Banaba Leaf Extract

SweetHeart

Banaba not banana.....Does anyone take this supplement and have you found that it helps?

This is what I've read about it;

Banaba, also known as Crepe Myrtle, Queen's Flower and Pride of India, is a medicinal plant that grows in India, Southeast Asia and the Philippines. Banaba Leaf extract contains a compound known as corosolic acid, which can safely lower blood sugar levels. By keeping blood sugar and insulin levels in check, Banaba helps you control food cravings. This makes it useful for anyone who wants to lose weight.
Banaba is a plant that grows in India, Southeast Asia and the Philippines. Traditional uses include brewing tea from the leaves as a treatment for diabetes and elevated blood sugar. Banaba Leaf extract contains a triterpenoid compound known as corosolic acid, which has actions in stimulating glucose transport into cells. Studies show that corosolic acid can safely lower blood glucose levels. In diabetic mice, rats and rabbits, Banaba feeding reduces elevated blood sugar and insulin levels to normal. In humans with Type 2 diabetes, Banaba extract, taken for four to eight weeks, has been shown to be effective in reducing blood sugar levels (five percent to thirty percent reduction) and maintaining tighter control of blood sugar fluctuations. In one study, subjects who took the supplement over a twenty-two-week period had a thirty percent drop in blood sugar levels. They also averaged a weight loss of 3.2 pounds per month without changing their diet.
For some people, fluctuations in blood sugar and insulin are related to appetite, hunger and various food cravings - particularly craving for carbohydrates such as bread and sweets.
By keeping blood sugar and insulin levels in check, Banaba helps people to lose weight safely and quickly. At suggested doses, no adverse side effects are expected from Banaba. Higher doses should be avoided, however, to prevent dizziness or fatigue, which can happen with extremely low blood sugar levels. Blood sugar control is enhanced with small amounts of Banaba taken one-to-three times daily. Most users report a reduction in food cravings, especially for high-carbohydrate foods like bread, cereal, pizza and cookies. A small loss of weight (three-four pounds per month) is not uncommon, due to the lower blood sugar and insulin levels. Some weight-loss experts believe that Banaba extract is more effective when combined with other ingredients such as Kola Nut (caffeine) and Green Tea.

Any views on this?

Julia

SweetHeart

I found it on Amazon, although I haven't bought any. Today though, MH tried Bitter Melon capsules for the first time. His postprandial breakfast reading was 6.7mmol (Breakfast = 2 slices Burgen bread, butter & half sugar marmalade & tea) The first capsule was taken right after lunch and the Postprandial lunch was 5.5mmol (lunch was 3 Rye Ryvita laden with pate, gherkins & olives and a pear) So, quite a drop in levels there - we're impressed so far but, we'll keep monitoring the bitter melon and see how it goes.

Julia

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes will give it a try along with the bitter melon , cinnamon, chromium and others :D . I take around 4g of bm 4 caps at brekkie and 4 at dinner works a treat as spike reducer although doesnt seem to knock anything off my fasting levels. The cinnamon does a bit for fasting as far as i can tell.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patch and Xyzzy, our forum guinea pigs :thumbup:

wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure if they've got them there but the site I use is Puritans Pride for anything I want. Never had any problems with them ans as they are not UK based, you can get stuff I've never even heard of.

wiflib

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
wiflib said:

wiflib
Actually the most effective bg control thing I've found by some considerable margin is gin. 2 g&ts stopped a slice of choco birthday cake last weekend and 3 g&ts stopped 2 luverly thick slices of homemade bread and a pile of onion rings at a great pub meal I had on saturday night. Obviously not an everyday thing but definitely xyzzy's little helper :lol: In both cases kept under 6 when normally would be double figures on that intake.

SweetHeart

I'm just adding the result of the post-dinner Bitter Melon capsule;

MH's reading at 8pm was 5.6mmol. Dinner was Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise sauce on one piece of unbuttered Burgen toast, 3 rashers of bacon, one sausage and mushrooms cooked in butter.

These are the lowest readings he's had so far. I'm going to record his meals, fasting and postprandial readings and see how it goes. I did read that the effects of Bitter Melon were instant, but we really are quite amazed at just how instantaneous they were!

Julia

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
wiflib said:
Not sure if they've got them there but the site I use is Puritans Pride for anything I want. Never had any problems with them ans as they are not UK based, you can get stuff I've never even heard of.

wiflib
Yep bought a load of stuff off Puritans Pride soon after I was diagnosed, recommended

SweetHeart

xyzzy said:
wiflib said:

wiflib
Actually the most effective bg control thing I've found by some considerable margin is gin. 2 g&ts stopped a slice of choco birthday cake last weekend and 3 g&ts stopped 2 luverly thick slices of homemade bread and a pile of onion rings at a great pub meal I had on saturday night. Obviously not an everyday thing but definitely xyzzy's little helper :lol: In both cases kept under 6 when normally would be double figures on that intake.

Half a glass of red is pretty good too and I think you'd be safe in having that every night... :wink: Mais oui!

You can buy bitter melon and banaba leaf from both Amazon and eBay. I know Holland & Barrett don't stock them.

Jules

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ordered some Banaba off eBay. Got the 3000mg 12:1 caps. If you read they have a minimum of 1% corosolic acid which is roughly the right dose. Looking around no one seems to think there's any side effects. Will try them out!

Also if anyone's interested there's an eBay seller selling Bitter Melon caps in batches of 10 bottles. You can get 600 caps for around £25

Looks like you can buy Banaba powder by the kilo from the same supplier that another very kind forum member gave me to buy Bitter Melon powder by the kilo. That's going to be my final way of doing this stuff once I can get a 000 size cap making machine.

SweetHeart

Another first; This morning's fasting BG level was 6.8. :D

Every morning before today has been no lower than 8.7.

I feel like we should be running around the garden with our t-shirts pulled up over our heads!

Julia

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread is EXTREMELY promising!!! Some good results, and info on buying/dosing yourself!

Looks like I need to get me some Bitter Melon caps...