Best time to eat....

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently my fasting levels have been rising, although I've not changed from my low carb diet.....this could be stress, but I've also noticed that sometimes my levels taken just before bed are also higher (even if I haven't eaten since about 8pm.) I was wondering, should I be concentrating my eating at times when my levels seem 'naturally' lower ? I never have spikes over about 1 after eating at any time of day - it's just that my BSL's seem to vary according to the time of day rather than what I eat !

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried testing at times other than 2 hours post meal? It is very useful to keep on testing after the 2 hour mark to see if you peak later than this. I know I do if my meal has a lot of fat content. In that case, your bedtime level is likely to be higher.

Also, in the absence of glucose from carbs, protein will convert to glucose but this takes a lot longer - maybe even the next morning. Sometimes protein can be the reason for slightly higher FBG levels. I notice it after I've eaten liver for evening meal. No idea why it should be liver in particular. It doesn't happen with other protein foods.

Do you start your evening meal at 8? Maybe you could bring that back an hour?

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was using the libre my post meal spikes were after about an hour - so I have been testing at 90 mins and 2 hours with the nexus meter. But it might have something to do with it, I'll try testing at two and a half as well. Finish eating at about 7.30 usually, then test about 2 hours later, but my night-time test is sometimes at gone midnight. I have a very limited repertoire of high protein suppers, (steak, duck, chicken ) but I'll look back on my records to see if anything might be causing the recent fasting issues - but I doubt it. It's just annoying as I was doing so well.......

Reactions: OrsonKartt

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
I have noticed that the later I actually get up the lower my fasting BG is, this is great when off work on hols or weekends. Since following the 16:8 fasting program and not eating after 2000hrs my levels have really stabalised throughout the day and curently have a 30 day average of 6.0..

I have also noticed that I am only eating 2 meals a day and snacking less often now the carb cravings have gone..

Reactions: Bluetit1802

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed that the later I actually get up the lower my fasting BG is, this is great when off work on hols or weekends. Since following the 16:8 fasting program and not eating after 2000hrs my levels have really stabalised throughout the day and curently have a 30 day average of 6.0..

I have also noticed that I am only eating 2 meals a day and snacking less often now the carb cravings have gone..
Yeah, am doing the 16:8 and only eat lunch and supper... attached another Libre today, so maybe it'll give me some answers