Blood pressure question

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to a diabetic clinic appointment the other day and had weight and blood pressure checks done first - I am sure the lady said it was 145/62 but I was a bit flustered so I may have missed heard. The consultant didn't say anything but my mother in law says that this is high blood pressure and got me a bit panicked. I had it tested at the doctors in June ish and no mention of anything then? If it had been a problem would the consultant have said something? Sorry to be a total ***** anny has anyone else got this reading - I'm not sure what is good or bad?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The top figure is slightly above what it should be, the bottom figure is absolutely fine. BP levels fluctuate and stress of a diabetes clinic can elevate it, so all things considered yours look fine.

If you want to keep an eye on things just purchase a home bp monitor, they are great value for money.

Edit to add, here's some info on bp levels for people with diabetes:

• For someone without diabetes the blood pressure should be no higher than 140/85 but when you have diabetes (or if you have had a heart attack, stroke or coronary heart disease) your blood pressure should be no higher than 130/80.
  • It is important to have your blood pressure checked at least once a year as part of your annual review for diabetes. This helps to ensure that it is in the target range and not increasing your risk of developing diabetes complications.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Managing-your-diabetes/Testing/

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The top figure is only slightly above what it should be, the bottom figure is absolutely fine. BP levels fluctuate and stress of a diabetes clinic can elevate it, so all things considered yours look fine.

If you want to keep an eye on things just purchase a home bp monitor, they are great value for money.
Thanks for that very helpful - they have a machine at the gp surgery that I may hop on ;) my husband is a gym nut and I am sure if I mention a bp monitor I can persuade him to get one! ;) I don't usually seek out things to worry about but mother in law asked me and I told her - her face was a picture lol.

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you do buy a home monitor go for a Omron, they are the best IMHO and you'll find most gp surgery's and hospital clinics use them, I'm on my second one and can't fault it, they cost around £20 on the likes of Amazon.

I do think things like bp is worth keeping an eye on @Bon83 , sure your husband will use it more than you........lol

Reactions: Babyweed and Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Used the gp machine on way to supermarket came out 114/66 - I must not like hospitals lol! The nice lady said I can use the machine anytime uh oh - gives you weight and height too! Thanks everyone :)