Blood sugars and illness

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First time being ill since diagnosed. I have a chest infection and am on amoxycillin. Blood sugars are creeping up on the morning reading. I presume this is normal? What are other peoples experiences?

Cheers Matt

D

Deleted Account

It is very normal for BG to creep up when ill.

There are many things which affect BG including food, alcohol, time of day, year, month, weather, stress, illness, exercise, drugs, ...
When we are ill, our livers release sugar to help fight the bugs. For someone without diabetes, they will produce more insulin to convert this sugar into bug-fighting energy. When we have diabetes this is not so easy.

As I have type 1, I treat my high BG with extra insulin. When I am ill, I test more often and adjust my insulin dose accordingly. It is not unusual for me to need 40% more insulin when I am feeling poorly.

I hope you are feeling better soon. In the meantime, look after yourself and don't get too stressed.

Reactions: Bigbassett_

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been fighting some sort of cold/throat virus for nearly a week - feel OK and still battling on at work etc - but BS has definitely crept up. My average is now 7mmol per day when it had been about 6.5.... I'm just trying to wait it out until I feel better - and make sure that my BS goes back down again.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it happens, and things like pain and stress will generally cause similar beyond our control (and generally temporary) rises too. It's an infuriating something we just have to live with at times... :banghead:

So keep calm and get well soon!

Robbity