BG rise after exercise?

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
My BG has been very high these past 2 or 3 month and reading advice on here I have drastically reduced my carbs in my diet and have had a pleasant 9.5mmol/L at bedtime for a few days. Last night before bed I checked my BG and I had a reading of 12mmol/L. This morning morning I got up and had a reading of 13.2 mmol/L (I know your liver dumps sugar when you sleep). I took my meds that I was meant to take and then went for a walk for one hour, a nice steady fast pace as always. When I got back, I checked my BG again and it has risen to 16.2 mmol/L! How is this possible? (I have not eaten breakfast as yet)

g-man

When your level is close to 14mmol then any additional exercise will push it further upwards.

There is a reason for this but I cannot remember exactly what it is, but it is a known variable in diabetes control.

Hi Eiche
Sounds frustrating. Haven't got the answer necessarily, but hope these questions might help your thinking

Is it possible that your meds hadn't yet started to work during your walk - or were still building up to their max effectiveness?

Sometimes your body can produce adrenaline in response to activity or exercise (just like when excited or stressed) and this can cause blood glucose to rise. Could this effect have contributed?

Hope this helps a bit :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Basically it is about getting the all important balance, in your case, with naturally produced Insulin and carbs, type of exercise and the effect it has on you.

I exercise and if low to start with would have a light carby snack or drink, test half way through as well, not just before and after and see what is happening. If too low then you might need to 'fuel' up a bit more.

If a little higher then you could up the intensity and see if it drops. You shouldn't really exercise when your BG level is above around 13 mmol/l as it will tend to make it higher.......something that is not adviseable.

The problem is that exercise can not only raise BG it can also lower it........so, test before, during and after exercise so that you can see what each individual element is doing to you, which is the best way to lower the levels. You may have done too much in this instance. A more leisurely walk might have been better. It also makes a difference as to what other activity between getting up and the walk, a shower perhaps ? This in itself can affect Bg levels.

if your BG is above 13 then you should check for keytones. if they are present then dont exercise!
this is something i only found out recently but if you have keytones any additional exercise will just push your suger levels higher. if no keytones are present then you should be fine and exercise should lower your sugar levels.
Are you eating in the morning when you get up? just like your liver raising your BG in your sleep it will continue to do so untill you have eaten something. i have a bag of almonds by my bedside and the first thing i do in the mornings now is eat a couple before i do anything the results are amazing. ive gone from having a BG of about 16 every morning to 7!
i hope you manage to work something out and remember although its great having stable sugar levels all the time sometimes we will get spikes and dips :D

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
Thanks you guys, I was panicking when I seen my BG rise so high! I didn't really exercise all that vigerous, just for a walk to drop my daughter off to school and then to the shops and took the long way home... I checked my ketones after I seen my BG so high, just for my own peace of mind, and there were some present, not much, just a trace. I lay down and took a nap for an hour and now my BG is down to 8.1mmol/L... I have to take another walk now as it's time for the school run and hope it will stay low now. I rather like being in the single figures for a change :p