Blood monitoring at work

LittleWolf

Re: Blood monitoring at work

I am a full time student and do it under the desk or go to the bathroom when I feel weird or after lunch

I hope no one objects to your testing equipment because the lancet is pointy. :/

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I never had trouble at work, if the office was rammed with people would wait a few mins until the office was back to normal. If feeling funny would test any how.

Djashe2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
uneducated and ignorant people with views on diabtes

Very conscious about the impact of checking bloods and injecting in public worst place is on long haul flights.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I tend to test in the toilet, under the table in the food area, or keep it in my bag and put my hands inside and do it there. I've never had anyone moan at me for doing it so far, but I do try todo it discretely.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Always been open about my diabetes at work and need to test. Done it everywhere and everyhwere in distribution warehouses, done it at board level meetings, never asked just done it.
Nobody has ever questioned it ever.. Not in work place or public as far as I remember. Work as self emplyed gardener now- worst thing is trying to get hands clean to test!!
I used to inject at work.. Anywhere, as and when needed.. Never did in toilets.. Never have even on long haul plane trips to Canada...
Only person questioned anything was when I wore a swimming costume top with jeans, -so my pump and tube showed on my arm. Somebody asked what it was.. Shocked them initially when I said it was a new probation tag....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1368049402.161135.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1368049402.161135.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,086

ben21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi.
Did you know that as Diabetes qualifies as a disability under the Equality act - this means your employer has to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate our disability. This means employers should give you time and space to check your bloods and inject.

laurenmilward

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Have tried to arrange times at work and set meal times but because of my job I'm a nursing home it is hard to find time to look after my diabetes because of such a demanding job and whenever I go to my bag to do my bloods etc they always ask questions and are rude about it. My manager even asked "if I was in the right job" when I had my review.

Djashe2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
uneducated and ignorant people with views on diabtes

Lauren i know what you mean, my works a demanding enough with shifts bit having to inject in a car or public place is very awkward. Think maybe its me thinking how the others are feeling more than me be self conscious about it.

Cody

Being diabetic for 25 years I take it in my stride and will honestly inject or test my blood anywhere at all, infront of anyone!! Injecting myself infront of anyone would never bother me. If they want to stare let them! Then if they want to ask any questions u have all the answers and could even teach them a thing or 2. But if its only a short flight u might aswell not bother explaining eh

qbix

I told everyone at work when I was diagnosed and keep my insulin and BG monitor on my desk. I test and I inject at my desk and in public. If I am with people other than family I'll ask if they mind me injecting in front of them as I realise some people could be squeamish about it. It's just easier that way. I have never had anyone say no about injecting in front of them. Being open at work has meant people have asked to use my BG monitor to see if they are diabetic too! :smile:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I never ask, I just do it where ever and when ever. Not one person has ever complained to me in over 40 years.

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity

There is one gentleman in my office who always makes a fuss when I get my kit out. I recently told him that it would be easier for the first aiders to deal with him fainting then it would be to treat me for a severe hypo or organ failure due to not taking my insulin! Dramatic I know, but he soon shut-up about it!

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol

Tumble said:
There is one gentleman in my office who always makes a fuss when I get my kit out. I recently told him that it would be easier for the first aiders to deal with him fainting then it would be to treat me for a severe hypo or organ failure due to not taking my insulin! Dramatic I know, but he soon shut-up about it!

Lol yes know the feeling had 1 guy built like outhouse hard guy been in nick pulled out my insulin pen put needle on he went white and nearly passed out what's the big deal with some people the needle is so tiny

ilnar

JIMDOG1 said:
Tumble said:

Lol yes know the feeling had 1 guy built like outhouse hard guy been in nick pulled out my insulin pen put needle on he went white and nearly passed out what's the big deal with some people the needle is so tiny

its called an "irrational" fear because its irrational!
people cant help it,
theres a lass in our office who is the same, its easy enough to ask her to pop out and grab something so she doesn't see,
she hasn't worked it out either:)

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Some people just like to make a fuss for the little bit of drama. After 27 years one of my sisters still grimaces when she sees me testing or injecting. LYes, she is a drama queen! Some people do have a genuine phobia and it should be treated with as much respect as our right to test and inject

ilnar

Thundercat said:
Some people just like to make a fuss for the little bit of drama. After 27 years one of my sisters still grimaces when she sees me testing or injecting. LYes, she is a drama queen! Some people do have a genuine phobia and it should be treated with as much respect as our right to test and inject

thundercat, single pawedly restoring my faith in the online community, one post at a time!

Mr Happy

When i was first diagnosed I fainted when they attached me to the drip. After many thousands of injections i still get squemish seeing it on tv - as has been said, its a weird fear!

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol

ilnar said:
JIMDOG1 said:
Tumble said:

its called an "irrational" fear because its irrational!
people cant help it,
theres a lass in our office who is the same, its easy enough to ask her to pop out and grab something so she doesn't see,
she hasn't worked it out either:)
Yes some people do have phobia about needles spiders or other things mine is height but I try not to let it get the better of me and somtimes I forget when people have fear of needles or are being drama queen I show em photo of the central Line I had in my neck now that was big

qbix

Yeah. When I was first diagnosed I didn't want to inject in front if my kids, but my wife said we should so they would get used to it. The second time I did it my eldest burst into tears and said "I don't want daddy to have diabetes. We then had to tell her it wasn't sore and it was good for me to do it. It was still pretty heartbreaking though. They are both fine with it now as they see it every day. I guess it is just part of their day now like anything else.

I would rather that than having to sneak off every time I needed to do my BG and take my insulin. It's just much easier that way.

I think that is what it is like for my colleagues now, no one even notices any more.