Blood readings all over the place

Muchly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I have been type 1 for nearly two years and whilst I stayed within the range 0.8-1.2 before meals and 1.4 - 1.8 two hours after eating, in the past five months the readings have been all over the place.
I have had stress in this period as I am going through a divorce after a 40yr marriage but I feel quite relaxed for most of the time.
Sometimes I take insulin and it seems to make no difference, then at others, my waking reading is normal.
Should I cut down on the carbs more? I have been told that I need the carbs to make the insulin work.
This morning for example, my fasting reading was 130. Two hours later after porridge and two strawberries, it had risen to 320!
I am 5'1in tall and weigh 50kilos, so am probably slightly underweight.
Any help would be most appreciated as I am finding the diabetes hard to come to terms with.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Muchly You don't need carbs to make the insulin work, but you do need to count carbs and adjust your insulin appropriately. Are you doing that?

I'm a little confused by your 0.8-1.2 range. Is that a typo?

Muchly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No, sorry I was using metric.
The figures I was told to use in imperial were 4.4-6.7 before meals and two hours afterwards 6.7- 8.9.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@azure is correct. You don't need carbs to make insulin work. However you do need to count carbs to know how much insulin to take. @azure taught me the timing of your bolus makes a big difference. I don't eat any carbs to speak of but I've read many times that prebolusing for carbs works very well. You'd have to keep testing of course to see how soon to bolus to catch the spike.

Is porridge your usual bf?