Bread

lgadsden

:? I am currently taking 28 units of insulin twice a day. My problem is that I love bread, noting all the comments on low carbs and how goos it is for your levels is ther any nice bread that I can eat ?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You can eat any bread, It just matters how much.
You need to test before eating and 1 and then 2 hours after. If after 2 hours, your Blood Glucose is back to the start level, It's Ok.
You mightr try with half a slice from a small loaf and see how that goes. If it doesn't suit you, the birds will appreciate the rest of it in this cold weather. Nimble bread has a lower carb count per slice( but not necessarily by weight.) than normal white bread. Some people can eat the Burgen loaf.
I personally don't even try with bread any more, but just eat the odd cracker. What you can't eat, without consequences, is several slices of any bread.
You could buy low carb bread from "The Low Carb Megastore" or "Avidlite" Both are fairly pricey.
I decided a while ago, that if I'm to maintain "normal" blood glucose, I must give up these foods almost totally.
I did have a dessertspoonful size piece of someone's birthday cake with my coffee this morning. I wouldn't think of having a slice. I had the little bits left at the middle after it was sliced.
I've decided tit's not worthstraying too far. It takes so long to get back.
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I agree with Hana 100% and I couldn't touch it with a barge pole at present. Best thing to do is test so that you know exactly what it does to you. Everything has a price! :roll:

neededthat

hi i too like my bread i couldn't do the low carb diet i did try for a few days but not for me i have cut back my carb intake to around 80 to 120g aday which for me seems ok, i have tried verious different bread type things, one i do like is dutch crisp breads with soft cheese and i only eat wholemeal bread (although i havn't seen any difference between white or wholemeal but it makes me feel a bit better about eating it lol just have to tweek the diet abit everything in moderation my biggest hurdle was sweet stuff love my choccy but hardly have it now but if i fancy abit i'll have some no point in beating yourself up about it and being miserable

lilibet

I find I can have it , but worst time is the morning

Low GI bread like Burgen or Vogels is ok for some
I find that GI hard with fast acting at times so I like

Sainsburys organic seeded - 10g carbs
Weight watchers or Nimble are around 9g carbs

I try not to eat bread beyond 10g or so

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I personally cannot get my head around this carb weighing malarky.

I just try and limit myself to a max of two slices of Hovis per day.

I like Ryvita too and would rather eat 3 or 4 of them than bread anyway.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As lilbet says lower gi bread is less likely to cause large spikes. You also need to watch the portions sizes, many breads that have lower gis are also quite dense. Wholemeal bread per se is no lower on the gi index than white.
The most recent gi news has an article explaining about which types of bread are likely to be lower gi.
There are a number of factors that potentially affect the GI of breads including:

The type of flour (wheat, rye, barley, etc)
The amount of each type of starch in the flour (i.e., ratio of amylose to amylopectin)
The method of milling the flour (i.e., steel vs stone)
The addition of other ingredients (seeds, kibbled grains, dried fruit, sugar, fibre, water, etc)
The fermentation process (yeast and proofing time)
How the bread is cooked
http://ginews.blogspot.com/2010/01/gi-symbol-news-with-dr-alan-barclay_02.html

I find that many of the breads available in the UK supermarkets are very high GI even the Burgen one though 'friendlier' than most is still not as low gi (in me) as many of the breads made where I live in France (not baguette!).
I think that this is because of the industrial manufacturing process used for most supermarket breads. At home, I find sourdough breads, nut breads or breads with a high proportion of other cereals like oats, rye, barley or buckwheat and those with some visible cracked seeds best .
When in the UK I noticed a local baker made mixed cereal bread with flours milled locally. It was claimed to be low gi (I didn't get round to trying it) I wonder if you would do better looking for suitable breads in local bakers. rather than supermarkets.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ardbeg said:
I personally cannot get my head around this carb weighing malarky.

I just try and limit myself to a max of two slices of Hovis per day.

I like Ryvita too and would rather eat 3 or 4 of them than bread anyway.

Jim
It all depends how sensitive you are to carbs ? I have to weigh and measure ALL that I eat because if I eat too many carbs in one go the Bg soars. A couple of slices of my home made bread is around 40g carbs, that's a meal for me MAX !

I usually try and keep it down to one slice then I can put other stuff on it and stay within my levels of no more than say, 30-35 g carbs per meal. 4 light crispbreads is around 15g carbs, so over the day that would have to be taken into account. EVERYTHING has to count for some of us.

Ken