balsamic you buy
My not so guilty peasure is 25yr old aged balsamic which is very much more concentrated and syrupy (not to mention expensive) than the thinner varieties, it is also much sweeter but a little goes a long waŷ. I like it mixed with hazelnut oil ot a splash neat on strawberries with a grind of pepper
The nutrition info is also quite different at 7g carbs per tbsp so nearly 50g carbs per 100ml
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/b-r-cohn-balsamic-vinegar-25-year-aged-569640199?v2=false
As I sad tho, you only need a v small amount ( 1-2 tsp on salad)
Balsamic glazes are also higher carb as they are a) reductions and b) often have sweetness added via conc fruit juice

Last edited by a moderator:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have the most amazing tasting balsamic vinegar ever - its called Belazu from Waitrose. it transforms salads. I use a splash of it on most foods and I have not noticed it doing anything much, its 82.5 g carbs per 100 and therefore should be a total no no. However I rarely use more than about 2-3 g in a dish .

Following Dr Jason Fung I am a great believer in drinking vinegar. To the extent that I maintain a jar of chilli flavoured pickled onions in my fridge, I top it up as 10 parts malt vinegar and 1 part belazu. i take a big swig before each meal - its reasonably moreish - which is I assume the carb content, - overall however I think its additive to my health.

In the end vinegar is good for you - it you like the low carb ones best clearly that's better, if the balsamic ones help you consume more vinegar overall then that's good too as long as its a splash and not a sea! .

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks friends,
that should be enough to go on: I'll give white wine vinegar a try, and when I use balsamic, I'll go for the minimal splash. As you say, a little does go a long way with the black stuff.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it varies greatly depending on the type of balsamic you buy
My not so guilty peasure is 25yr old aged balsamic which is very much more concentrated and syrupy
If its named "Aceto balsamico tradizionale di Modena DOP" aged 25 years is a pretty different product and way more costly rather than "Aceto balsamico di Modena IGP"
https://www.parmashop.com/italiano/...zionale-di-modena-dop-invecchiato-anni-1.html

https://www.parmashop.com/italiano/aceto-balsamico/aceto-balsamico-biologico-di-modena-igp.html

https://www.amazon.it/balsamico-modena-confezione-millilitri-1000061991/dp/B01A8UZTDE/

And the "things" marked "Balsamic vinegar" without the IGP mark, could be of worse quality, like the so called "parmesan" vs. Parmigiano Reggiano