Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Hello,

I was diagnosed with Type 2 a month ago. Am pleased that I am losing weight and my diet is healthier. I've had a few problems with false hypos, pains in feet, twitching muscles in legs and aching legs, but I feel good most of the time. I want to be in control so want a blood glucose testing meter. I've been reading about the different options and am totally confused. Would really appreciate some of your opinions on the what you think the best one is:)
many thanks.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Soozieann .. and welcome
It's important that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 (you don't pay VAT) or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them. Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them
Hope this helps

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I use the codefree meter purely because the strips are cheap.
I did have a accurate check meter but strips were too expensive for me.
Both read different numbers.
I could be wrong here, but I do believe that any meter is, t 100% accurate.
By using the same meter all the time, it gives me pre meal reading and 2 hour post meal reading.
That way I know how things are going.

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Thanks so much Ally and AM1874. That gives me exactly what I needed. My GP said as I would never get hypos using Metformin, a meter wasn't necessary. I told her last week, that I was going to get one as I needed to know how food affected me. Yep, it's probably all to do with cuts.
On a different tack, I love the photo you've used AM1874- as a family historian I just love old photos:)

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Ordered the Tee2. I've been going round circles! So relieved it's sorted.

Reactions: berylc

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Ordered the Tee2. I've been going round circles! So relieved it's sorted.
Good machine and a pretty fast postal service when you order the testing strips. Remember to fill in that you are diabetic so not to pay vat

Reactions: Soozieann