Blood test shows prediabetes.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello everyone :happy:
I had a blood test last week to test for diabetes (I'm severely obese). Tests came back with a reading of 47 mmol/mol.
Doctor is referring me to the local obesity clinic for help with losing weight, but she didn't mention anything else about the diabetes apart from losing weight will help...

Is that it? Do I need a following blood test or anything? How easily can I tip into 48 mmol/mol? :banghead:

Ballerina

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I had a blood test last week to test for diabetes (I'm severely obese). Tests came back with a reading of 47 mmol/mol.
Doctor is referring me to the local obesity clinic for help with losing weight, but she didn't mention anything else about the diabetes apart from losing weight will help...

Is that it? Do I need a following blood test or anything? How easily can I tip into 48 mmol/mol? :banghead:
Yes,losing weight is often the best thing to reduce your reading of 47. Then another blood test in 3 months time. Lots of good advice on this forum,one size doesn't fit all! I got my numbers down following the lchf diet,but be patient,I had to change a lot of things I ate and recorded a steady weight loss of 1 pound a week. Best of luck and do let us all know how you get on.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If losing weight is difficult - I always found it impossible on the usual advice, then the problem could simply be carbohydrates.
The weight - for me - was not cause but an effect.
When I reduced the amount of carbohydrates I ate my blood glucose levels fell.
I kept my blood glucose levels low and they then began to sink even lower without further effort. After a while - over six months - I have begun to see reduction in my weight.
The last lot of test results before the weightloss were just about normal. I suspect that I had to get my metabolism back to what it ought to be before other things began to correct themselves.
This was a puzzle for my diabetes education team who could not understand why my blood glucose tests were so changed when my weight had only reduced by a few pounds.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @manatee2mermaid and welcome to the forum. I was at 47 for 3 consecutive 12 monthly HbA1c tests - see figures in my signature below. Then I retired, exercised less (I used to walk 3m to work) and ate more as I was at home all day. I put on another 10 lbs in weight and went up to 49 at my next test.
Losing weight brought my HbA1c down to 44 at my 3 month retest, and down further to 39 at my next 12 month HbA1c.
You should try to lose weight as this should also lower your HbA1c.
Many of us on this forum have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has lowered our blood sugar levels and often weight too.
Have a read round the threads to see how this works and ask any questions you want to. The people on here are friendly and supportive.

Reactions: manatee2mermaid

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

47 is right on the brink of diabetes and it is very easy to fall over the threshold. (48 and above is diabetic)

I suggest you obtain a blood glucose meter and do some testing before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. This will tell you exactly how your body has reacted to that food and give you the opportunity to reduce the amount of carbs in that meal or eliminate some totally. This will help you reduce your blood sugar levels.

Diet is the key - to lose weight and also to lower blood glucose levels. The worst food items are bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals and flour. Fruit can also be difficult. Reduce all these and you should lose weight and have improved blood glucose levels.

StevePayne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not flying.....
Good morning,

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic last summer (after being on statins for a few years - they've worked, but that's a different discussion....). After a lot of research (none of which said I could carry on drinking my home-brewed beer at anything like the rate I was....), I decided to use the Low Carb, High Fat diet, and the 5:2 diet - and reduce the homebrew. I've had a couple of blood tests recently, and I'm now slap bang in the middle of the normal range, It does work, once (like me) you decide to do it.

I got, and still get, a lot of advice and encouragement from reading the information in this forum.

So..... Welcome to the forum!

Debbie2401

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, I was diagnosed with prediabetes yesterday. All this is new to me, should get a blood glucose meter if so which one is best xoxo

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bluetit1802 and @AM1874 have details of meters which are popular on the forum because they have good priced test strips which is the expensive part of having testing at home. I would recommend testing.

How were you diagnosed?

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much

Hi, I was diagnosed with prediabetes yesterday. All this is new to me, should get a blood glucose meter if so which one is best xoxo
Hi @manatee2mermaid and @Debbie2401 .. and welcome both
You have certainly made a good move coming here .. since joining this forum the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It's still early for me but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I have tagged @daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It is a top priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 (you don't pay VAT) or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them. Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison Campbell

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@manatee2mermaid

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful to you. Ask questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 245,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi @manatee2mermaid and welcome to the forum. I was at 47 for 3 consecutive 12 monthly HbA1c tests - see figures in my signature below. Then I retired, exercised less (I used to walk 3m to work) and ate more as I was at home all day. I put on another 10 lbs in weight and went up to 49 at my next test.
Losing weight brought my HbA1c down to 44 at my 3 month retest, and down further to 39 at my next 12 month HbA1c.
You should try to lose weight as this should also lower your HbA1c.
Many of us on this forum have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has lowered our blood sugar levels and often weight too.
Have a read round the threads to see how this works and ask any questions you want to. The people on here are friendly and supportive.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
This is true. I have found it very difficult to lose weight for years and no matter how I tried no weight would shift. I have now stopped eating potatoes (Which was my downfall when I ate them because I love potatoes) I have also cut out pasta, rice, bread. I have lowered my intake of root veg,but will have a portion just once a week. I am now starting to lose weight which I am well happy with. I bought a BG monitor and it arrived this morning..I took my blood three times and E-1 reading kept coming up,I tested the meter with the strip checker provided and that was ok, so obviously this meant the strips that came with the meter are defective. I have contacted the seller to send me more strips,so it is a waiting game now. I am hoping that my sugar levels have gone down. I have an appointment with the nurse 12th July but wanted to buy a meter as others have suggested on here. I think that if you do what the others on here advice and that is cutting down on your carbs you will lose weight. You will have to be adventurous in the kitchen though to give yourself a variety of food,but there are plenty of recipes that will help you here. Members have posted some lovely recipe's.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Welcome to the forum @manatee2mermaid . Losing weight will benefit your condition. You will need follow up tests to ensure your bgl's fall to a safer level. 48 is way too high to be complacent. Keep us informed of your progress.

Reactions: derry60 and Prem51

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Welcome to the forum @Debbie2401. A glucose meter will be a valuable tool to assist with your control. Don't let diabetes get the better of you.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Good morning,

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic last summer (after being on statins for a few years - they've worked, but that's a different discussion....). After a lot of research (none of which said I could carry on drinking my home-brewed beer at anything like the rate I was....), I decided to use the Low Carb, High Fat diet, and the 5:2 diet - and reduce the homebrew. I've had a couple of blood tests recently, and I'm now slap bang in the middle of the normal range, It does work, once (like me) you decide to do it.

I got, and still get, a lot of advice and encouragement from reading the information in this forum.

So..... Welcome to the forum!
Way to go @Steve Payne!! Party hard!!!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This was a puzzle for my diabetes education team who could not understand why my blood glucose tests were so changed when my weight had only reduced by a few pounds.

This can be when you convert fat into muscle, or when you start eating low curb but are eating a lot of fat or pertain, so not losing weight. Given that it very hard to lose weight until your insulin level return to normal and that will not happen until your BG is near normal, I expect it could be common for people to get their BG under control before losing weight if using low curb without trying very hard to lose weight.

Reactions: Prem51

linnylinny

I eat lots but all protein and veggies and healthy fats, no high carbs, don't focus on the weight just eat for health.
18157678_259309594532103_7557973041947120665_n.jpg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for all the information everyone :happy:
I've been testing my bg on my new little monitor over the last few days. It's quite hard to get the timings right as I'm a bit of a grazer.
I really love carbs. If it's not white toast for breakfast, it's a fruit smoothie. Lunch is normally bread based so a wrap or sandwich, Tea would be pasta or potato based :meh:
LCHF scares me to because I don't have a gallbaldder fat really doesn't agree with me (I'm sure you've seen the warnings for people not to take Orlistat if doing LCHF :wideyed:)

I have an appointment at the local diabetes centre in regards to getting some weightloss help so hopefully they can give some more info on making sure I don't cross the line to diabetic :nailbiting:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - the good news is that with so many carbs per day as you have been eating/drinking, changing to a lower carb diet is going to have a big impact - and it will probably perk up your metabolism no end.
I have omelettes quite frequently - with mushrooms or sweet pepper, or cheese and finely sliced tomato as it will keep me going right through until dinner in the evening. I have coffee with cream and a bit of chocolate in between. I like to put a small pinch of cinnamon in the coffee, and in hot weather a tiny sprinkle of salt.
I have meat or fish at dinner time, along with all sorts of veges, and berries and cream afterwards, or if it is blisteringly hot, a big salad rather than anything hot.
It really is a good way to eat and I feel that I can eat this way for the rest of my life. I abandoned it on medical advice, and less than two years later was a fully fledged diabetic - I shan't do that again.

Reactions: manatee2mermaid

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a test due to infection and I was very obese test came back at 52 and 6.5 fasting, due to infection and fasting being pre-diabetic doctor had to test again in 3 months. I searched all books and documents and doctors on reversing insulin resistance... and started my quest to not be diagnosed. First thing was getting a glucose meter, and was shocked at seeing fasting hitting high 6s and even 7s and after meals hitting 10s and 11s even a 12.

So with rapid weight loss(42kg) via diet and HIIT exercise my next test came back 38 then 34, and these days even lower with fasting results constantly in the 4s and after meals in the 5s or 6s if very high carb, like today 4.5 fasting and after meal 5.5.

You would be shocked seeing the shape I was in only being able to do 1-2 press-ups and maybe 3 squats at best( with pain in my legs) and now doing 150 without breaking a sweat. It’s a real life changer... don’t look for a magic pill from your doctor, as it’s a life style change that’s needed.

It takes time, determination, and self sacrifice, and for me pain( I suffer from EB, and must say I when through hell but I was determined nothing would stop me from reaching my goal) but well worthwhile. It just proves it’s possible and many others on this forum have done the same.

Let nothing stop you from doing the same. I wish you all the best! And this forum will let certainly help you.

Great testimonial. Impressive, well done to you. Love your quote time, determination and sacrifice. All so true!

Reactions: Prem51