Blood Meters - Whole or Blood V's Plasma test results!

jboyuklad

Hi,

Been Diabetic for 20+ years now and have used a blood meter for a large percentage of those years. My previous meter was a life scan one touch ultra smart which I loved. However my diabetes centre suggested I use a new one called Bayer Contour Link as it will interact with my insulin pump.

The dilemma is that I had reason to doubt the accuracy of my contour link meter and tested my blood of both machines and got a huge variation in the results. The contour link said my sugar was 31.8 while my ultra smart machine said I was 21.7.

I was told by Bayer that the reason for this is my contour link uses a plasma based testing procedure which is apparently more accurate and the test they would run in a hospital lab. while my ultra smart use and whole of blood procedure. They said to allow for a 20% variation between the two types of result.

Both machines are testing accurately when used with their respective control solutions, which adds to the confusion as the variation is bigger than 20% but no apparent defect in either machine.

I am now in a state of confusion over which machine to believe as it makes a big difference to amount of insulin to take.

The out of hours doctor has recommended that I use the lower reading to avoid over medicating but still avoiding ketonacidosis. Unfortunately my diabetes centre is shut and their out of hours service is NHS direct, who put me onto the out of hours doctor.

I was just wondering if anyone has come across this scenario before as I am now having a crisis of confidence over this?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Most meters used in Britain measure whole blood, but most American ones measure plasma. the booklet will tell you. The conversion factor is 1.12, which isn't 20%. I don't use insulin, let alone a pump, but i would suggest you use whichever meter suits you, take the amount of insulin, test after a couple of hours and make any corrections then. Then just remember or write down what happened.

jboyuklad

Thanks for your replies.

The problem I have is that using my pump for a sugar of 21.7 I would give 7.4 units of insulin and for a reading of 31.8 I would give 12.4, as you can see that's a biggest difference and that worries me about going hypo during the night.

As for the ife scan testing plasma, it's strange coz the blood stick canister for the Life scan machine says for testing glucose in "whole of blood"