Benefits

HIPPO1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi my name is John I've just turned diabetic 1 in may after losing my pancreas and spline . I am just wondering if there is any benifits you can claim apart from free prescriptions

Thanks john

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @HIPPO1234 it sounds like you are type 3c - have a little look at the 3c forum. 3c applies to people who have pancreatitis or other pancreas issues and have had a Whipple procedure so no longer have a pancreas producing insulin (or doing any of the other stuff a pancreas does)

Certainly for type 1 there are no benefits "just" for being type 1. I wouldn't have thought it's any different for 3c.

Reactions: Freema

HIPPO1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm a new type 1 3c just wondering what benifits there is out there chears john I lost my pancreas and spline in may thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi my name is John I've just turned diabetic 1 in may after losing my pancreas and spline . I am just wondering if there is any benifits you can claim apart from free prescriptions

Thanks john

Hi, you can live without a spleen, but you could be more at risk from infections. Having diabetes isn't classed as being disabled, but you would need to check online to see if you are eligible, CAB or Turn2us and GOV UK have some good and helpful information. https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/overview

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Thanks john
Hi John if you are off work due to surgery then sick pay or ESA, no benefit though for having the dubious pleasure of having diabetes.

S

Shar67

Unless you have other medical issues, being diabetic doesn't get you benefits.
You could apply for ESA and PIP but it is difficult to get these

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm a new type 1 3c just wondering what benifits there is out there chears john I lost my pancreas and spline in may thanks

Hippo - Your profile suggests you have T1, when I believe you are T3c? As you can see from Shar67's response, you could set your profile to reflect your T3c status, if you wanted to?

You don't have to, but it can just make it simpler for folks too understand any issues you may have.

Welcome to the forum in any case. :)

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @HIPPO1234 sounds like you've got a lot to come to terms with. I'm no benefits expert but local to me some of the councils have Welfare Rights offices who seem to do a really good job and as I understand it act independantly of the council in advising people on which benefits they may be entitled to and then helping them to apply in the best manner. Citizens' Advice Bureau offer a similar service. Good luck with everything.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My friend is type 1. She can,t claim esa or pip just for being type1
If you Don, t work then you can claim job seekers allowance