1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood sugar issues

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by diabeticmegxo, Aug 8, 2017.

1. diabeticmegxo

diabeticmegxo Type 1 · Member

Hi I'm new to this but I've been diagnosed for almost 8 years I'm fourteen and my bloods are way out of control my meter reads "HI" a lot and my hba1c has gone up to fourteen I don't carb count I only do 2 injections a day that's novo mix 30 by the way so I was wandering if anyone would be able to help

2. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Why are you on mixed insulin and not a basal/bolus regime? Where are you based?

A mixed insulin regime will only be able to cope with a certain quantity of carbs intake. If you are getting readings of HI then that suggests you are eating too many carbs for your insulin to deal with. You should get some advice from your healthcare team on what sort of carb intake your insulin is designed to deal with or whether you need to increase your dosage.

When you get a reading of HI are you testing for ketones?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. azure

azure Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @diabeticmegxo :)

When did this rise in blood sugar start? Have your team given you any advice?

I was on a mixed insulin regime when I was first diagnosed. You really do need to carb count to get good control. I was given set doses of insulin but also set amounts of carbs to eat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. diabeticmegxo

I'm based in Birmingham and I was on a basal bolus regime but they didn't think it was right and yeah I am testing for ketones

5. diabeticmegxo

Hello it's been happening for a while now they've told me I can correct with novo rapid as well as using my novo mix and I was on carb counting but they put me back to breakfast and dinner injections

6. Carterbpool

Carterbpool Type 1 · Member

Hi I'm on novamix too and my readings are constantly high always feeling crappy

7. azure

azure Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Whatever insulin regime you're on, you need to carb count to control your diabetes.

Carb counting is slightly different for fixed dose twice a day injectiins, but you should still have been told how to do it. Put simply, it means you're given an amount of carbs to eat for each meal (and sometimes snacks too).

I would push for help with this as it will make your life easier and your sugars better :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. azure

azure Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you carb count @Carterbpool ? It's absolutely crucial for good control.

9. diabeticmegxo

It is annoying when it happens I hope they put me back on novorapid soon

10. diabeticmegxo

Ah okay thank youI was doing carbohydrate counting but then they said it wasn't working so I needed to go back to the one I'm doing now

11. azure

azure Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok :)

@diabeticmegxo I think they used "carb counting" as another term for the basal bolus insulin regime (4 injections a day) but thats not what carb counting is on a basic levels. It's simply counting carbs - literally adding them up :)

On a mixed insulin regime like you're on, you need to be told what amount of carbs to have for each meal. Then you obviously have to add up the carbs (carb count) to get to the right amount for that meal.

As an example (do NOT use these numbers - they're just made up to show what I mean):

Morning mixed insulin dose 20 units -
    Breakfast 40g carbs
    Mid morning snack 10g carbs
    Lunch 50g carbs
    Mid afternoon snack 20g carbs
    Evening mixed insulin dose 25 units -
    Evening meal 55g carbs
    Bedtime snack 15g carbs

(Some people don't need snacks)

If you just take your set amounts of mixed insulin and eat random amounts of carbs, you'll get random blood sugar results, including highs and lows.

I hope I explained that ok :)

12. diabeticmegxo

Yeah you explained it well thank you I will speak to them about being put back on 4 injections a day but thanks again

13. fletchweb

fletchweb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You would not believe how often this happens @diabeticmegxo - I've given up on most Health Professionals as they tend to be so miss-informed on Diabetes Management. I figured this out years ago when I was a teen - and started reading studies on my own and became more up to date on things - this was before the Internet so I had help from my parents,
    From my experience most Physicians are processed driven - they get procedures/instructions from the Pharmaceutical Rep and then turn around and start treating their patients based on the process.
    My doctor asked me once why I never saw him - and I replied I'm never sick and if I need a prescription to something I'll come to see you. He wasn't overly thrilled by the answer I gave him but that's the way it goes.
    So my suggestion - start doing research, post questions on these forums (like you have just now) to see what others are doing - and once you're at a level of confidence start making demands on your doctor. If anything it will be interesting to see how he/she reacts :)
    Good luck and all the best!

• Like Like x 1
  14. diabeticmegxo

Thank you

15. Meggielou

Meggielou Type 1 · Member

yeah I've been diabetic for 12 years and I was like that at one point but what I would do is go see ur diabetes team and see what they have to say about it. you may have an infection of some kind or need extra insulin

• Like Like x 1
  16. diabeticmegxo

I've been in hospital for my diabetes to stabilise my blood sugars and they've put me back on carbohydrate counting and it's working so well now so far

17. Meggielou

That's good let me know if u want a diabetic friend who knows what it's like

18. diabeticmegxo

I do

19. Meggielou

Me too lol

20. diabeticmegxo

Ha ha x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook