Bit of the old DKA

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have what is currently a mild case of DKA, equivalent to a hangover. Hopefully it will not get worse. My infusion set failed overnight but I have replaced it this morning so hopefully all will be well.

CGM is also on the blink after 4th use of the same sensor which hadn't helped in spotting the problem over night. It was alarming but I was ignoring it and my bedside meter was out of strips.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh dear that's not a good start to the bank holiday! Hope you are feeling better soon and keep checking those levels and ketones.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gah ! :(
Technology is wonderful , until it fails:( I hope you managed to catch it in time. Will you be able to get hold of some more strips before tomorrow ?

Anything you can do with the CGM ? I'm unfamiliar with those.

Signy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not a good start to the day Spiker, no chance you can get hold of some test strips until you get the problem with your CGM resolved?

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you post where you are maybe one of us could bring you a spare meter with some strips?

t1
Diagnosed 14/02/2013
44 years old
basal/bolus

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Technology is great when it is all doing the right thing keeping you safe. It is like a snowball gathering speed when multiple things go wrong. I have cancelled CGM alarms through the night before without registering what they say and of course it always turns out to be the really vital times. I hope your new infusion set is doing the right thing and your DKA hangover head is clearing.

iHs

With a pump for sure, its important to have a backup bg meter with teststrips. Big mistake to rely on just one. On saying all this, there's a first time for everything.......we all get caught out sometimes. Hope you get yr bg down with a pen rather than pump and then sort out the infusion set and what went wrong. Just goes to show, when the cgm alarms, best not to ignore, get up and do a bg test

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hope it all settles down soon. Not a great situation for you.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all. I had spare strips downstairs just not at my bedside and didn't fancy going downstairs to confirm what the erratic CGM was saying. Turns out the CGM was basically right that my BG rising all night. I'm on the mend now as my pump is working again.

Reactions: 7 people

iHs

Glad ur ok again. Tonight.....make sure that you have a bg meter and some strips upstairs and also, a spare set just in case you need to change it and an insulin pen with a small amount of bolus in it

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Nearly had the same this morning, did a set change, but it didn't stick to my leg, so looked at it and bit of blood in the canula, so hubby got me a new set. Got to my parents as relatives were coming down, so lucky enough I caught it before it got out of hand. Hope your feeling better. I all ways have kept a spare meter, just in case.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you caught yours Julie.

I have literally about 8 meters in the house and several hundred strips. My stash of 50 strips for my bedside meter ran out after my bed time test, and when the CGM woke me up repeatedly in the night, because I knew that the CGM sensor was on the way out and the CGM was erratic, I could not quite persuade myself to wake up, go down stairs, and find another box of strips to verify the climbing high blood sugar pattern the CGM was showing. Not until morning. So, lesson learned, I will be keeping the spare strips stash in my bedside table topped up. There are 150 strips in there now. :)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks all. I had spare strips downstairs just not at my bedside and didn't fancy going downstairs to confirm what the erratic CGM was saying. Turns out the CGM was basically right that my BG rising all night. I'm on the mend now as my pump is working again.

Good to hear you're on the mend :) Take care

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are you feeling now?
I'm ok now but I felt **** most of the day and by about 5pm I was finished. It felt exactly like having a hangover (it wasn't) and I got no sympathy from anyone, they all thought it was an actual hangover.

Reactions: 3 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Good question on the overnight problem. Hope someone can give some advice. Since pump I have always tested at 3am in case!