BP meds taken at night could help DP?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been reading that taking BP meds at night vs the morning could help dean phenomenon.

Any experiences or thoughts?

Makes sense....sort of

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't have any bp tablets which are needed at night but my 70yr old mum does. However she isn't diabetic but has none alcoholic fatty liver.
My mum takes a lot of meds like me.
I have tested her on my meter before breakfast and showed 5s. Remember thou, she isn't diabetic.

I personally haven't heard anyone I know on evening bp meds to benefit their diabetes. But that doesn't mean much.

I too woukd be interested to hear if any benefit to dp.
I know some of my mum's meds have to be with food.

Now I definitely know fatty protein before bed helps dp!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any bp tablets which are needed at night but my 70yr old mum does. However she isn't diabetic but has none alcoholic fatty liver.
My mum takes a lot of meds like me.
I have tested her on my meter before breakfast and showed 5s. Remember thou, she isn't diabetic.

I personally haven't heard anyone I know on evening bp meds to benefit their diabetes. But that doesn't mean much.

I too woukd be interested to hear if any benefit to dp.
I know some of my mum's meds have to be with food.

Now I definitely know fatty protein before bed helps dp!
What fatty protein are you eating to help DP? A spoonful of avocado seems to stop my drop ( was dropping too low) and staying steady now until 4:30 but then getting a huge spike at fasting.

I think it's the wine taking me out of ketosis. Might try a small bolus after 4:30 to see if it stops the rise. I'd rather do that than give up the wine. Haha

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I take 3 BP meds -- 1 in the morning and 2 at night.
my DP has not been affected to my knowledge by my dose timings ( I am on a pump )

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Kristin251 your bolus will work but it may add to IR.
Anyone low carbing can use a fatty protein before bed to steady dp.
Avocado is a fatty carb or fatty protein?

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 your bolus will work but it may add to IR.
Anyone low carbing can use a fatty protein before bed to steady dp.
Avocado is a fatty carb or fatty protein?
Mostly fat and fiber. Tried both cheese and boiled egg with mayo to no avail. Tried nuts too.
I take about 6 units total ( basal and bolus) a day and I eat 4 meals and snacks. I'm not sure I can get overly IR with that and it would only be 1/2 unit.

Thoughts?

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take some BP meds at night and some morning. My Doctor was telling me of some recent evidence they are more effective at night. I have mild DP so maybe those meds help with this?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
On another diabetic forum. Which I very rarely go to but sometimes things happen for a reason!

You can never say never, if it works for the individual involved then all is good.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My palpatations are back, it started at the weekend and blood pressure on tuesday at consultants session it was 153/110. Just received my letter via copy to gp.
I might end up with a night tablet, not sure. I take perindopril, furosemide and 5mg Bisoprolol already. I was only taking perindopril last year. This year's achievements haven't included less tablets. More's the pity.

lindisfel

Expert
My palpatations are back, it started at the weekend and blood pressure on tuesday at consultants session it was 153/110. Just received my letter via copy to gp.
I might end up with a night tablet, not sure. I take perindopril, furosemide and 5mg Bisoprolol already. I was only taking perindopril last year. This year's achievements haven't included less tablets. More's the pity.
Hi Ickihun, Your bp will no doubt drop after your bariatric surgery. If you have problems with your heart a simple water tablet, I assume taken in a morning, like furosemide that causes loss of potassium and sodium is probably not the best option. Heart irregularity has often been tied to low potassium. Many are prescribed spironolactone because it retains potassium on water loss and the heart is protected. regards Derek

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree derek but potassium levels good. Checked regularly by bariatric department as dieters prone to low levels as diet gets restricted. Im on good supplements too and levels are deemed good.
I think im getting sodium build-up as day progresses but not sure where from as diet is simple and natural. I sweat from pain and palpatations so im guessing body trying to reject sodium. Painkillers should be a problem, nor metformin or fat rejection pill.
Great on a morning but as day progresses (I do more activity) im struggling. GP at appointment this morning has asked me to pace my activity. Not loads then rest. I have 2 young kids and a house to keep safe and hygienic. Not forgetting my own needs.
Fingers crossed no chest pains. This pressure on my heart isnt good.

lindisfel

Expert
I agree derek but potassium levels good. Checked regularly by bariatric department as dieters prone to low levels as diet gets restricted. Im on good supplements too and levels are deemed good.
I think im getting sodium build-up as day progresses but not sure where from as diet is simple and natural. I sweat from pain and palpatations so im guessing body trying to reject sodium. Painkillers should be a problem, nor metformin or fat rejection pill.
Great on a morning but as day progresses (I do more activity) im struggling. GP at appointment this morning has asked me to pace my activity. Not loads then rest. I have 2 young kids and a house to keep safe and hygienic. Not forgetting my own needs.
Fingers crossed no chest pains. This pressure on my heart isnt good.
Your too young to have all these problems, children need a lot of attention, given time the surgery should give you a new life experience. Best wishes Derek

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So no additional blood pressure tablet to take whether morning or evening. Thank god.
@Kristin251 i wont be changing my bp tablet timings. Scary at mo so I wont even ask to change timings either.
Feel like palpatations but pulse was 78 at docs so safe levels at 140/80 at gp practice so im more than happy. GP was happy too.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been doing some more research on this and I believe I will be taking it before bed now. From what I've been reading it makes sense and may help with the cortisol and adrenaline rush we get when waking.

It it suggests that if you take more than one BP med at least one should be taken before bed.

I just googled best time to take BP meds.

It would be nice if it helped DP too!

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-09-blood-pressure-drugs-bedtime-lowers.html

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Update:

Last night I took my losartan before bed
Bed 74
2:00 74
5:30 74
7:20 upon rising 77

Too soon to tell but this hasn't happened before. And on top of it I think I have an abscesses tooth so I would think it would have been worse.

Typically going to bed at 74 I would have been closer to 100 waking.

I was hypoing during the night for a few days so I started a spoonful of avocado before bed and haven't hypod since. Could be coincidence but that's why I'm testing during the night. I think I can stop that now.