1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

BLOOD PRESSURE FOR DIABETICS

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by cugila, Nov 15, 2010.

1. cugila

cugila · Master

Many Diabetics suffer from High Blood Pressure - Hypertension. It is something that can be treated well but first of all you need to know that you actually have it.

It is not something that you will always feel or notice, the signs and symptoms can often be missed or confused with something else. The only way to find out if you have it is by testing your BP.

If you do have high BP a single test once in a while is not going to be much help so just having it tested at a Clinic every few months is not really a good way to know if it is under control.

The best way is to buy yourself a good quality Arm Cuff tester and test at home at various times of the day/night. Then you will know how your BP is throughout a day. It will vary due to many things, so don't expect it to remain the same all the time.

The charts that tell you what is a good BP to have are for people who have no other risk factors.

If you are a Diabetic the present recommendation is that your BP should be lower than 130/80 if possible to avoid further complications. What is 'normal' for a non-Diabetic is NOT 'normal' for a Diabetic. You need to understand that first thing..........

Here is a link to the UK Blood Pressure Association website where there is much information.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressure ... odpressure

• Like Like x 2
  2. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Re: BLOOD PRESSURE FOR DIABETIC'S

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. My BP has always been fine, but my cholesterol fluctuates between 4 and 8 regularly. I'll be interested to see how the 2 are linked (if at all).

• Like Like x 2
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Good post Ken and well worthy of a mention! :)

Just one more thing, as Ken says buy a bp meter with the arm cuff included and not a wrist version cuff, the blood pressure association recommend using arm cuffs as the wrist ones are thought to be unreliable.

Nigel

4. cugila

cugila · Master

There is a connection and it is just down to the fact that if there is too much Cholesterol in your Arteries it can build up and narrow the Arteries which will increase the risks of a Heart attack or Stroke.

Here is a link to the subject Fats and Cholesterol in the BPA link I posted. There is much in the link which will answer many of your questions. We do not want to duplicate what is going on in the Cholesterol thread, that would be taking it off topic....Have a read of this link.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressure ... holesterol

Blood pressure has many causes but principally if you have a lot of salt, lead a sedentary lifestyle, are overweight, drink in excess and maybe dont eat much fruit and Veg that can all be risky. Your lifestyle needs to be healthy at all times.

Again from the BPA.......

5. theblokefromstoke

theblokefromstoke · Well-Known Member

Blood Pressure

Mines a little high but the doctor says nothing to worry about - its generally 130 - 135 / 80 something.

I would really like it to be down in the 120's. I do excercise, I do eat veg and I take 1/2 asprin per day. Has anybody any natural tips for lowering blood pressure? I've heard Broccoli is good?

carl

• Like Like x 2
  6. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Re: Blood Pressure

Keep well hydrated and lose weight
    hana

7. cugila

cugila · Master

8. dorcas61

dorcas61 · Well-Known Member

For most of my life my BP was on the low side - I once had 80/60 and felt fine!

I was diagnosed as Type 2 in April, and in May my BP was 140/98, but the nurse forgot to tell me or follow it up (!) - I had a check up in October and a different nurse was very concerned that I hadn't been told, especially as it was still high (140/90) - she made me an appointment with the Diabetic GP two weeks later, by which time my bP was 120/70 :)

How?? Said the GP, who was expecting to put me on BP tablets - simples! I followed the nurse's advice and cut down on salt (no added salt and watched labels carefully) and Caffeine (Decaff coffee and tea, no more Diet Coke).

We were all amazed, but no tablets, which is brilliant :) tho I have to admit, food without salt is very boring - any advice?

9. theblokefromstoke

theblokefromstoke · Well-Known Member

Thanks Dorcas / hanadr

Something you have both said has struck home with me keep hydrated - cut down on caffine. I don't drink milk in my cofee but thinking about it, I must have 10+ cups a day. In fact, the kettle has just boiled right now.

I'll make this one my last for a bit and swap for glasses of water!

Thanks again.

10. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes dorcas61.................black pepper! :)

I've never liked the taste of salt in my food and prefer to use ground black pepper as a food enhancer. Pleased to see your dropped the caffeine drinks too, I ditched the caffeine 4 months ago for other reasons but must admit I have seen a small reduction in my bp since.

Nigel

11. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

12. dorcas61

dorcas61 · Well-Known Member

Thanks! This morning I had scrambled eggs with a blob of cream and a sprinkling of black pepper - very nice :)

I've also made a chicken casserole with basil (and black pepper!) - more subtle than salt, but tasty :)

13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Pleased you found it tasty dorcas61! :D

Nigel

14. ShyGirl

ShyGirl · Well-Known Member

:(

15. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Shygirl, your bp of 171 at your eye exam could just be down to "white coat syndrome" you don't need to feel stressed for your bp to go up. My blood pressure is always high when tested at the doctors or in hospitals and I was always told I had white coat syndrome.

Do you have a home testing kit, if you test yourself at different times of the day you will get a good picture of your usual bp.

Re arm v's wrist cuff testers I have both and my wrist cuff works just fine, but you do have to remember to elevate your wrist to heart height, if the cuff is lower than your heart it will not give an accurate reading :D

16. cugila

cugila · Master

Whilst I agree with Sid about testing your blood pressure at home if you think you may be at risk of 'White Coat Syndrome' it is important that any meter you use is clinically validated by both the British Hypertension Society and the European Society of Hypertension.

This from the UK BPA (Blood Pressure Association)........

I was diagnosed with WCS some 14 yrs ago after being monitored for 24 hrs and since then have always taken my own BP readings with a clinically validated upper arm monitor. I do have a wrist one (not CV) for travelling purposes but I have found that it never gives the same reading as an upper arm one.......but it is better than nothing. My GP seems to think it is because I have always had an eye for the Nurses........nah ! :wink:

My GP etc know that they can trust any readings I take as I use the same one that my GP has in his surgery. The readings are clinically correct as it is a CV meter. I use the Omron MX3 which cost about £60 but there are cheaper models including a few wrist monitors available.

So whether you go for Upper Arm or Wrist type.....make sure it is clinically validated then you can trust the readings and your HCP's will be able to as well. :)

A useful link to the BPA all about Monitors with a list of the makes which are clinically validated.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressure ... ourmonitor

Hope that helps.

17. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

18. ShyGirl

19. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

20. ShyGirl

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook