Blood sugars up looking for answers

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just come back from the doctors with my latest blood results, which are worse than I feared.

The doctor has been trying me on different statins to help lower my cholesterol, which was as high. I seem to have issues with them causing side affects, so the latest one pravastatin seems to lower my cholesterol a little but from what I can see it is increasing my blood sugar levels.
In fact based on the results I have had this week, that would bare this out. My previous HB1AC reading was 51 where now this is 58.

The doctor doesn't seem to accept that it's the statin, so I thought I would ask if anyone else has had similar affect.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I read somewhere that statins can increase risk of diabetes, so what you're saying is plausible. Personally, I don't touch the things, and I don't worry about my cholesterol. People who low carb often find that their cholesterol levels improve without the need for drugs.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get a blood glucose meter to check what foods spike your blood sugars.

There are other ways of reducing cholesterol levels such as taking supplements with plant sterols. My cholesterol reduced from 6.1 to 4.8 in 3 months using Cholestaguard tables (1 only took one per day) and I also reduced the amount of eggs and cream I was eating.

I refused statins as they can cause Alzheimers or symptoms similar to it. They also can cause severe muscle pain. High blood sugars are far more serious than slightly high cholesterol, so sort out your blood sugar levels first.

Avoid high carb foods such as breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Also avoid fruit juice and fruit such as bananas and grapes. I reduced my HbA1C from 99 to 44 in 6 months with a LCHF diet and intermittent fasting.

S

Sean01

This is possibly more complex than what you might think is a simple link between statin use and blood sugar levels.

Statins reduce your cholesterol, but the important number in managing cholesterol is the ratio between good and bad cholesterol. Cholesterol reading could be improved by consuming more oily fish, nuts, olives avocados etc.

As for the blood glucose readings going up - is it just the statins or have there been other changes - Your Hb1ac reading is a good indicator of the average blood sugar over the last three months. In that last three months has everything been identical - diet, exercise etc etc. I only ask as I recently had a half yearly check up and the three month period included my summer holiday where temptation was rife!! It was tough but I passed. The point I'm making is that in order to confirm the link between statis and blood sugar, you would have to keep everything else identical and then monitor your results over a period of time.

My daily exercise and diet regime is almost identical day in/day out. And on a weekly cycle it is identical (That includes the roast lunch on Sunday) Because of this, if there is a change, it is quite easy to spot the cause. (the occassional roast potato, a heavy cold, stress at work etc)

I hope you find your answers but sometimes, you have to carefully establish the correct question.

Sean

(I take statins, blood pressure meds and met time release. T2 since Oct 15. I exercise daily and eat almost identically every single day. I test blood glucose, blood pressure and other vitals at least daily.)

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sean,

I am really active in terms of exercise, I regularly go to the gym and cycle miles, I eat oily fish like mackeral etc at least twice a week. I have salads and avoid most things like bread that will shove my bloods up. I am going to do exactly that have a diet for the next month that is exactly the same mon to sun and see what happens. I am quiet glad that my doctor is happy to give me as many test strips as I like.

What has made me think it's the statins is that is the only thing that has significantly change. I plan to cut down on the red meat and stick to fish and chicken mostly.

Thanks

Darren

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is actually research that suggests statins could lower the risk of Alzheimers
Sponsored by the manufacturers of said statins perchance?
Anecdotal I know but many years ago (prob about 15) my mother was prescribed statins. I didn't know at the time and didn't find out until after my dad died and I became more responsible (along with my sister) for mothers' care.
Soon after she started taking them she was also diagnosed with Arthritis and early stages of dementia. We all thought she wouldn't last long...
Since my dad's death my sis and I decided that her cholesterol was very low 3 point something so we took the decision to stop the statins.. that was 2 years ago. Now gaga, limping mother is fully compos mentis can go down stairs properly and is still living independently at 91 years old.

Reactions: daisyduck

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am seriously doubting the statins because this is the 4th type I have been given as I have had numerous side effects from the others. And given that my cholesterol isn't moving that much I very much inclined too.

I am going to try altering my diet as well so not eating red meat or as much dairy as well.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv