BG observation after the gym

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

So, I decided to get myself in gear and re joined the gym. I was doing ok with eating but felt I wasn't moving enough. Well after 2 visits and only doing weights - and only 30 minutes at that, I've noticed my levels are around 3 points lower than they were which is great news.... the day after my second visit saw a level of 7.5 two hours after a meal - I had been seeing 10's for months.

Also I signed up for a 2 week special offer trial with a trainer, and I was pleased to hear that his area of interest is nutrition, and the plan he builds is based around insulin management . He apparently has several customers that are diabetic and says that they are seeing great results ( I guess he would say that) one of which has apparently "reveresed " his type 2. Sadly I'm unlikely to be able to afford to carry on after the trial due to cost - but if the two weeks show any significant changes, I will look at cutting costs somewhere else and give it a go for 3 months. If not I will carry on at the gym anyway :)

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Want to get into shape? You can do this little lot at home so no need for a gym membership:
  • At the high-end you have Insanity (approx 1 hour per workout) (OMG prepare to have your ass kicked)
  • High end (but only 30 minutes) is Insanity Max 30! (Jeez)
  • Just right and a good kicking (at 25 minutes) is Focus T25 (now that's a good work out)
  • More interested in weights? The try Body Beast (30 min to 1-hour workouts) Phew, upping the weight does it
  • How about Yoga (it's harder than you think). There's The Ultimate Yogi (1 hour) or Yoga 30 for 30 (30 mintues). Yoga is utterly essential in my opinion
  • And finally, there's the -heartbusting, palpitation-inducing ZenDudeFitness (less than 10 minutes). This is Jump Rope (skipping rope) and body weight workouts
I'm currently doing Ultimate Yogi and ZenDudeFitness. Amazing.
This with my newly started LCHF diet and I expect to have a great body by Summer ;)

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Want to get into shape? You can do this little lot at home so no need for a gym membership:
  • At the high-end you have Insanity (approx 1 hour per workout) (OMG prepare to have your ass kicked)
  • High end (but only 30 minutes) is Insanity Max 30! (Jeez)
  • Just right and a good kicking (at 25 minutes) is Focus T25 (now that's a good work out)
  • More interested in weights? The try Body Beast (30 min to 1-hour workouts) Phew, upping the weight does it
  • How about Yoga (it's harder than you think). There's The Ultimate Yogi (1 hour) or Yoga 30 for 30 (30 mintues). Yoga is utterly essential in my opinion
  • And finally, there's the -heartbusting, palpitation-inducing ZenDudeFitness (less than 10 minutes). This is Jump Rope (skipping rope) and body weight workouts
I'm currently doing Ultimate Yogi and ZenDudeFitness. Amazing.
This with my newly started LCHF diet and I expect to have a great body by Summer ;)

Ah yes - I have Insanity, T25, P90X, and various others at home. What I don't have is a steam room, swimming pool and hydro pool :)

Those programs are really very good but hard - Insanity was just too full on for me. I'm someone that works better in a gym environment. I also have a Total Gym which is great for "rest" days. I'm signed up to the gym for 12 months now so I may as well use it! For me it's a great start to the day. Good luck with the LCHF & training :)

Reactions: Diakat

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Aye, having paid for a membership just crack on :)

I did go to the gym but found I tried too hard, and ended injuring myself. And that I can do this lot in the comfort of my own home without having to get in the car, etc etc.

Good luck

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you're doing Insanity don't expect comfort :D

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're doing Insanity don't expect comfort :D
I did the Insanity warm up once. Thought I was having a stroke. Never again.

Will stick to swimming and cycling, it actually works better for my BG and is a better aid for overall fitness and maintaining my correct weight IMO.

Reactions: seanj67

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah, Insanity is aptly named. I've know people to puke when starting it. And cry. lol

If you can get past the initial insanity of it all it is wonderous. You feel amazing and supremely powerful.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, Insanity is aptly named. I've know people to puke when starting it. And cry. lol

If you can get past the initial insanity of it all it is wonderous. You feel amazing and supremely powerful.
That's the thing about exercise, I used to run a little bit, and I struggled with it, but after a run I felt amazing. You do get a high.

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aye, having paid for a membership just crack on :)

I did go to the gym but found I tried too hard, and ended injuring myself. And that I can do this lot in the comfort of my own home without having to get in the car, etc etc.

Good luck

Yeh I totally agree with the injury thing through going to a gym. I also prefer too workout at home. I have found that if I work on muscle groups instead of a single muscle at a time, it seems to be more beneficial for me. I use a Rowing machine , a Total Gym, and Resistance Bands. Also started six months ago doing Planks, various ways its a great fat burn. I'm 56 years of age so fitness for me these days is about making it sustainable for myself. And I'm still building lean muscle and strength all at home.

Reactions: seanj67

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah yes - I have Insanity, T25, P90X, and various others at home. What I don't have is a steam room, swimming pool and hydro pool :)

Those programs are really very good but hard - Insanity was just too full on for me. I'm someone that works better in a gym environment. I also have a Total Gym which is great for "rest" days. I'm signed up to the gym for 12 months now so I may as well use it! For me it's a great start to the day. Good luck with the LCHF & training :)

Total Gym is great peice of kit. You can do so many body weight exercises them. Totally addicted to mine. Total Gym has got to be one of the best kept secrets around.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeh I totally agree with the injury thing through going to a gym. I also prefer too workout at home. I have found that if I work on muscle groups instead of a single muscle at a time, it seems to be more beneficial for me. I use a Rowing machine , a Total Gym, and Resistance Bands. Also started six months ago doing Planks, various ways its a great fat burn. I'm 56 years of age so fitness for me these days is about making it sustainable for myself. And I'm still building lean muscle and strength all at home.

I have a Total Gym - good piece of kit. It's handy for the days I don't go to the gym. Because if I do nothing on those days I tend to fall of the plan and end up skipping gym days too.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I find gym membership well worth the investment.
As you say, if it's part of a spa, even better!