Best buy test strips

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I once bought a pack of strips from eBay and was shocked to find a torn pharmacy label on it. Someone had been prescribed them and sold them. since then, I have bought direct from Abbott Diabetes Care. Out of curiosity, I followed the link on one of the threads here and have to report that buying direct from Abbott, I pay around £10 LESS than the price quoted there.
I have a Freestyle Lite.
Before paying £25+ do check with the Supplier of your particular meter.
Abbott have a scheme where they keep your name and requirements on file. there's no charge for postage, battery replacement and repair is FREE and they do occasionally do a free upgrade. I was upgraded from a Freestyle Mini a few months ago.
I imagine other suppliers would have similar schemes.
Hana

C

chris lowe

Thanks for that info Hana - I was going to order some test strips in the week so will check out Abbott and see what they charge. i use the Accucheck Aviva and usually pay about £21 for 50. I did manage to scrounge a prescription from the diabetic nurse but she said I could only have one pack a year which is one test a week.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Abbott's service is First Rate. When Iorder, the strips usually arrive next day. they are in Maidenhead and I'm on the Western edge of Reading, so they don't have far to come.
Hana

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont understand the thinking with all this.

On Tuesday I am to see the Diabetic nurse to get a meter, be trained to use it, and get test strips. I dont know how many or for how long.

But if we are deemed suitable to have a meter, why cant we have sufficient test strips to use the thing????

I dont know what sort of meter I will be given. Or how many test strips are to be prescribed, or how often. But if it isnt a SDCodefree meter, it will cost me more in test strips to use the one I am given by the surgery than it would be to not have the new meter, and keep buying codefree strips.

it seems like madness to me. If we need a meter, we should be given the means to use it.

I should add that I am on benefit at the moment, and money is very tight. I dont object to buying strips if I can - but I cant.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Lucy
I'm a pensioner, so money is pretty tight too. Not as tight as benefits. However i ration myself with test strips. I use 1 per day unless I'm unwell or feel I've gone outside my target. I control my food carefully, because that's cheaper.
Hana

alison m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
cruelty to any animal or human, not being able to eat sausage rolls and pies any more,
I was diagnosed with T2 on 10th may, I think it would be a good idea if all those that get test strips can put the name of thier PCT then newly diagnosed people will know whether they stand a chance of getting the test strips or not, I dont know whether I can get them yet, I am seeing my doctor next week and the DSN the week after, I should find out then, until then I cannot test my blood because I cannot afford to buy the strips and monitor

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does seem to be a bit of a postcode lottery if you get strips and my PCT has been named (on here) as one that doesn't do strips on prescription, yet I get them. I think it is more a case of persuading your GP that you are proactive and need to know what food is affecting your BS levels and get strips prescribed that way.

carbo

I don't understand the system. My surgery supplies strtips on demand butwhenI bought some on ebay they were £12.00 and quite ok

C

chris lowe

I got my last lot of Aviva test strips with 200 +4 lancets from e-bay for £16 and they arrived next day. Am seeing the nurse next week so will ask her about test strips. The nurse I normally see is on maternity leave so I may have more luck with the new one :D

Viking

I live in Scotland and have never paid for test strips and have had several meters supplied from the nurse. I have also bought my own meter and just ordered the new type of strips from the doctors. I always check with the local pharmacy what strips he stocks before buying a new meter. That way I know I will get the strips.

L

Luna21

I too live in Scotland but no way am I allowed a monitor or test strips from my Health Board. My diabetes nurse wouldn't even listen to my case for needing them. :evil:
It just shows that there is no joined-up thinking on diabetes management.

I am going to get my test strips directly from Abbot too. they always answer e-mails and are so helpful. They even told me how I can get the strips and lancets VAT free! Great service.

puzzymunkle

I recently changed meds and was getting hypos. My gp had previously denied me strips but has since put them on repeat. I can now get 1 box per month but I don't use many as I have changed meds again and no longer get hypos.
I get the strips every other month so my gp doesn't stop them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

L

Luna21

nomistheman said:
I'm registered with Abbott Diabetes Care but, can't find prices for freestyle lite test strips - let alone how to order them.

How do you buy direct from Abbott - I have the same meter as you. Do Abbott sell the lancets direct too?

Thanks in advance.

Apparently you can't order online, and I quote, "Unfortunately due to licensing issues we are not able to offer an on line ordering facility via our website" so you have to ring them up to order either strips, lancets, or both.

You can e-mail them and they will give you the prices too, but when I asked them a few weeks ago the prices were: FreeStyle Lite test strips (box of 50) is £15.42* and FreeStyle Lancets (box of 200) are £7.19*. VAT will be charged for all non registered diabetics but there is no delivery charge.

I hope this helps.

L

Luna21

Again I quote from the Abbot helpline;

"The procedure is very simple. Once you have purchased the test strips from us, we send you a form to complete and return to us to confirm that you have been diagnosed with diabetes. Our Orders Team will help you with any query that you have concerning this issue."

they are really helpful. :D

bopper

get a code free meter
strips cost 5 pounds for

no vat
brill
im with talktalk
if you pay your rental yearly
you would save 64 pounds
thats what i did
that covers the cost of my strips
so if i use 350 a year