borderline ?

lyndarling

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was told last wednesday that I am borderline diabetic, but I was just given a leaflet and told to follow the diet in it , and I would be seen again in 6 months time, that was it ! I am so confused.

999sugarbabe

Hi lyndarling,
I was told (about 5 years ago) I was borderline diabetic. I didn't go to the doctor's again until a short while ago, nor did I take much notice at the time.
I had to visit the doctor recently with another problem and thought, whilst I was there, I'd mention how I was feeling.
I've ended up being diagnosed with diabetes (type 2), high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high blood sugar (amongst other things).
I think what the doctor is telling you is, to perhaps modify what you consume and take more care with your general lifestyle, exercise and eat healthily.... and you might not become a diabetic.
I wish now that I had taken more notice 5 years ago.
There are no guarrantees in life, but hopefully, if you follow a more proactive lifestyle you can avoid becoming diabetic.
Good luck.

Katharine

If you are overweight it would really help to normalise this. Interval training is the best way to reduce body fat and resistance training improves insulin sensitivity.

A reduced carb diet will give your pancreas less work to to and should give you a much better chance of preventing or delaying the onset of diabetes compared to the standard high carb/low fat diet as advocated by the NHS for just about everything.

lyndarling

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
thanks, I`m trying to lose weight and do more excercise, but I`ve read that borderline diabetes is a serious condition, so I`m still not sure about this.
Yes, the booket the nurse gave me advised high amounts of carbs, so it is confusing !
I will try to stick to lower carbs from now on

Katharine

The thing about "borderline diabetes" probably means that you have what is also called, pre-diabetes (USA) or impaired glucose tolerance. (UK)

The serious thing is that you have higher chances of getting vascular complications than someone with truly normal pancreatic function. The good thing is that you now know a bit about it while your pancreas is still able to work pretty well. If you can normalise your weight, blood sugars and blood pressure - and there is no reason to think that you won't manage to do this - your risk can be no higher than anyone elses.

Okay, your lifestyle is going to change quite a bit!

I hope we can help you with your plans.