Becoming A Fitness Freak!

So I’m waiting for the doctor to call back, wondering what else he has to say. And I’ve terrified myself with a morning’s online research. Complications, organ failure, thrush! God knows what else I have in store. And I was so looking forward to my telegram from the palace...

Anyway, my wife is working on a dietary shopping list and I need something useful to do.

So I’ve been considering options for a sporting activity that I could take up for a regular cardiovascular workout. I’m not completely sedentary as it is, but a stroll along the river with a fly rod, or target shooting at my local club hardly gets the heart pumping. Although every now and then I catch a fish or hit a bulls-eye...

I used to run a bit (ok, 30 years ago), but my legs wouldn’t take the punishment these days. And anyway… yawn! I used to play tennis and squash (ok, 30 years ago too), but I haven’t got any tennis-y or squashy(!) friends any more; and of course even if I did I’d be unlikely to get 20 to 30 minutes of it 3 to 4 times a week. Which is what the doctor recommended at my first check-up.

And then I remembered that I used to cycle a lot. Could I become a Diabetic Fitness Freak?

It wasn’t ‘lycra-nutter’ stuff, but 15 miles every day commuting to work, and some long distance touring such as right across Ireland with camping gear strapped to every spare inch of the bike. I now live amongst rolling hills with narrow picturesque country lanes, about 6 miles from my nearest town. So taking up cycling again would be the one thing that I might enjoy enough to stick at it and not feel that my life is being horribly ruined as a diabetic.

A few minutes online and I was bewildered by the choice and the technological advances since I last bought a new bicycle 25 years ago. Popping into Halfords and pointing at the nice orange one without a thought as to whether it was suitable for me somehow doesn’t seem appropriate this time around. Mountain bikes, ‘hybrids’ and the like weren’t really options back then.

So I’ve read a few forums and worked through a few ‘select your new bike’ features here and there and ordered something which I hope will fit the bill. And to top it all off, my new GT Transeo 2.0 Disc has hydraulic disc brakes. I’m not sure my car even has those! (it’s a 16 year old Renault, by the way).

Retail therapy for diabetic fitness – takes your mind off the downsides. Briefly.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It does. It will fill your mind and obsess you, it still does me even after 6 mths.
But any exercise is good.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes there's no reason why you can't get fitter provided you are healthy and run it by your gp first, I cycle and walk miles every week as well as work-out on the weights...... although this isn't as regular as the cycling and walking.

Keeping fit will benefit you in the long-term not only in your diabetes management but also helping with the prevention of CVD.

Good luck and let us know how you get on! :)

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Well done!

Being a Diabetic Fitness Freak is a good thing. I'm one :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Me too, I've gone from not being able to run for 30s when I was diagnosed to knocking off 20 miles a week.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
When I was first diagnosed I immediately bought a treadmill, rowing machine, medicine ball and kettle bells. WHY... asked my husband.. we live next to a common and a few minutes from the river.... ah I replied, I won't have any excuse such as bad weather not to use them and they will look at me making me feel guilty if I don't do it. I know he thought I was using it as an excuse to indulge my love of online shopping but it works for me... having spent that much money I make sure one of them gets used every day! I have now bought a road bike... shame its been raining so much!! :lol:

Truffle said:
When I was first diagnosed I immediately bought a treadmill, rowing machine, medicine ball and kettle bells. WHY... asked my husband.. we live next to a common and a few minutes from the river.... ah I replied, I won't have any excuse such as bad weather not to use them and they will look at me making me feel guilty if I don't do it. I know he thought I was using it as an excuse to indulge my love of online shopping but it works for me... having spent that much money I make sure one of them gets used every day! I have now bought a road bike... shame its been raining so much!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I was never very athletic, although I come from an athletic family. My brother and one uncle were Olympians. 1940 and 1968
Nowadays I do 3 sessions of aquafit per week and 3 sessions in the gym, plus some hiking.
My DSN says I've reduced my CVD risks considerably. I'm maintaining a weightloss of about 20Kg, but can't get any more off [and no I'm not at an ideal weight.]
I really miss my exercise if I don't get it. I also try to walk as much as possible. I use the car only when I need to and the buses when I'm with the grandchildren, who love riding on the bus.
I even own a hoody! a bright red one. I have trousers with "go faster" stripes anda Nike tee-shirt. I look the business. too old and fat to wear the lycra posing gear that the young ones do [even the ones with wobbly bits :shock: ]
Hana

Defren

I'm another. From doing not a single ounce of exercise, I now walk on my treadmill for at least half an hour every single day. Yesterday I did over an hour, and I do aim for an hour a day, and usually manage it. It is good for us, and makes me feel so much better. My body now feels so sluggish if I don't do some exercise each day.

simply_h

Hello All,

This thread made me laugh.. As I thought about myself.

Since I got told about the dreaded D word I have changed (was only 34, so quite young, so to say in my view), changed to the point that every one that sees me say, "Gosh are you OK", when I reply "Yea I am fine, why you ask"?, they reply "Cos you have lost so much weight".

What gets me the most is that I always carried my weight well and was never really overwight, my BMI was at the top-end of the normal bit always..

Even the nurse used to say that I looked normal weight, untill she weighted me and looked at her BMI chart. lol lol lol

Gosh I must look ill now.. lol lol lol.

I used to be 75-77kgs for a 5foot 6.5 inch guy... But now I am 63 to 65kgs and..

I started weight lifting 3 times a week with some old friends from school and on my other 2 days I do extra cardio, only started the extra cardio in the last week, as I am trying to shift my last bit of fat, I do have the weekend off from the gym.. lol lol lol..

I noticed that the scales in the bathroom have a body fat function on them, so I checked it out and found that I am now only 18% fat... My aim to to get down to around 12%.... Well I am working towards that one..

So that I can get extra work as a Male Model..... lol lol lol lol lol

But after every meal I do try and have a 5 to 10mins walk, but do be on the safe side, as it all help...

I am low carber / very low carber..

Thinking about it, I have changed so much, as my thoughts are now are on complications, as I DON'T WANT THEM.!!!

I want to go out of this world on my feet and in the best health possible, hopfully with a younger husband chasing me, but dont tell the wife...

BUT what future holds for me with this condiotion, only god knows, but I will die trying.. lol lol..

My mantra is : "Train or die" is what I always say to myself.. lol lol..

Anyway, keep low carbing and doing what every exersize you can and together we can all control this. :D

Cheers
Simply_h

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
simply_h said:
I started weight lifting 3 times a week with some old friends from school and on my other 2 days I do extra cardio, only started the extra cardio in the last week, as I am trying to shift my last bit of fat, I do have the weekend off from the gym.. lol lol lol..

I am low carber / very low carber..

Well done simply_h!

How do you find the weight lifting on low-carb? Do you have to carb up for it?

lorri1

LOL I'm permanantly attached to my bike :) I love it, it's the only thing that keeps me sane.....oh and keeps my BG's down....the the best bit....., is biking through the country side, to a lovely village and stopping for lunch! lol you can indulge slightly as you know you have to bike all the way back, by which time you've burnt off the calories as well and the Sugar.....lol win win situation :)

Good Luck hun.

Lorri.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Yep I am getting that way as well, I did 1mile on treadmill yesterday morning, then had another bash in late afternoon and done 2 miles. I keep setting distance as my goal not time, then try and better it next time. Today in work I went into College stopped at lift and pushed the button then thought stuff this what am I doing, so I walked the 7 flights up the stirs and back down again, I am walking for about 1 hour a day in work anyway, but still going for 21/2 miles tonight on treadmill. I used to do a lot of weight training 25 yr ago and you do feel guilty if you don't do it !! hopefully that will come back, because exercise makes you feel great :lol: :lol: :lol:

thetallerpaul

"I want to go out of this world on my feet and in the best health possible, hopfully with a younger husband chasing me, but dont tell the wife... "

This confused me a touch I'll be honest with you. Do you have a wife and want a young husband? I'm not sure Diabetes can be behind that!

I'm the same on the fitness though. I was never overweight and have had periods of training with little effect but now I'm forced to eat different as well I'm looking totally different definition-wise. My wife doesn't know wether to be happy or annoyed that we are not going to grow fat together as she liked the old eating plan! I'm still happy without any husbands (young or old) chasing after me though.

TTP

simply_h

Hello Borofergie,

Well I always eat something about 1.5 hours before gym, like toast (Nibble bread 2 slices) with tuna or cheese on toast or some plain cold chicken or Ham and cheese.. Then 20mins before I have a protein shake with 200ml of mike and 100ml of water.

As then I can kind of carbing-up before gym, but have to be carefull and I dont want too much carb and timing is key.

I try and force my body to burn the carbs 1st and fat or the liver does a dump into the system..

I dont ofton check after gym, but when I do I am between 4.0mmol and 5.5mmol. Then I have another protein shake with only water.

What I have found is that even if I am got higher levels of BS after training, say 6.5mmol to 7.5mmol, which i have sometimes, 20 to 30 mins later they are back down to less than 5.5mmol.. Which is a bit strange at times.. But I love the exersize do dont want to stop ect.. As I am trying to bulk up, which means more muscle tone and size, which I am told will use all the sweet stuff in the blood.. Well thats the plan.. :)

Cheers
Simply_h

simply_h

Hello Borofergie,

Well I always eat something about 1.5 hours before gym, like toast (Nibble bread 2 slices) with tuna or cheese on toast or some plain cold chicken or Ham and cheese.. Then 20mins before I have a protein shake with 200ml of milk and 100ml of water.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
"This confused me a touch I'll be honest with you. Do you have a wife and want a young husband? I'm not sure Diabetes can be behind that"

" I'm still happy without any husbands (young or old) chasing after me though."

That did confuse me a bit? but I did not like to ask it might not be PC, but your Reply gave me a good laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thetallerpaul

Roy,

In hindsight maybe should have thought that myself on the PC front. Just to say I have no issues with husband, wife or life partners in any form. Its just a surprise to have both! :oops:

TTP

Mark1963

Hi, first time post. Male 49 type 2. Been diabetic for 18 months, started walking each day & built up to 5 miles a day for 12 months. Lost 3 stone & now weight train & run. Was a big eater drinker & stopped the day I was diagnosed, I reckon diabetes saved my life. Recovering from a hernia op & a blood clot, Consultsnt says being in such good shape has helped me, thinks i am a life long fitness freak, little knowing I was a 18 stone beer monster 2 years ago ! anything is possible, find an exercise you enjoy, eat a bit less & move about a bit more & the world's your lobster