BBC1 EastEnders - Type 2 Diabetes story line?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
At the poker game the other night, Ian was saying he didn't want to get his test results as they might show he had cancer. From reading the paper today it seems in tonight's episode he decides he will go to get them.

Reactions: 13lizanne
C

chris lowe

At the poker game the other night, Ian was saying he didn't want to get his test results as they might show he had cancer. From reading the paper today it seems in tonight's episode he decides he will go to get them.

Two episodes tonight

Reactions: 13lizanne
C

chris lowe

So Ian is pre diabetic & has to make lifestyle changes before he goes blind, gets his foot amputated & goes into a coma. Glad she's not my doctor

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not clear that he is even pre-diabetic, just that he is at high risk of becoming diabetic. Still he says he is going to make big changes to his diet and lifestyle.
So is that the end of this storyline. Will he make the changes and become healthier, or will he backslide and become diabetic?

Reactions: chris lowe

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I don't watch Eastenders anymore it got far to depressing
Was ok with dirty Den & Angie the Fowlers and Beales in the early days but my god it's all doom doom doom

If the story does develop along the diabetes route let's hope it will benefit viewers newly diagnosed along with their families

Reactions: chris lowe

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So Ian Beale got his HbA1c test result, and it's 7.4. His GP said he is diabetic, though that would be in the pre-diabetes range.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A

Avocado Sevenfold

The GP didn't say 7.4%, she said 7.4 so I assumed that was 7.4 mmol/L which would be an HbA1c (IFCC) of 44, in the pre-diabetic range.
You're right though, it probably was 7.4% as she did say he was diabetic.
It is confusing right enough. The BBC usually likes to educate us mortals so you would think they would have done a bit of research. I caught a bit of EE last week and saw Ian struggling to control his appetite and being scolded by his missus. His "naughty" foods were cold meat, strawberries and red wine hehe.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I vary between liking and loving the Eastenders (and downright hating it sometimes and needing to give it a rest, sometimes for years), but this Ian Beale with diabetes storyline is driving me mad, for sure.

So mad, I came back to this forum :) after a long absence, to discuss it. Who else would want to discuss this sort of thing in such numbers? (Yay!) But an Eastenders liking/loving diabetic. Yep, that's me, for sure.

Because nutrition information being right is important to us in terms of our lives - just as it is to the Ian Beale character (or, at least his wife and housemates? good grief!). We get mighty mad when they get it wrong.

I am very pleased to see UKers writing in complaints about this - and such a good strongly worded one as in the 'Eastenders complaint' thread entry. The BBC needs to hear this! Because the quality of the lives and health of diabetics is at stake, and the BBC is obviously thinking it is some kind of educational capacity here. And they are promoting a quarter plate of high carbs at every meal. With a pic of a wheat I think it is? To boot. Take a look at this screenshot of the food pyramid promoting plate nonsense of an episode last week or the week before. Yes, a quarter plate of carbs for a diabetic. Groan! More than groan - "Throw that plate across the room Ian!" groan! Tell your wife and housemates to get off your back! Especially promoting so many carbs.

Very interesting to read in the complaint thread that the actor who plays Ian Beale went on a low carb diet to lose weight in real life, written about in the complaint thread. Real interesting. What a shame HE couldn't have affected the research/writing and script?
eastenders nutritional advice to diabetics.png

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I vary between liking and loving the Eastenders (and downright hating it sometimes and needing to give it a rest, sometimes for years), but this Ian Beale with diabetes storyline is driving me mad, for sure.

So mad, I came back to this forum :) after a long absence, to discuss it. Who else would want to discuss this sort of thing in such numbers? (Yay!) But an Eastenders liking/loving diabetic. Yep, that's me, for sure.

Because nutrition information being right is important to us in terms of our lives - just as it is to the Ian Beale character (or, at least his wife and housemates? good grief!). We get mighty mad when they get it wrong.

I am very pleased to see UKers writing in complaints about this - and such a good strongly worded one as in the 'Eastenders complaint' thread entry. The BBC needs to hear this! Because the quality of the lives and health of diabetics is at stake, and the BBC is obviously thinking it is some kind of educational capacity here. And they are promoting a quarter plate of high carbs at every meal. With a pic of a wheat I think it is? To boot. Take a look at this screenshot of the food pyramid promoting plate nonsense of an episode last week or the week before. Yes, a quarter plate of carbs for a diabetic. Groan! More than groan - "Throw that plate across the room Ian!" groan! Tell your wife and housemates to get off your back! Especially promoting so many carbs.

Very interesting to read in the complaint thread that the actor who plays Ian Beale went on a low carb diet to lose weight in real life, written about in the complaint thread. Real interesting. What a shame HE couldn't have affected the research/writing and script?View attachment 23139
Is it just me or does that plate look like a side plate? Where is his dinner plate I have never seen this plate at Dr's or otherwise and thank goodness! If I was to be presented with it I don't think I would be able to control myself from being quite rude! Is he supposed to eat off it whilst his family have 'normal' crockery how offencive.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Is it just me or does that plate look like a side plate? Where is his dinner plate I have never seen this plate at Dr's or otherwise and thank goodness! If I was to be presented with it I don't think I would be able to control myself from being quite rude! Is he supposed to eat off it whilst his family have 'normal' crockery how offencive.

Absolutely! I agree. Another reason for Ian Beale to throw that plate across the room! (And no - that was for a main meal. There is quite a bit of nonsense about portion control in it - and not a mention of the word 'carbohydrate'!)

The scenes with him and his partner have made me thank my own partner profusely for being such a great partner-of-a-diabetic - I would have chucked him out if he gave me lectures like that and food off such a plate! Indeed.

Reactions: Bon83