Blood sugars too high and not going down

bluealex71

My partner has Type 1. His blood sugars are currently about 28 - he took a reading about an hour ago and was 32, so he took 10 units then 40 minutes ago he did another reading and was 31, so he gave himself 10 units of novarapid, then 20 minutes ago he was 28 so he has now just taken another 5 units. I am concerned he may have DKA - he has been drinking a lot and urinating a lot. Any advice please?

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

Has he tested his ketones, either with urine test strips or preferably blood ketone strips if he has a meter that does that? That is the only real way to be sure if he is in danger from DKA. Is he feeling nauseous, have stomach pains, a bad headache, 'fruity' breath or deep, sighing breathing? All of these are signs of developing DKA. (There are others).

If not, then it may be that you need to give time for his insulin to catch up with his BG. He has had 25 units in the last hour which is a hefty whack. Don't know what insulin he's on, but Novorapid (a fast acting insulin) normally peaks in about 2 hrs we have been told, so if he seems well, then maybe give it another hour, and then if no improvement in his BGs or he starts feeling worse, get medical advice asap.
Hope this helps.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
25 units is a lot. Hope your partner wont have any bad hypo tonight. check if it doesnt go too low.
I often have very high readings when im not well. Maybe thats the problem here?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
25 units is a huge amount to give.

Change the needle, change the insulin before doing anymore injections...

If not dropping substantially after 3-4 hours seek medical help. Can you test for ketones? I wouldnt advise inkecting anymore until 4 hours have passed since the big 10 correction injection. I'm more worried that he is going to go hypo...

Keep drinking water or sugar free juice.

iHs

Hi

The higher bg level goes, the more, insulin is needed to bring bg level back to being ok again. Sometimes really high bg appears to be a bit resistant to insulin and a normal correction doesnt appear to work quick enough. Thing to do now is to wait for the extra insulin to finally get working so dont do anymore corrections for another 3-4hrs but keep bg testing every hour and eat some carb if need be, to mop up the excess insulin so that it doesn't cause a hypo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@vic hill, this thread is 2 years old and the OP hasn't been back to the forum since then.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
thank you did not pick that up but you never know somebody else may spot it
has a friend who's blood sugars were that hi in hospital that day and then sad he passed on
carry on the good work vic

Absolutely, its all good advice Vic :)