Best chinese dishes

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all I know its not an idea meal, but my young son has recently moved in with his girlfriend and invited me for a Chinese takeaway, so I'm not going to say no.

It will be my first Chinese meal since starting insulin, so I'm looking for recommendations for the best dishes to pick, that wont contain loads of hidden carbs/sugar.

thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First of all I know its not an idea meal, but my young son has recently moved in with his girlfriend and invited me for a Chinese takeaway, so I'm not going to say no.

It will be my first Chinese meal since starting insulin, so I'm looking for recommendations for the best dishes to pick, that wont contain loads of hidden carbs/sugar.

thanks

Are you on insulin?

I eat most Chinese dishes, but only have tiny portions of things in sweet sauces. I find that it's easy to underestimate the carbs in a Chinese. So keep testing afterwards. I think there can often be hidden sugar and flour that skew carb counting. I like to have spoonfuls of a number of different dishes and not too much rice. That works ok for me.

Enjoy your meal :)

Reactions: Keesha

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on insulin?

I eat most Chinese dishes, but only have tiny portions of things in sweet sauces. I find that it's easy to underestimate the carbs in a Chinese. So keep testing afterwards. I think there can often be hidden sugar and flour that skew carb counting. I like to have spoonfuls of a number of different dishes and not too much rice. That works ok for me.

Enjoy your meal :)

Hi , yes I am on insulin I started long acting in December when my diagnoses was changed to 1.5 from type 2 and fast acting about a month ago. Before I would have just accepted that my levels were going to be high and buried my head in the sand and not tested lol . But now I'm taking fast acting I cant take that approach, so need to try and work out each dish.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Count the carbs for the rice, which should be fairly easy (I use a tablespoon to measure it out), then estimate the carbs for the other dish(es). I find even a dish of mixed veg needs a tiny amount of bolus as there is flour in it.

Reactions: Lynmi

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love Chinese food but am aware it is a carb nightmare. Do watch the sauces which are almost pure sugar. Obviously the veg is good as well as the protein dishes.

Reactions: Lynmi

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very much hit, miss and miss again with Chinese food. I often just take what may seem like too much insulin and usually land okay. Unfortunately, there is literally no science behind my approach and takeaway food with mysterious sauces like Chinese cuisine is impossible to carb count for...

It's trial and error, but once you realise when you've taken too little or too much insulin for a plate of food - the next time is often better, and so on, so forth...

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
It was lovely, before eating I was 6.5 took 7 units and 3 hours later was at 9 with insulin still on board so no correction needed at that point, cut of tea and another hour and haft later 11..2 took an additional 2 units to correct and then my slow acting and went I bed. Just woke up at 4.1 ( the couple of glasses of red may have helped). So yes it went a bit high but overall I'm really happy with how I've ended up this morning. Not so happy at having to get up at half 6 on a Saturday to have breakfast so I don't go any lower though. Thanks everyone for all your advice