Blood sugar

High blood sugar without symptoms needs a 999 call
true or not true

Yes if dangerously high without symptoms
true or not true

Or i should phone 999 anyway without the symptoms would it be if only my dad had symptoms and then phone 999?

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Phone 111 as they will do an assessment over the phone. I get symptoms with high blood sugars, not everyone does.
If your dad is very sleepy/unconscious then phone 999

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actually people rarely have symptoms with high blood sugar as I know from bitter experience. How high is your dads blood sugar? In 2016 rose to over 30 with no symptoms. The only reason I found out was because I was admitted to hospital for heart problems. My blood glucose was tested because I was diabetic type 2 on metformin only and my doctor had said I did not need to test regularly so I did not. The blood glucose was then tested and it was over 30. However, the doctors did say that was not classed as a medical emergency so 999 would not have been appropriate, though 111 would. 2 weeks later I was seen by the diabetes centre and put on insulin and it has mostly stayed between 4 and 7 depending on what I eat.
I think you need to check with your Dads doctor what would be classed as high and what as dangerously high.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
We all differ. I would agree with contacting NHS 24 on 111 for advice in a given situation unless someone is unconscious or struggling to stay awake (in which case, I would suspect low blood sugar and a hypo to be much more likely unless a meter reading says the opposite). In short, you should err on the side of caution and call 111 for help if unsure.