Blood glucose levels

garythegob

Could someone please advise me what "ideal" levels should be, my nurse says 4-7mmol no matter when the test is taken, before breakfast, after lunch etc, but i am sure i have read on the DCUK site 4-10mmol is acceptable!

My medication is

Aspirin 75mg
Metformin 4x 500mg
Gliclazide 4x 80mg
Byetta 2x 5micrograms
Atorvastatin 1x 80mg

as well as some other meds not diabetes related

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Finzi

On this occasion, I would actually try to follow your nurses recommendation if you can, if you are Type 2

The 10mmol is for *type 1 children* after meals - it's not that 10 is a great level in itself, but its to avoid the risk of hypos. Similarly with the 9 for type 1 adults. For Type 2, between 4 and 7 would show very good control. May not be always easily achievable at first.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I see this has been posted in the driving and dvla listing.

Is the query for normal day to day levels or when you are driving? If driving.. You should never drive under five...

Bit like saying under four, on the floor... Or clunk click every trip!! Under five and don't drive...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Blimey that's some daily mileage!!Crikey!!

Even as a type 2 for driving you should try to keep to above 5.

10 is the upper limit that Dsn's like to see for type 1's I believe after meals. There are NICE guidelines which are the benchmarks really for health professionals and us to try and keep under... But I haven't got a clue about what the link is to see them..

garythegob

Am a computer engineer, live in Plymouth, and cover devon, cornwall, somerset, south dorset, Avon, gloucester, wiltshire, and south Wales! LoL last company car had from brand new, March 2009, went back September 2012 with 192,000 on clock LoL

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
donnellysdogs said:
You should never drive under five...

Just want to clarify - I've just informed DVLA about my insulin and I refer to "A Guide to Insulin Treated Diabetes and Driving" [DIABINF]
Quote - ... if your blood glucose is 5.0 mmol/L or less take a snack. If it is less than 4.0mmol/L or you feel hypoglaecemic do not drive.

Sorry - I know I'm being a bit pedantic but but those are the rules I will be following.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I agree ... If 5 I will always snack... Snacks and treats are stuck to dashboard, cup holder, glove compartments, leven on passenger seat......having cgm helps though.
Perhaps I should have said my saying would be for myself is 'snack at 5.0 before you drive'.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
To drive the best
Have a rest
And do a test...
Dont be in the few
That drive over two (hours)
Keep safe
And get to your place!!

Sure there's more..lol!!!