Belly fat

Toledo557

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed t2 about 6 months ago and now take 2 metformin per day. I am succeed ing a little improving my diet and losing weight gradually, about 7 kilos so far.75 k now, target 69. My question is why am I not seeming to lose belly fat? It's true I can take in my belt by a couple of notches, but in the mirror my belly looks just the same.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Toledo557 When we lose weight, typically the last bit to get burned off is the belly fat. Whilst I've lost a couple of stone, that's where my biggest difficulty has been in losing fat. Sadly that's just the nature of the beast. Keep at it and it will go eventually, and the couple of inches of reduction that you have seen is a loss of belly fat!

Reactions: 2 people

Toledo557

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should add that I am losing muscle mass in my biceps and thighs.I am 68.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The dreaded belly fat or donut as I call is the hardest to shift. It was also the first place that got bigger pre diabetes with a noticable increase in size in a matter of a couple of months. It's where all that unused glucose was being stored. I have lost 1 stone 4 pounds and 3 inches off my waist....the donut is shrinking too....not as fast as I would like but it is going gradually. Be patient and it will happen :) Rome wasn't built in a day or donuts removed but in time it will go away :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Toledo557 if you are losing muscle mass and you are concerned about it then you need to do a couple of things. One of these is to do some form of weight training to stop the loss and recover the muscle mass and eat protein commensurate with managing this.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should add that I am losing muscle mass in my biceps and thighs.I am 68.

I'm not saying you're wrong. How could I? But, what specifically is it that makes you feel you are losing muscle mass, as opposed to subcutaneous fat from your limbs?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed t2 about 6 months ago and now take 2 metformin per day. I am succeed ing a little improving my diet and losing weight gradually, about 7 kilos so far.75 k now, target 69. My question is why am I not seeming to lose belly fat? It's true I can take in my belt by a couple of notches, but in the mirror my belly looks just the same.

Maybe you have the fat around your stomach and hips thats typical of the the metabolic syndrome. I know that I do, I have lost about 45 Kg and still cannot get rid of all the fat in this specific area.I suppose that strrenghtening my stomach muscles by doing sit ups would help, but at 72 years of age I cant be bothered. I do however exercise at least 6 days a week to keep fit for my age.

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you lose weight it is typically "first on, last off" at least that is the way I find I am losing weight. Unfortunately I think the belly fat is always the last to go.

Toledo557

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies
IT seems I am doing the right thing,but expecting too much progress too soon. I shall persevere.

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Strange territory .... my waist line was where I lost all my weight (15 kgs and that was more than enough for me) and almost immediate. Took 2 to 3 months and had to dump trousers and belts a lot. Just goes to show you. Might be slow for some folk, but for me, REALLY quick. Went from a 42 to a 36 inch pair of jeans in no time.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strange territory .... my waist line was where I lost all my weight (15 kgs and that was more than enough for me) and almost immediate. Took 2 to 3 months and had to dump trousers and belts a lot. Just goes to show you. Might be slow for some folk, but for me, REALLY quick. Went from a 42 to a 36 inch pair of jeans in no time.
Good, now we hate you more! ( not ofcourse ).

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be slow for some folk, but for me, REALLY quick. Went from a 42 to a 36 inch pair of jeans in no time.

OHHHHH! Show off! :D :D

Actually I seem to be losing size but not weight....:wideyed: My smaller trousers tell me so....

Robbity

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
oh yes, i also get smaller in size around my belly as i measure every two weeks, but no so in weight! well, size does matter haha!