Barefoot Advice

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Not sure where to post this but here seems as good as any. Is there any other barefooters out there? I was born and brought up in Rhodeisa now zimbabwe and l dont do shoes. I wear them if l have to like going to work, and in some shops l put them on but often don't. Yes l walk around the streets barefoot. And l drive barefoot.... and no it isnt illegal. Crocks are a lifesaver before them my feet suffered even more in shoes when l had to wear them even for short times.

In winter l sometimes use socks but still walk barefoot even shot distances but as the top of my feet get cold l do tend to put my crocks on... not always socks though.

I mentioned it to the DN at my first visit along with the info hell will freeze over before l start shoes... her reply with a huge smile "they are going to love you then, they like lace up shoes.

The problem is my feet are used to fresh air and suffer badly in shoes, l have a feeling it is going to be a bit like the nhs treat the VLCD as the brits have a pathological fear of barefeet, l am no longer polite to people who make comments to me in the street.

Anyone any hints about what l will face at the podiatrist and or are you barefooters yourselves. Ok if l end up with a problem l will look at shoes but till then l am not going to cause a different problem by following their rules to stop one problem.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They're your feet.
Do with them as you wish.
I never wore socks for about 30 years.
Now my feet get cold. I wear socks.
I still prefer trainers, and I'll wear a comfy pair until my socks wear out on the pavement. It'll then take me days to find another pair.
Work boots? I should wear them, but can I move my foot in trainers faster then I would have needed steel toe capped boots. So far yes.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Well if others are not wearing any special footwear and just a case of keeping an eye on things l will hopefully be ok, who knows l may have a sensible podiatrist.

Andy a friend of ours who made custom shoes saw my feet once, he hauled me off the chair snarling told me to stay on my back feet on paper on his chair, grabbed a couple knives, cheese grater, pumice stone scissors various sandpapers and some other bits spent well over a couple of hours trying to make my feet less leather like and less obnoxious to his feelings.... he failed though :))
I lay on my back having my first very weird pedicure and a general conversation like you do with friends. hub supped coffee and accepted it as totally unsurprising turn of events.

Only time l have hurt my feet is when l have had shoes on l have a few (about 3) times trodden on nails that have gone through shoe sole, foot out top of shoe...luckily they have had wood on so l just stand on the wood rip foot up hard and fast and continue what l was doing, albeit with a limp

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my wife tries to get rid of the hard skin on her feet, this is nuts, your feet grow hard skin to protect themselves, if you didnt need it, it wouldnt be there, i wear socks and trainers all the time and have no hard skin on my feet, because they dont need it, dont let anyone imprison your feet lol, your feet deserve to be free :) name the left nelson and the right mandela

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l do use heel repair creme about 3 times a yr in summer as thats when l get cracks up to at times 2mm.> deep. I need to avoid the podiatrist in summer l think if they see my feet in full glory they will freak.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I have rheumatoid arthritis many years and it is painful to go without footwear indoors or out. As a diabetic I was always advised that footwear is needed at all time as if a cut/ abrasion/ blister occurs it can get very nasty very quickly and take some considerable time to heal. We are, however, all different.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anyone any hints about what l will face at the podiatrist and or are you barefooters yourselves. .

Expect a telling off at the very least I would say. They don't recommend that diabetics walk around bare-footed due to the potential injury and time scale in which it takes heal, also small cuts and blisters can lead to more serious problems which don't bear thinking about tbh. However as already said they are your feet and I'm sure your already aware of the risks.

There's an excellent heel balm that I use for dry and cracked feet and it came recommended by my Podiatrist, it's called Flexitol and is safe to use on diabetic feet.

Janine22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to say as a podiatrist I would have to advise you to wear some form of supportive footwear. It is our job to inform you of things to help protect and look after your feet but we cannot force you. All we can do is give you as . Much information as possible on the pros and cons and allow you to make an informed decision. That way if any problems develop that could lead to serious complications like amputation you are fully aware it is your choice.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How does one prevent cracks and callouses cracking (exposing the delicate dermis below) which then cause heel pain?

You can get callous cream from most pharmacy's, the Flexitol Heel Balm I mentioned earlier is excellent product to use on cracked and dry feet.

Reactions: 4 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Collectingrocks as l say l get deep cracks in summer especially but they very rarely hurt l assume due to depth of the hard skin. It is annoying not sore, and l spend hours tearing off chunks and strips of dead skin while reading or looking at tv. The problem isnt pain but in bed they catch on the sheets and annoy me, and wear through the sheets as it is basically rubbing them with sandpaper.

Thanks Nobelhead, l will bear the cream in mind if l need i

Alan l can understand why you couldn’t go without shoes as you say we are all different.

Thanks Janine, Foot health wise l have been barefoot for the best part of 51 years and l have lot of problems with shoes they cause me fungus, sore feet, sweat, blisters, rubbing l am in more danger with the problems shoes cause than a problem l don't yet have.

At the moment the only hole is the one on top from where l was pulling the over long bit of torn nail off that was catching on the duvet.....l don't use scissors, just pick and tear the nail off, a bit of skin got caught and tore, it happens l live with it.
It is on the top of the foot not the bottom...shoes socks, steel toe boots wouldn't have stopped it happening. l am thinking instead of my years of pulling bits of toenail off l should file them.. trying scissors is a no go like my cooking, once tried best not done.

Reading this has decided me that when l go in as soon as l get inside l had better make my points then if they don't like it l can walk out before l even sit down.
Advice of what to look out for is fine. If someone seems reasonable and just says ok well your life watch out for x y and z fine but if they do try lecture me l wont tolerate it.
Problem is l have a very hair trigger temper, my folks went through hell at the "gentle hands" of the local nhs over the last few years.....well lets say l am and known to the complaints department at the local hospital, the head a & e consultant and various departments and heads of said places at hospital and psych hospital, heads of nursing the local nhs trust director, the care commission, etc.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Of course they'll try to lecture you.
From your description they'll see your feet and mess themselves.
They're there to try to make your feet stay on your legs as long as possible, and tbh, they'd be rubbish at their job if they didn't lecture you.
No offense, as you are who you are, but you're not their normal customer, If you really don't want to hear what they say, don't go. There is no point in upsetting both of you, particularly if you have a hair trigger, they don't deserve that.

Listen to them, then try to come to a compromise, as what they'll say will be good advice, fitting it to your lifestyle is for the two of you to work out, without the arguments.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks Douglas l am fast thinking past saying as soon as l go in...... l am at point of wont bother going for me there is no "their job" about it. Nore is there a compromise for us to work out.

Their only job is to say look out for whatever may go wrong this is the warning signs if anything and like with my parents (who wore shoes) clip toenails if they want sandpaper hard skin off and say goodbye.

l will decide on the day whether l will bother doing see what mood l am in.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks for all the replies I realise l may come across as angry it isnt angry more upset....in the low carb forum (and l have just become a low carber) people are encouraged to deal with the health "professionals" and encouraged to do what we want to do, despite of all that the literature (and always in a state of flux as new things are learnt) the nhs uses because we have proof it is good for our numbers and ultimately health.

l guess the comments here have answered my question no one fully noticed the problems caused possibly because barefoot is to far out of the psyche of the brits.
There seemed to be a thought by some l deserved a rough ride despite my explaining the problems shoes cause that l should wear shoes have all the problems and if the result is.....Opps we need to chop your feet as shoes caused you unsurmountable problems but hey just think what may have happened if we let you walk round barefoot.

Will stop replying on this thread and just go back to safe questions in the low carb and other forums as l dont want to upset people who were trying to be helpful :(

MID

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im with you, free your feet... free your feet... free your f......

if god wanted us to wear shoes......

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for all the replies I realise l may come across as angry it isnt angry more upset....in the low carb forum (and l have just become a low carber) people are encouraged to deal with the health "professionals" and encouraged to do what we want to do, despite of all that the literature (and always in a state of flux as new things are learnt) the nhs uses because we have proof it is good for our numbers and ultimately health.

l guess the comments here have answered my question no one fully noticed the problems caused possibly because barefoot is to far out of the psyche of the brits.
There seemed to be a thought by some l deserved a rough ride despite my explaining the problems shoes cause that l should wear shoes have all the problems and if the result is.....Opps we need to chop your feet as shoes caused you unsurmountable problems but hey just think what may have happened if we let you walk round barefoot.

Will stop replying on this thread and just go back to safe questions in the low carb and other forums as l dont want to upset people who were trying to be helpful :(

MID

To be fair

"Problem is l have a very hair trigger temper,"
does make you appear you could be angry.

You don't need to deal with the health "professionals", it's not a fight with a winner and loser, it's far better to work with them, they do have years of training and experience, and will offer advice. It may not be advice that you feel suits you, but if you work with them, it can be. If you don't it's simply a standoff, with two losers.

"barefoot is to far out of the psyche of the brits." if you realise that,, you'll know where they're coming from.

You didn't say "explaining your problems", you said "as soon as l get inside l had better make my points then if they don't like it l can walk out before l even sit down."

No one gave you a rough ride, the worst you got was agreement you have feet they will want to improve on, I've been honest, you described your feet, complete with holes, what do you think you're going to be like to them?

I would always suggest you go, give them a chance, who knows, you may be lucky and find someone who accepts your extreme lifestyle straight off, or maybe not, but whether you like it or not, your lifestyle now includes diabetes, so if you can accept you won't eat carbs anymore, you need to consider you may also have to accept advice on your feet.
To be brutally honest, you need to consider all complications.
A good bs isn't the only thing you need.

(as to safe questions, why? I'd rather have debate, a group hug won't tell me anything. Right, wrong, as least it's more information than I had before, I can choose to ignore it, but I'd rather hear it. So I hope you keep posting, I doubt we'll agree on feet, but I cant see any reason to fall out over that, as I do hope you get the best solution that suits you)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks Douglas l was worried l was annoying folks hence backing off yes you make sense on some things but however l did post the problems shoes cause ...up there ^^^ will put it down here again VVV (saves scroll through my waffle and ok first time l didnt put in all the problems in full but l did later)

***Foot health wise l have been barefoot for the best part of 51 years and l have lot of problems with shoes they cause me fungus, sore feet, sweat, blisters, rubbing l am in more danger with the problems shoes cause than a problem l don't yet have.

At the moment the only hole is the one on top from where l was pulling the over long bit of torn nail off that was catching on the duvet.....l don't use scissors, just pick and tear the nail off, a bit of skin got caught and tore, it happens l live with it.
It is on the top of the foot not the bottom...shoes socks, steel toe boots wouldn't have stopped it happening. l am thinking instead of my years of pulling bits of toenail off l should file them.. trying scissors is a no go like my cooking, once tried best not done***

Make my points/explaining the problems different wording same meaning to me but obviously came across differently.

The general feeling that came across was l deserved to be lectured for barefeet and if you want to **** me (or most people off) then start in on them. Although l am more hair trigger than most people about 30 seconds and l blow. I have learnt that there is only one way to deal with nhs people, certainly in the local area.
l seriously have little to no respect for the bulk of them, about 99.5% of who l have dealt with, it is actually depressing to think the people "trusted" with my and family's health have been as they have. In fact it is several years before not just since 2010 when Dad then Hub died (though with hub nhs not involved in that it was a cause of a lot what happened afterwards to mum) and this year Mum died. It goes back several years before that of my folks and their mis-scripting of drugs, mistreatment and mis-diagnosis in hospital and at the dr. To the degree the local hospital admitted my dads mistreatment at one incident is logged as a major incident due to their treatment and yes they had tried to hide it from us.

As to danger l know the risks and accept them (see last post you replied to) What l want is a poddy to say look out for x y z if this happens then then get help or keep an eye.

No matter what you do to make something safe you need to draw a line and lead your life. My husband died skydiving in a collision with a friend yet he was one of the safest people known, The lass was as safe as she was able as well, neither messed about they knew the risks and did what they could to minimize them, it was a total accident and being as safe as he and she was didn't stop it, how it happened no-one knows.
And yes l still support skydiving totally, fairly regularly go to the drop zone, due to problems skimmed over above unable to go more. It is like a second home and the jumpers who were his friends, now mine from around the world have got me through the last 3 years of hell and problems. yes I have regrets the time l lost by working and not being with him, and that we didn't die together, but not the pleasure that Brian got from jumping, and not the fact he passed doing what he loved. I am sorry that his friend passed and glad of the people who are our friends and a couple l even think of as family. Many normal people (non skydivers) don't understand my attitude with jumping.

I don't think l can ever be accused of having my head in the sand and ignoring things, l look at a situation, make a plan and deal with it bearing in mind the above paragraph.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get them to teach you to do a thorough foot examination, check your feet regularly for ssensitivity also, if it gets to the point where you can injure your feet without being immdiately aware then it will be time for you to consider that you may need to accept that it is no longer safe.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've very sorry for your loss.

But do go and see them.
They're just people like us, some are good, some are bad. Some are opinionated, some aren't.
I've found good ones in the nhs, that helped me personally.
But then again, they still have feelings, so if you upset them, they'll not be as good as they could be.
I appreciate your point of view, but again even though for the best part of the 51 years you've been barefoot, you weren't at the risk of the complications diabetes puts you at now.

I could give you a personal example, I did the same as you, piece of wood, large nail, straight through my shoe. However, it hit a bone, and bent the nail over, so it wouldn't come out when I pulled.
Eventually, in a&e, paramedic, ambulance, pissing themselves, and I knew them all, after the x ray, we decided the best thing was to get a (big) male nurse to pull, as it wouldn't hit anything, while I braced myself, or wait hours for a theatre. (I'm also allergic to entonox)

Key point, as I'm diabetic, I had to have a shot of some immunoglobulin before they let me out.
That, and bandage my foot to reduce swelling, and drive (oddly) with a boot on that foot, and a trainer on the other for a while.

So life is different, but not worse.
And the nhs can help sometimes, even if they've messed up before.
At the end of the day, you don't have to heed what they say, but it's always worth listening first before deciding.

Sorry if it sounds as if I'm lecturing you as well.