Blood pressure readings

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am 5 days into my weeks test with an Omcron M2 blood pressure meter and it is amazing what differences there are in the readings and I suppose it depends on what activity (if any) you have been engaged in before taking the readings and what you have eaten. I won`t bore you with all 18 readings taken so far but I will give you the highest and lowest. 178 over 90 and 126 over 61. Quite a variance there. I will strive to get as near as possible to te lower of the two readings. Kenny

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can find significant differences taking two tests one after the other - BP changes constantly like BS does. The best time to check is after resting sitting down, legs definitely not crossed, arm outstretched with palm upwards, and not just after a meal. Normally BP will drop after eating as the blood is busy dealing with the digestion, and will rise after/during exercise, even mild exercise like walking upstairs, or if a worrying thought has entered your head.

If you want to get the best out of it, take it at different times of the day and evening and after different events. Then average them.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Because I suffer with white coat syndrome quite badly any BP readings at the doctor's surgery are useless so I have been told to take it at home morning and night two days a week at least half an hour after eating and after having rested for 5 minutes and, even though my BP is controlled with two different drugs, it is still very variable - anything from 149 over 97 down to 110 over 62. Thankfully its mainly lower nowadays. The only common factor with the high readings are stress.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my few wicked pleasures in the last year, since putting on a lot of weight, is making a conscious effort to relax before the nurse takes my blood pressure and watching her expression as it comes in at about 120/70 with a pulse rate of 60. I was always very fit and could run up if not mountains then quite steep hills. I have a large lung capacity too. Sometimes the apparatus is doubted and the nurse goes and gets another one just to check the veracity of the readings.
To get consistent readings at home I always do the test in the same place, and take the advice in the booklet about leaving time after hot drinks and eating before testing. Also about adjusting the cuff - if it is pulled tight rather than left slightly loose I get far higher top readings and lower bottom ones, so I am both above and below the ideal range.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Try this:
1. Empty your mind and think very pure thoughts, read your bp.
2. Then think about sex, read your bp!!!
And that's just thinking about it.
Sally