Best time to take blood sugar level

D

Deleted Account

What you are looking for is a stable BG throughout the day within your target range (the target for T1 is between 4 and 7, not sure what it is for T2).
This is affected by many things such as
- food (which is why many people suggest testing 2 hours after eating),
- time of day (you may have read about the "dawn phenomenon")
- stress (mental and physical)
- exercise (cardio and resistance/weights)
- illness
- weather (hot and cold)
- drugs (legal and not :))

Many people take readings to understand how these things affect them and then adjust (e.g. carbs or exercise) to maintain the ideal levels.

Reactions: Prem51

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @steveis36 ..
"Feet on Floor" is a good maxim for your fasting BG reading .. ie: as soon as you wake up and get out of bed. Otherwise, immediately before a meal and then 2 hours after you start eating. Readings taken after exercise will almost certainly be skewed and higher than "normal" (whatever that is)

Hope this helps

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Reason i asked was that over the last few days i have found that if i test my blood when im sat down and relaxed my blood sugars are into single figures but if i test straight after workout whilst heart is still up my bloods are up.
Either way i guess i gotta keep a steady single figures

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When Exercising you should test before & then at a minimum of 1 hour after exercise. Your BG will be elevated if you take it immediately after finishing exercise

D

Deleted Account

When Exercising you should test before & then at a minimum of 1 hour after exercise. Your BG will be elevated if you take it immediately after finishing exercise
BG after exercise will depend on many things - type of exercise, length of exercise and your fitness (for that type of exercise).
If I walk for 3 hours, my BG is unaffected.
If I run for 30 minutes, my BG is lower than usual
If I rock climb for an hour, my BG is higher than usual.

Testing will show you how different types of exercise affect you.
And you have to keep testing because, as you get fitter, the affect on your BG will be reduced (unless you increase the intensity/duration/weights).

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes i have found that,
If i 1hour run/walk i would start at around 10-13mmol and after down to 7-8mmol.
If i cycle it has doped right down to 6mmol.
I am finding as i get fitter and loose the weight and watch my carb intake my bloods are coming down.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
For what it's worth, I did a couple of hours hedge-trimming yesterday. (New machine working above shoulder height). It felt like a weight lifting session, and was hard on the biceps and shoulders. I felt really knackered and came indoors for some water, and tested to see how low I actually was. Flaming 8.2 !!
So either that was poorly washed hands or my body was reacting to some hard labour and my liver was dumping extra sugar supplies into my blood. An hour in the bath and I was 5.3, so no dramas.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If I could only test one time each day it would be just before my main meal of the day - that way I would get a good comparison of how I'm doing day to day without the dreaded dawn phenomenon influencing my tests.