below the knee amputation

Dislikes
big headed people
I would like some advice if possible, having a partial foot amputation i now have another ulcer on the stump, i have seem the surgeon and he has offered me a below the knee amputation as this will prevent any further ulcers and shoud leave me pain free.

what i would like to know is there anyone who has had this operation and how has it affected their life, with work driving and day to day living, i am only 47 was qute active like to run and go on long walks which i now can do neither.

what should i do, have the op or carry on having constant pain and discomfort from my foot.

i would appreciate your views please :(

elainechi

hi no one can make that decision for you but i think you have to have a positive attitude if you go ahead. can.t see any reason why you won.t be able to walk. you can get your gp to refer to a gym. we have a few with bka and other disabilities. work should be ok. you may need an adapted car depending on right or left. what you have to think is you say you cant walk now .you could in the future. is will take time. oh don.t forget to watch your bs and try and get fit as you can. get youe arms very fit. good luck and remember the paraolympics are here soon!!!!!

hospitalboy

Hiya,

I was in the same position as you find yourself in. I already had a below the knee amputation, and having had numerous ulcers underneath my foot, they tried a very powerful antibiotic that i could only have for 5 days. I was waiting to be seen at the diabetic clinic in the hospital when i collapsed and went into septic shock. the following day , my remaining leg was ampultated below the knee. I was 45 with two very young children, and thought my life was over.
BUT with a very very good clinical team, and brillinat phsiso"s (and a positive mental attidude) recovered very fast. After 7 weeks i returned to work full time, and 5 years on feel fitter than a few years ago! my life changed a lot, but i have no problems at all and have never used any mobility aids at all.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further :wink:

Cheers

HB

Dislikes
big headed people
It has made me feel so much better reading your reply thank you so much.

I am a positive person on the whole and try to see the best of a bad situation, i have spoken to a few people about their experiences, all i want is to be able to have a better quality of life and not be in so much pain and be able to walk my dogs without worrying that i will damage my foot because of the ulcer i have.

Once again thank you i needee to read that things will be ok, to be honest i am scared stiff but i have been told that it will be the best thing to do.

Cheers Trev the singing raspberry :thumbup: