Best Form of Exercise for you

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Swimming - I love it. I'm not the competetive 'I'm here and I must do 400 lengths before I can get out of the pool' type swimmer. I'm more the, 'I'm here, I'm going to enjoy myself, keep moving, keep wriggling, swim my own way and I'll keep going for an hour if I can make it' type swimmer. I make sure I move every muscle in my body, I wriggle from side to side on my back like a plaice, I go up and down the pool doing doggy paddle, I look like I'm riding a bicycle in the water. I do the 'sea horse' which I invented myself and that means that I swim in a vertical position - and I don't do any movements that create a splash or makes waves. There's no need. At the age of 59 I've finally found how to enjoy myself and get some exercise into the bargain.

My GP is going to refer me for the Activity for Life programme so I'm adding the gym to my swimming soon and I get a personal trainer to supervise me while I'm there because of my health conditions.

I used to walk and cycle a LOT in my younger days, yet I never thought of it as exercise, it was just something I did because I enjoyed it. But now walking bores me a bit, I've seen all the parks, all the nature walks, so I'm ready for something different. We've got a brand new leisure centre which is more like a smart meeting place/club, kitted out with lots leather sofas and chairs to relax on after the exercise bit and that really makes a difference to the more mature exercisers, it's also a place to sit and chat and have a coffee so it's a very sociable place and I can see myself using it more and more as time goes on.

I couldn't do any of the above 3 months ago, I was too exhausted just getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom every morning. But thanks to the wonderful advice and information I've gathered from this forum - I'm alive again. :D

Thank you all ... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of walking - I absolutely love it - fresh air and sunshine, better than any drug :lol:

Women in particular were the 'gatherers', covering miles each day, so I figure lots of walking is probably the perfect exercise for us.

I also do some of Mark's Sisson's Primal stuff - mostly body weight exercises (like push ups, pullups) and trying to work up to various levels of competence from what was essentially zero to start with, especially upper body strength. I'm sure the passersby who see me hanging on the kid's park playset think of me as the eccentric old lady, but it's much more fun than an actual gym :***:

When I first started walking, I also used to wear 0.5kg wrist weights and I was really surprised what a difference it made to muscle definition in my arms in combination with a Primal/Paleo diet.

I've recently started a few sprints - either running briefly outdoors or in stocking feet on a treadmill - though I have lower back issues and am very careful about it.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Indy51 said:
I also do some of Mark's Sisson's Primal stuff - mostly body weight exercises (like push ups, pullups) and trying to work up to various levels of competence from what was essentially zero to start with, especially upper body strength. I'm sure the passersby who see me hanging on the kid's park playset think of me as the eccentric old lady, but it's much more fun than an actual gym :***:

When I first started walking, I also used to wear 0.5kg wrist weights and I was really surprised what a difference it made to muscle definition in my arms in combination with a Primal/Paleo diet.

I've recently started a few sprints - either running briefly outdoors or in stocking feet on a treadmill - though I have lower back issues and am very careful about it.

MMMmmmmm nice to have another Paleoer onboard.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers, Stephen - I've seen you here and there around the Paleo traps :)

I think the surprising thing to me was how quickly muscles started showing here and there - where I hadn't had them in years and with such little effort - just by eating real food. McMazing!

walterrichmand

According to me, Yoga is best exercise. Yoga is something that has so many health rewards that it is unbelievable. Its trans-formative powers have potential on various levels. Nonetheless, these many advantages do extend past weight loss. They also attach themselves to the user of yoga regularly and to their life in addition.

ernestsalsa

Although I don't have a dog, I do as if...... Every morning before work I make a little walk of 10 minutes and before sleeping I do the same during 20 minutes. I am prediabetes, don't use medicines and managed to bring my Hb1ac from 53 to 44 in 5 months. Walking is one of my methods. Further low carb eating, doing 45 minutes yoga per day (already 7 years) and trying to get more muscles by training with kettlebells (NEW). I lost 1.5 stone in 6 months. I am feeling with 67 years old very proud of having achieved this, although I know that this training scheme is not so easy for people who are still working all day. The walking tip is however achievable for everybody and is a good way to lowering sugar levels on important moments of the day. And of course regular measurement of my sugar levels during the day with the eternal question why so good or so bad. Education permanente and discipline are the trigger points. :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't drive so if I'm out and about on my own its either walking or on the bike. Even if Mrs Bear is about we tend to walk if we go into town, the car is for longer trips or big shopping only. At home it's rowing machine and dumbbells, you really don't need much more than dumbbells for weighttraining

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App