Bodybuilding with Type-1

Pearsall85

Hey all Im a newly diagnosed Type-1, Ive been into going to the gym for a good few years and was making good progress then over the diagnosis period I lost just over 1 1/2 stone which Im keen to put back on. Im really looking for users experience with controlling their diabetes around bodybuilding.

Stu.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I eat more than usual I inject more insulin. If I don't use the energy generated by the extra food then the excess energy will be stored in the cells. This means I put on weight in the form of fat. So logically I could use the excess energy to build muscle.

Pearsall85

Had a look at the runsweet site, the body building bit was quite helpful although he doesn't really go into detail about readings before and after training and how he alters his insulin after training. Thats the sort of advice I'm looking for at the moment.

Stu.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry about that Stu, keep asking away and hopefully other type 1 Bodybuilders may see your posts.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Stu,
I play rugby so do weights about 3 times per week. I'm not massive, 14st and 6 foot. I find for weights I will need 1 unit of insulin, whereas for cardio I will have sugar.

The only way to find out is to experiment. Do what you normally do but test before and after each session and you will soon figure out what your body needs.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No probs, my diet is low carb so dont eat cereals, pasta, bread, rice etc. So instead I have a lot of protein and natural fat. Here's what im eating at the moment:

Pre-gym: nutrisport protein shake. Its low carb compared to a lot of shakes.
Breakfast: mackerel on almond flour bread
Mid-morning snack: 50g mixed nuts
Lunch: Garden salad with 1 chicken breast
Dinner: 3 lamb chops and a mound of kale and green beans.

I forgot to say when I do a decent cardio session and have meal after I'll drop my short acting insulin by 1 unit and will need to drop my long acting insulin by 2 units. The affects of cardio normally last for 48 hours because your body produces hormones that makes you cells more absorbent. So after that 48 hours I'll put my long acting back up by 2 units. You dont have to faff around with insulin after a weights session though.

Hope that helps!

sw11bloke

Hi Stu
I am a type 1 diabetic and am into weight training. I too lost alot of weight and muscle and through trial and error am only starting to put weight back on now. I learned that the only way I can maintain and build muscle is by keeping my BG under 12 at all times. I find this really hard especially after eating a decent sized meal. I am now cutting down my carbs completely and eating more protein. I try not eat more than 30-40 grams Carbs with each meal. Unfortunately i find the longer i have diabetes, the harder it is to control.
Do you take protein shakes? Do you find that even if you take a protein only shake, you blood glucose shoots up and if you take a shake which has carbs, & you take insulin to cover the carb ratio on the tub....you go hypo or hyper?

Id be interested to hear about your BG control. Whats your age, weight, how much basal do you take? whats your carb ratio and what is your HB? Do you split your basal?

The secret lies in the basal. You have to get your basal 100% before you start noticing growth. Im working on mine and keeping a very detailed diary. Do u?

Derrick

Bodybuilder type1

Pearsall85 said:
Hey all Im a newly diagnosed Type-1, Ive been into going to the gym for a good few years and was making good progress then over the diagnosis period I lost just over 1 1/2 stone which Im keen to put back on. Im really looking for users experience with controlling their diabetes around bodybuilding.

Stu.
Hay wats up man if u have any specific questions on bodybuilding with type 1 naturally ill share some info been bodybuilding for 6 years flat out and diabetic since I was 11

Pearsall85

Bodybuilder type1 said:
Pearsall85 said:

Stu.
Hay wats up man if u have any specific questions on bodybuilding with type 1 naturally ill share some info been bodybuilding for 6 years flat out and diabetic since I was 11

Cheers, sent you a pm.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Bodybuilder, you have to have posted 5 times to be able to read/send PMs. So get writing :lol:

GlazedDoughnuts

Hey guys,

would it be worth starting another thread, or simply continuing from here onwards on what we find works/doesnt work/critique each other methods/etc?

:D

Pearsall85

Hey, yeah well I tried eating around 80 - 100 carbs in 3 main meals a day but found I was getting too many late spikes so now after chatting to a couple of people on here I'm cutting my meals down to about 50 carbs except my post work out meal which I'm going to up to around 120 - 150 carbs and see how I get on with that.

Stu.

Bodybuilder type1

Pearsall85 said:
Hey, yeah well I tried eating around 80 - 100 carbs in 3 main meals a day but found I was getting too many late spikes so now after chatting to a couple of people on here I'm cutting my meals down to about 50 carbs except my post work out meal which I'm going to up to around 120 - 150 carbs and see how I get on with that.

Stu.

So how's it working out since I was last talking to you ?
Another thing is its best to eat every 3 hours if you can this speeds up your metabolism cutting fat and gaining muscle
People often have the notion that its best to gain fat then go gym And make muscle out of it but the truth is fat is fat muscle is muscle fat will not turn to muscle ,in the bodybuilding world there is the bulking phase where they eat so many calories that they get fat as well as gaining muscle then cut the fat .this is just to make sure there getting in enough calories but most bodybuilders are changing over to the lean way of life more and not rely having a off season and becoming just like uz diabetics and watching every bit of food they eat like flex luais ,Kia green phill heat ect

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Fcooper

I am very interested in this post.

I'm 23 and have been a type 1 since I was 5. I started weight training almost a year ago but admittedly never checked my blood glucose. I have only started watching my blood glucose levels over the past couple of weeks.

Earlier today I checked my BG before I went in the gym at 2.20pm at it was 24.5! For some reason it had been rising since I got up.

Then I tested it again at 4.30pm and it was 5.1 and I didn't even get to finish my workout.

Yesterday I went in the gym at 1.20pm and my BG was 14.8 before I started, then at 4.30 after I'd finished it had dropped to 3.9!

I'd just like to know how diabetic bodybuilders manage to do it.

How do they do their intense workouts without having hypos? What are their BG readings before and after their workouts? What do they eat before and after their workouts to stop their BG levels from rising or falling too much?

I really want to get serious about lifting weights which is why I'm interested in this post and asking these questions so any help and tips will be appreciated.

Thanks guys!