Brain fog

chappers123

Hi I am type 1 have been for ten years. I have experienced what I can describe as brain fog for over a year now, i have good but mainly bad days. I follow a healthy diet and have been to the doctors many times but just get turned away with its stress, could be a virus go for a blood test. I have searched the net and come across brain fog which describes exactly how I feel. I have seen that it could be I need to follow a gluten free diet or reduce cholesterol

Does anyone else get this and can you give me some tips? I'm so down with feeling ill and starting to get depressed

Please help

Thanks,

Chappers

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi chappers.
May I ask which insulin you are currently using?
Only when I was on levemir insulin I did feel drugged up, heavy headed, and brain fogged!
Since switching to animal porcine insulin I am clear and free of all of these.
My DSN did say insulin is very much an indidual thing with each patient/person.
What affects one person - is fine with another !!!
I did research heavily, trowlled days/hours over various insulin before making my own
choice and decision to try the switch to an animal insulin.
The switch thankfully to an animal insulin has transpired as the 'right' one for me...
Hope this helps?
Anna.

chappers123

Hi Anna,
Thanks for you're reply.

I am on humalog 100 fast acting with three meals a day and then Lantis for a 24hr dosage. I have never really looked into the insulin so thanks for the heads up. It's just a massive thing changing after 10 years but I am willing to try anything as this log head feeling is awful and effecting my work and social life.

Thanks,

Chappers

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Are you taking a statin? They can do it with some people. Google "spacedoc.net".

Viv 8)

oconnorbp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
chappers123 said:
Hi I am type 1 have been for ten years. I have experienced what I can describe as brain fog for over a year now, i have good but mainly bad days. I follow a healthy diet and have been to the doctors many times but just get turned away with its stress, could be a virus go for a blood test. I have searched the net and come across brain fog which describes exactly how I feel. I have seen that it could be I need to follow a gluten free diet or reduce cholesterol

Does anyone else get this and can you give me some tips? I'm so down with feeling ill and starting to get depressed

Please help

Thanks,

Chappers

Lantus glargine can cause a problem like you have experienced, I know I was like that until I went back to animal insulin. Try IDDT website as well as diabetes.co.uk for options and people who have suffered a problem like yours. I've had type1 for forty years come jan. It's not nice when you feel like this.

Reactions: chappers123

Virgo123

Is this thread a bit stale?

Nevertheless, I would agree with Viviennem. When I was on simvastatin, it not only slowed me down, but I had the fog.
As soon as I stopped taking it, it lifted almost immediately and I could feel another lift some 3 months later.
I will not use another statin.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I note you use Humalog. I changed to porcine insulin from Humalog, and one resaon was the awful brain fog. I felt almost drugged. It was horrible. I feel a lot better on the porcine, both mentally and physically. I blame the Humalog as I'd been on regular human insulin (Actrapid) before a number of years ago and never had such problems. I feel more like me now on the porcine.