Binge coming

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please take this post the right way, I know I ask a lot of questions and everyone that answers my posts I appreciate but...

My baby girl (18 months) will be having her 4th operation on Monday. Me and the husband will be staying overnight in the hospital and...I really am having the strongest erge in my life to binge. I am on the LCHF WOE and havent gone off plan in nearly 9 weeks but i can feel it...I will. My daughters condition and operations are contributory factors to me getting diabetes in the way in which I fed myself during and after these times dealing with the stress.

Apart form the obvious, carry what I can, is there anything I can do now whilst I still have some strength to not pig out? by this I mean, macdonalds, pizza, biscuits, chocolate bars, ice cream, cakes... are all calling my name very badly.

To top it off, I gave up cigarettes 6 months ago and have used electronic cigarettes since. Last night I dreamt I had a very satisfying cigarette and woke up seriously contemplating a pack of 10...and still am but have held out.

Should I just give in for a few days, or can i minimise the damage? I dont want to give in

Thank you for reading

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope the op goes well.
You can only do your best and your main concern is for your daughter, so compromise is the way here. You need to be as well as possible for her. Pack a pile of snacks. I have a small coolbag which keeps salad crispy & meat safe. Hardboiled eggs. Cheese. Cheese bread if you make it. Pork scratchings. Others here will have lots of ideas.
It's quite normal to dream of smoking after you've given up. I still do after 28 years. No worries. Just don't have one.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also hope the op goes well.

And I fully understand the urge to follow the pattern of emotional eating.

But, you have such a good understanding of it. You know and understand your past patterns. You have a conscious awareness of how you behave in a given set of circumstances. You know the trigger. You know the consequences. You recognise this is an unhealthy behaviour.

Why not break the pattern?
We are thinking, conscious beings, not helpless victims to past life patterns.

If you want to, there are plenty of ways that you can alter the outcome
- from buying a cigarette placebo now, and having it ready
- to filling your over-night bag with delicious, indulgent, OTT low carb treats (9bars, fat bombs, fantastic 70% choc, amazing LC cheese crackers...)

Every time you consciously indulge a negative behaviour pattern, you reinforce your self belief of being a helpless victim to it.

Choose to do it differently this time, and reinforce your self image as being capable, in charge of your decisions, and in charge of your body. Behaving like that around and for your daughter will help her tremendously, because she will be absorbing your coping mechanisms every day. Do you want to teach her to comfort eat?

Reactions: 14 people

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
Be strong you can and will win hope all goes well for your little girl

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never heard of those years, Will look into the bars and perhaps Casy some cheese oh and I do have some cheese crackers which are under 0'1g

I definitely do not want to teach my daughter to comfort eat

I think preparation will be the key and you guys have already given me some good ideas on foods to pack just in case

Reactions: 8 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hope all goes well for your little one it's so hard watching a baby go through surgery. I will be thinking of you, good advice above but if you do slip up don't beat yourself up about it, it will obviously be a stressful time so cope the best way you can, eat as healthy as you can.Try and let us know how you are all doing

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrsmac247 - I'll have my fingers crossed for you on Monday. I really hope it goes well.

If I could just make one comment and add one thing.

Firstly, if I could like @Brunneria 's response multiple times, I would. She summarises it so well, in my view. The only thing I would add would be to comment that a few weeks ago, when you had hit a bump in the road and were doubting if you could carry on with the WoE, I recall you commented on how well you have been feeling, eating lower carb. Who knows what your body's reaction to a carb-fest would be, but at a time when I can only imagine you want to be strong for your baby, husband and other family members, it does seem to make too much sense to load up on food that makes you feel less well.

Yes, lots of LC nibbles and treats, and there are loads of options around the place. I'm hopeless on nibbles as I tend to eat my meals and not want anything in between.

Again, good luck for you all for Monday, and don't forget to try to make a little time for yourself along the way..

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are a lot stronger than you think or give yourself credit for. You are working through this disease whilst also caring for your family, and you have achieved so much.

Focus on what you can do, because you can do a lot.

Hoping Monday goes the way you want it to.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Wishing you and your little one all the very best for her operation, bless her. Of course it is a worrying time for you and you are probably feeling anxious and a little scared, but I'm sure you will do fine.
Nibbles and snacks sound like a good idea. You have done really well by giving up smoking, I went through a bad and an upsetting time( 3 1/2 years ago) and I never even thought of having a cigarette, I gave up two years earlier. It's the unknown that is the scariest. Can you still log on here for some extra support ( if that's possible of course) so you have a little lifeline to communicate?
Sending lots of positive thoughts your way and a ((((((((((( hug )))))))))) too.

RRB x

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanking everyone for the time give taken to respond. The last couple of days has been hard emotionally but funny enough my eating has done a different direction and definitely not on purpose.

I have found for some reason my appetite had changed. Where I was craving the sweet comforts, I kind of have lost my appetite for all food! We went to a bbq and ask I had was 1 piece of chicken and 2 no carb burgers we took along ask other things just didn't appeal and to be honest when I came home after the day I really hasn't eaten much food.

As was said, I guess I have the upper hand because I am able to analyse what is happening and today I will make a conscious effort to up my veg and salad as a faint mummy will be of no use to anyone coupled with the fact that we leave at 4 tomorrow morning.

I will be away from home for two days but the suggestions of cheese, cheese crackers from aldi (0.1 each!), some nuts and maybe some cold cut meats will be coming with me. I think I may make some bacon lettuce wraps for the journey...I like that idea

You guys are great and have made me see some important things to remember during the next few days...I can do this and be ok...and if I do slip, I will be ok but I am not planning to

Reactions: 8 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Best of luck for your daughters operation. Very importantly your daughter needs a strong and healthy carer, her mother.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending you and your daughter positive thoughts.
Hope you don't binge on bad foods it will only make you bad. If your near a supermarket or even the hospital canteen you can fill up on chease ..eggs and salads.. No smoking either ..it will make you feel so unwell.. As will eating high carb foods ... And you need to good to get through this stressful time

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes indeed - I hope the op goes well!

(And, sorry to be so selfish, but... what crackers are these? ;) )

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanking everyone for the time give taken to respond. The last couple of days has been hard emotionally but funny enough my eating has done a different direction and definitely not on purpose.

I have found for some reason my appetite had changed. Where I was craving the sweet comforts, I kind of have lost my appetite for all food! We went to a bbq and ask I had was 1 piece of chicken and 2 no carb burgers we took along ask other things just didn't appeal and to be honest when I came home after the day I really hasn't eaten much food.

As was said, I guess I have the upper hand because I am able to analyse what is happening and today I will make a conscious effort to up my veg and salad as a faint mummy will be of no use to anyone coupled with the fact that we leave at 4 tomorrow morning.

I will be away from home for two days but the suggestions of cheese, cheese crackers from aldi (0.1 each!), some nuts and maybe some cold cut meats will be coming with me. I think I may make some bacon lettuce wraps for the journey...I like that idea

You guys are great and have made me see some important things to remember during the next few days...I can do this and be ok...and if I do slip, I will be ok but I am not planning to

Good girl. Good, good girl!!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think it had all been said, @Mrsmac247. Carb binge will make you sleepy. Hospitals and surgery for you little girl will mean not much sleep too. You need to be alert as possible.
I know you will make the right choices, because you are stronger than you realise.
Best wishes for a good outcome for your little one.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes indeed - I hope the op goes well!

(And, sorry to be so selfish, but... what crackers are these? ;) )
Not selfish atall it was an accidental find in Aldi, where all the biscuits and crackers are, they are in a yellow packet and called Cheese Finns. On the back it days 0.1g per biscuit. 44g per pack. There seem to be two different packets, on the back of one of them it shows 1.7g per biscuit. We just made sure we got the lower ones.

Took a risk and had 4 with some cheese, tested at 1h and 2 hours and but even a flinch in my Bg

Reactions: 5 people

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
MrsMac, all the very best to you and your child. If you slip a bit don't beat yourself up, but I don't think you're going too.

I've been near slipping a few times and read some advise somewhere on here to eat the right low carb sort of things asap, and then the temptation to binge might well just go away. So far that's worked for me, thoughts of eating carbs in bulk evaporated once I wasn't hungry. So in the middle of caring for others, do regularly try to eat those lovely low carb snacks your taking with you, so you won't get hungry. Take care.

PS. Good to take lots of water too, as vending machine drinks can be sugar bombs.

Reactions: 5 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess I have the upper hand because I am able to analyse what is happening and today I will make a conscious effort to up my veg and salad as a faint mummy will be of no use to anyone coupled with the fact that we leave at 4 tomorrow morning.

What an excellent attitude Mrsmac, you're an inspiration girl! I think having identified your concerns in advance and put some contingencies in place will have helped, but largely it's down to you having such a positive mental attitude. Your daughter is SO lucky to have you as a role model through her own health issues x

Reactions: 3 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much, I must admit I am definitely not always positive but if there is a problem I like to try and solve it in advance lol.

I brought a tray of chicken drumsticks which are just about to go in the halogen to carry with us, and in a couple of hours will grill the bacon for our lettuce and cheese wraps. Biscuits are in the bag ready to go and will take a few extra cheese slices.

All in all, I think the food side of things is sorted. Me and the hubby will use our evening walk to pick up some bottles of water, thanks for reminding me of the costs.

Honestly, I can't thank you all enough for your help, I am much more prepared than I was a few days ago.

Reactions: 3 people