Book Corner.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can recommend Alone in Berlin, by Hans Fallada. About a couple independently carrying out activities of resistance to Nazi party.

Our library did have this - in fact 25 copies. I've reserved it so looking forward to reading it

Reactions: Pipp

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone read any of the Peter James series about a cop called Roy Grace?

Just wondered if anyone had any viewpoints. I've read them all (up to date) and wondered if anyone else felt some were better than others, some were a bit 'samey' and others were a darn good read

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone read any of the Peter James series about a cop called Roy Grace?

Just wondered if anyone had any viewpoints. I've read them all (up to date) and wondered if anyone else felt some were better than others, some were a bit 'samey' and others were a darn good read

Yes, read them all. It's difficult in a longish series of books like this not to be a little samey, but I genuinely enjoy these. There are ongoing threads (like his 'missing' wife) so PJ has to backtrack in each book to bring new readers up to speed. My sister lives in Brighton so I have a sort of affinity with the locations.
In general there are lot of book 'blurbs' that state, '...when a headless body is found......' Investigative detective novels are age old, tried and tested, so it's not easy to come up with anything truly original - most don't! But there are some crackers. In my opinion the best ones rely on strong characters. Roy Grace is one, Harry Bosch is another, as is Rebus. They are all slightly anti-establishment and flawed.
I've just finished, 'Eyes of a Child' by Richard North Patterson which was really good.
I've had a go too....... http://abargeatlarge.co.uk/

Reactions: wolfie11969

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, read them all. It's difficult in a longish series of books like this not to be a little samey, but I genuinely enjoy these. There are ongoing threads (like his 'missing' wife) so PJ has to backtrack in each book to bring new readers up to speed. My sister lives in Brighton so I have a sort of affinity with the locations.
In general there are lot of book 'blurbs' that state, '...when a headless body is found......' Investigative detective novels are age old, tried and tested, so it's not easy to come up with anything truly original - most don't! But there are some crackers. In my opinion the best ones rely on strong characters. Roy Grace is one, Harry Bosch is another, as is Rebus. They are all slightly anti-establishment and flawed.
I've just finished, 'Eyes of a Child' by Richard North Patterson which was really good.

I understand repetition for those who may have picked up a book out of sequence.

I've just read the latest one and I was a bit disappointed but looking forward to the next (if that makes sense)

My boss introduced me to them a good many years back. I thank her for it because it was something out of my comfort zone (I usually read books focused around history)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just Angela Marsden series of det. Kim Stone murder mysteries.
Really impressed.
Six books so far!

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Really glad I found this thread, reading is the reason I went low.carb!
Has anyone tried the Matthew Bartholomew books by Susannah Gregory? They are mediaeval who dunnits and very good.
I am always looking for suggestions and am going to try a couple already recommended.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really glad I found this thread, reading is the reason I went low.carb!
Has anyone tried the Matthew Bartholomew books by Susannah Gregory? They are mediaeval who dunnits and very good.
I am always looking for suggestions and am going to try a couple already recommended.

I like this thread too as you can read books you would have just passed over. I must admit I'm re-reading a Lucinda Riley series as there is a new book due out in November

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now reading a Perfect Heritage by Penny Vincenzi. I have another couple of books to collect from the library so I'm sure there will be a visit there this week :).

Hubby re-reading Pillars of the earth by Ken Follett and has just got the Bruce Dickinson autobiography/biography (whichever way it goes)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been too busy, but going to put some orders in at the library and get back on it.

Reactions: wolfie11969
C

chris lowe

Earlier today I read the introduction to Malcolm Kendrick's 'The Great Cholesterol Con'. Not a lot of books make me laugh out loud but this did.

Speaking of history and of laughing out loud, the most entertaining and laugh a minute history book I ever read was called '1000 Years of Annoying the French' the author of which escapes me for the moment but I would highly recommend it. One caveat, the follow on book is not worth a carrot, don't bother.

C

chris lowe

About halfway through C J Samson book ( he of the Shardlake books) called Dominion. Rather scary story of what happens inEngland after Germans won the war. Quite gripping story.

Bill_Tanner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If anybody on goodreads you can add me me to see my choice in books

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I finally got copy of Alone in Berlin from the library yesterday. Enjoyed the first few pages, left me wanting to read more but I ran out of lunch break :meh:

Reactions: Pipp

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Excellent book & the recent tv series was pretty faithful to the story. The only other book I've read by her is Hagseed which is a take/twist on Shakespeare's The Tempest. Quite enjoyed it,

I can recommend all of her books - great woman. I really liked The Robber Bride.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby re-reading Pillars of the earth by Ken Follett and has just got the Bruce Dickinson autobiography/biography (whichever way it goes)

I worked in the Publishing Industry for many years and, in my experience, most celebrity "Autobiographies" are ghost-written. However, Bruce Dickinson has also written two comic novels (and, unusually, he really did write them, unlike many celebrity novels) so my guess is that this is a bona fide autobiography.....

He's a talented guy: he has fenced to an international level (fighting with swords, not disposal of stolen goods :)), is a commercial jet pilot and aviation entrepreneur and I believe he's also a singer in a band :D

Reactions: heh

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I worked in the Publishing Industry for many years and, in my experience, most celebrity "Autobiographies" are ghost-written. However, Bruce Dickinson has also written two comic novels (and, unusually, he really did write them, unlike many celebrity novels) so my guess is that this is a bona fide autobiography.....

He's a talented guy: he has fenced to an international level (fighting with swords, not disposal of stolen goods :)), is a commercial jet pilot and aviation entrepreneur and I believe he's also a singer in a band :D

Hubby wasnt too impressed with the Bruce Dickinson book. Said it was too dumbed down and not enough drama in it. I think hubby wanted it to be sex, drugs and rock and roll and all he got was meh

And yes knew the other interests of the man, hubby a big Iron Maiden fan and has slowly tried to convert me

Reactions: jay hay-char

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm now reading Last Secret of the Deverills. Has been a trilogy of books about the Deverill family so looking forward to reading this one.

I also have The Tiger's Prey by Wilbur Smith (read all his others thought I'd read this one too). He writes about Africa so has been interesting reading those.

And I have a book called Secrets by Lesley Pearse to read. Again to complete reading all her books.

Have a few books on order at the library but they are taking a while to come in. Have just ordered The Pearl Sister by Lucinda Riley as it is the continuation of a set of books I have also been reading.

Hoping my optician appointment next week give me new specs cus I'm having trouble reading some of the typeface with my readers on

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I Can sort of identify with the central character in this book. :hilarious::hilarious::angelic:

With the exception of the cheating husband. The book was a present from my significant other. Maybe he saw the likeness too, but I don't dare to ask.

Copied from good reads app...

Britt-Marie can’t stand mess. A disorganized cutlery drawer ranks high on her list of unforgivable sins. She is not one to judge others—no matter how ill-mannered, unkempt, or morally suspect they might be. It’s just that sometimes people interpret her helpful suggestions as criticisms, which is certainly not her intention. But hidden inside the socially awkward, fussy busybody is a woman who has more imagination, bigger dreams, and a warmer heart that anyone around her realizes.

When Britt-Marie walks out on her cheating husband and has to fend for herself in the miserable backwater town of Borg—of which the kindest thing one can say is that it has a road going through it—she finds work as the caretaker of a soon-to-be demolished recreation center. The fastidious Britt-Marie soon finds herself being drawn into the daily doings of her fellow citizens, an odd assortment of miscreants, drunkards, layabouts. Most alarming of all, she’s given the impossible task of leading the supremely untalented children’s soccer team to victory. In this small town of misfits, can Britt-Marie find a place where she truly belongs?

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a real bookworm. Recently I put another book to my collection. The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman. I found it on ABTorrents tracker. It's magical! Seriously, I loved this book. As always, Hoffman's lyrical prose draws sharp pictures in your mind, whether it is the lush herbal gardens, crow familiars, or the crashing noise of New York. You inhabit their spaces with them and now i've put the book down, I miss them already. Recommend everyone to read!
the-rules-of-magic-9781501137471_hr.jpg

Last edited:

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read quite a few of the Roy Grace books too, and the Tom Thorne series. Slightly different from the world-weary flawed 'tec are the Cooper & Fry books by Stephen Booth, about 16 of them, and well worth a read. These are set in the Peak District and he conjures up the bleakness and beauty of the area well. I recently attended a talk by him and he asked this question of the audience: "put up your hand if you honestly feel you could never murder someone." Out of around 30 only two put their hands up (me not being one!). Apparently only one or two hands is the norm. Makes you think.....