BG much improved already but feel exhausted

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
My BG 8.8 today which is much improved from the 14-16's last week before I was ' officially' diagnosed. Today despite this I feel exhausted is this normal ?

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have drastically cut down sugar and carbs you may be experiencing carb flu as your body adjusts to the change.
It should clear in a few days.

Reactions: Freema and Debzz_

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In order to reduce blood sugar levels you need to cut out carbohydrates, but also need to up the consumption of fat. Maybe you should eat some more butter, cheese, full fat yoghurt, cream, avocados, nuts etc.

Reactions: Freema

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the opposite. I have so much energy I don't know what to do with myself. I wish I'd cut out all those carbs ages ago (even disregarding the diabetes) I hope you feel better soon

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
If you have drastically cut down sugar and carbs you may be experiencing carb flu as your body adjusts to the change.
It should clear in a few days.
No body tells you these things - apart from on here ! Thankyou

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
In order to reduce blood sugar levels you need to cut out carbohydrates, but also need to up the consumption of fat. Maybe you should eat some more butter, cheese, full fat yoghurt, cream, avocados, nuts etc.
Will try that - Thankyou

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No body tells you these things - apart from on here ! Thankyou
The other thing to look at is supplements. I have started using Diabetone which helps replace things that are lacking. But don't beat yourself up . This is a slow disease and takes time to get under control. Not there yet myself but have made progress.
Keep reading. Don,t calorie count if you are starting lchf. Just get used to the change in diet.. It has taken me a while to get used to bulletproof coffee but has helped in the morning when I cannot face eating.

Reactions: Debzz_

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi,
Exhaustion is one of the symptoms of diabetes, but it is meant to improve as blood sugars are better controlled. If it persists then consider that there may be something else going on as exhaustion can be a symptom of several other conditions as well, such as hypothyroidism or depression both of which seems to go hand in hand with diabetes for some people. So if it does persist then talk to your GP he will be able to investigate further if he/she feels there may be an additional problem. Hopefully, it will sort itself in a few weeks as your blood sugars continue to improve.
Good luck. Maggie

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you might actually benefit from more carbs - just a few.
I'm an oddity as I was doing low carb long long long before being diagnosed with diabetes, and I could lose weight happily on 80 gm of carbs a day - also unusual.
I find that I have higher BG if I don't eat my carbs spread out through the day - until mid afternoon when it nosedives.
Trying out various strategies and checking BG will guide your choices, as we are all different and have different lifestyles.
Dr Atkins advised adding just 5 gm of salad per day if you go wobbly - I had to add 50gm before the wobbles stopped - but they reduced a bit with 5, so I knew it was the right way to go.
I got improving BG levels eating the same amount of carbs every day, low carb enough to stay under 8mmol/l after meals but not so low it was difficult to do every single day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG 8.8 today which is much improved from the 14-16's last week before I was ' officially' diagnosed. Today despite this I feel exhausted is this normal ?
Are you having some extra salt? As you stop eating processed foods which usually have too much salt you can get depleted, might be worth adding some to your food and maybe some in a glass of water. 1/2 a teaspoon perhaps just to make sure you get enough. Also drink loads of water. You're still in the fairly early stages so could well be "carb flu" as you swith from running on carbs to running on fat. Keep up the great work and I personally wouldn't increase carbs yet.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hi,
Exhaustion is one of the symptoms of diabetes, but it is meant to improve as blood sugars are better controlled. If it persists then consider that there may be something else going on as exhaustion can be a symptom of several other conditions as well, such as hypothyroidism or depression both of which seems to go hand in hand with diabetes for some people. So if it does persist then talk to your GP he will be able to investigate further if he/she feels there may be an additional problem. Hopefully, it will sort itself in a few weeks as your blood sugars continue to improve.
Good luck. Maggie
I was tested for thyroid function same time as diabetes tests all ok on that department and I'm defo not depressed apart from the shock of the last few weeks . Think I had just burnt myself out tbh .

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with BB. I would think it's the low carb transition, carb flu. It can take up to a few weeks. Added salt helps as low carb is dehydrating by nature. I wouldn't up carbs until you've given it a good go. I have oodles of energy on less than 20 g per day.

What is your diet like? Have you reduced carbs ? Lchf isn't high protein either. Eat just the right amount but exchange carb calories for fat calories. Have things such as avocado, cheese, nuts, olives, mayo, olive oil.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Are you having some extra salt? As you stop eating processed foods which usually have too much salt you can get depleted, might be worth adding some to your food and maybe some in a glass of water. 1/2 a teaspoon perhaps just to make sure you get enough. Also drink loads of water. You're still in the fairly early stages so could well be "carb flu" as you swith from running on carbs to running on fat. Keep up the great work and I personally wouldn't increase carbs yet.
I'm with BB. I would think it's the low carb transition, carb flu. It can take up to a few weeks. Added salt helps as low carb is dehydrating by nature. I wouldn't up carbs until you've given it a good go. I have oodles of energy on less than 20 g per day.

What is your diet like? Have you reduced carbs ? Lchf isn't high protein either. Eat just the right amount but exchange carb calories for fat calories. Have things such as avocado, cheese, nuts, olives, mayo, olive oil.
Yes I've reduced my carbs - I was only diagnosed last Friday

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you added a bit of sea salt yet? Has it helped?

Depending on how much you've lowered your carb size there is that transition while your body switches from crab burning to fat burning. It can take a few days just to deplete your glycogen stores, then it gets a bit confused until it starts burning fat. It s an uncomfortable period no doubt but it does get better. How low carb have you gone? How are your blood sugars?

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Have you added a bit of sea salt yet? Has it helped?

Depending on how much you've lowered your carb size there is that transition while your body switches from crab burning to fat burning. It can take a few days just to deplete your glycogen stores, then it gets a bit confused until it starts burning fat. It s an uncomfortable period no doubt but it does get better. How low carb have you gone? How are your blood sugars?
I've cut out most carbs had a small jacket spud with my tea tonight . BS much improved on last week around 9 on getting up - 12 after food . Have eaten more today as I was hungry yesterday.

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did your doctor check your vitamin D levels? If they are low, as they often are in those of us living in non-sunny countries, that may contribute to your tiredness. Especially now in the spring, before we get sun on our skin again, and we have depleted what we got last summer. I was at 17 when we should be at 75-100, and my doctor says that everyone in Northern Europe should take supplements in the winter.