1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Benefit advice

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by brydo3226, Mar 3, 2017.

1. brydo3226

brydo3226 Type 2 · Member

hy can any one give me some advice im lying in bed cant sleep my head is buzzing .i currently have medical conditions..starting with diabetes/asthma/neurothapy/pephrial vascular disease/retninal damage/small toe amputated/and now waiting to find out if my lower leg has to be amputated...would prob need to give up work if i loose my leg ...does any one know if i would be entilted to dla or pip sickness benefit.:meh:cheers brian

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Can't say with any certainty but I'd imagine you'd be entitled to some benefits if you have to give up work @brydo3226 , maybe contact the Citizen's Advice and talk things over with them as they'll advise further.

Good luck and best wishes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

Seek advice @brydo3226 Brian. They will help you tick the boxes that's relevant to you.
    I should have been claiming pip for yrs whilst working but never did. Although I have many health problems not directly diabetes complications.
    I believe pip does cover some diabetes complications. As of esa (sickpay) I think disabled people are still espected to work but call esa for a chat. They will tell you if you qualify, for now. Maybe intrim support until an essessment?

• Useful Useful x 1
    #3 ickihun, Mar 3, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  4. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Please think about getting benefits advice and help with the forms from an organisation like Citizens Advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ultramum

Ultramum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You may well qualify for benefits. I know on PIP that it isn't the actual conditions that you have but how they affect you in terms of certain activities.

CAB can offer advice and help - depending on where you live your local council may be able to sign post you to other organisations that can assist with benefit advice.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You can apply for PIP ESA council tax rebate, help with rent if in rented accommodation. You do need to see a benefits advisor though so you don't miss out on anything. CAB, welfare rights etc. can help you out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook