breakfast any good ideas ???

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
ive only just been diagnosed as type 2 ad i still have no ideas for breakfast and im really tired of the same things day in and out i have four things i can eat but they all really effect my bgs and i dont know what else to eat so far i have been eating shredded wheat ( tastes like cardboard)
wheatabix ( i eat this all the time but it makes my bgs really high as with the shredded wheat )
prorridge ( which also makes my bgs high) and toast which i really cant stand so now im out of ideas i need things that are not going to effect my bgs so much as when i eat the above my bgs are still at over 10 for up 2 four hours afterwards which makes me uninclined to eat again even if im hungry because i hate the headeaches that come with high bgs anyone have any ideas??

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Don't forget ,you shouldn't eat grapefruit if you take Simvastatin.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Can't go wrong with the bacon and eggs if you ask me. Amidst all the nonsense we hear about 'superfoods', the humble egg outdoes the lot of them. Zero carbs, great protein and 9 of the 13 known vitamins. Beat that!

If you're short of time, I find sliced deli meats, maybe some green salad, olives, cheese will do the job with minimal impact on blood sugar levels.

I don't know what anyone sees in breakfast cereals frankly.

All the best,

fergus

weepete

Dislikes
injustice
I am struggling with breakfast at the moment, for me it is the best meal of the day.I have had to stop eating porridge lately as it was sending me back to sleep.
I was also shocked at how much sugar there is in Bran flakes, so I have not touched them for years.
the other day I had:
boiled egg
slice of ham
slice of light cheese

My blood sugar was 5.6 after 2 hours.

Anyone care to share their breakfast ideas?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am recently diagnosed (end of Feb.) Type 2 and currently on diet and exercise but not yet testing.

I have been given the standard diet advice of 'healthy eating' with a good portion of carbs with each meal.

The bigger frightener was the information that my heart attack profile was 28% which was about the same as a non-diabetic who had already had a heart attack. Cardiac web sites gave advice such as 4oz of cheddar per week (as opposed to per sandwich).

So I have given up sweets, puddings, sugar in everything, cheese, any meat with fat on including bacon and I feel better and my weight is slowly dropping off (6foot and half an inch tall, was 14 stone 5 now down to 13 stone 7). I was overweight but not obese.

I am also on statins.

However looking at your breakfast recommendations there seems to be cheese and bacon (yum) but a big concern over carbs.

My standard breakfast now is a muesli from Waitrose with dried berries & fruit included, skimmed milk, a chopped apple, a sliced banana, and some fresh berries (raspberries at the moment, blueberries when I can afford them). All topped off with some zero fat plain live yoghurt.

From the guidelines I have been given this seems a reasonable breakfast; is this the kind of thing I should be eating or am I carbing myself to death?

My symptoms seem to have gone away, but i don't know how valid this is.

Cheers

Dave R

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Dave,

The argument that you will hear a lot of on this forum (and is also a hot topic on most other forums that I have seen) is over the "official" dietary guidelines issued by the government's medical advisors that everyone should eat a diet that is far higher in carbohydrate than anything else (the high carb, low protein and very low fat diet).

Even if this was good advice for the general (non-diabetic) public - and that has now been seriously questioned in the US where the original idea came from (see my note at the end!) - a high carbohydrate diet is plainly absurd for a diabetic. Diabetics struggle to control blood sugar levels and what causes blood sugar levels to rise? - Carbohydrates.

Many newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetics rigidly follow the dietary advice they are given by GP/nurse/dietician to follow the high carb route. Then they find their blood sugars climb ever higher, resulting in higher doses of medication, until finally they reach the point where no amount of tablets will help them and they have to go on to insulin injections. Some people will work out for themselves that their diet is not helping them, others get advice from this and similar forums that they are free to follow or not as they see fit. All we can do on here is to point out the facts - which is something you won't see from any official body!

To finish, how on earth did we get into this situation where we are being given mis-advice by those that we are supposed to be able to trust? Quite easy really. The UK has never been strong on scientific research programmes, especially ones that involve nutrition which by their nature require large test groups that need to be closely monitored over long periods of time. This kind of research is enormously expensive and way outside the financial means of our State funded system , so we have always relied on research undertaken by countries with deeper pockets (put another way USA). Whatever they recommend is what we follow suit and also recommend.

That is fine when that research can be relied upon to be (a) accurate, and (b) impartial. Unfortunately too often it isn't. The whole concept of a healthy modern diet was dreamed up by just one eminent, highly charismatic and publicly popular US scientist (think of a cross between Jamie Oliver and David Bellamy!). His proposal was that dietary fat is totally to blame for heart disease. So popular was he that whatever he said just had to be right and was accepted without question. It was the basis of what became the food triangle in the US and a few years later the healthy eating plate in the UK. Unfortunately it has taken more than 30 years in which obesity and diabetes has reached epidemic proportions, and heart disease has gone through the roof, for the US medical authorities to start to question the original findings! Recent research has been undertaken by the most eminent and totally independent research body in the US, and it has shown the original research to be totally (almost criminally) flawed. They found that original research that didn't support the desired outcome was simply ignored as irrelevant! Some "results" were found to be not even the result of research - just a scientist's opinion unbacked by any facts! And the final nail in the coffin of the high carb and low protein diet was that the university in which the research was undertaken was entirely funded by an association of American wheat producers. Was it any surprise that the recommendation was to eat as much bread and pasta as America's growers could produce?

Perhaps the biggest shock to come from the new research was that fat and protein is not the biggest cause of heart disease. It is carbohydrate. The tests proved beyond any doubt whatsoever that those on the highest carb diets have the highest risk of heart attacks, while those on the highest protein diets have the lowest risk. There will of course be those who simply refuse to accept the new findings. Unfortunately "head in sand syndrome" is almost as prevalent as diabetes and obesity, but the only losers will be themselves.

So what now - well in the US the government has taken on board the new research (funded this time by the American Medical Association to avoid any bias). The result of this is a completely new recommendation that a healthy diet should comprise EQUAL measures of carbs and protein, with a slightly lower level of fats. But will the UK ever scrap the current recommendations and follow the US's lead? For them to do so would be an admission that for the last 25 years they didn't know what they were doing and have managed to get it completely wrong. Apart from loss of face (and inevitably votes!) probably the greatest fear is of damages claims from people who have blindly followed the guidelines and become ill as a result. Perhaps one day we will adopt the new US healthy eating philosophy, but probably not until we start to look ridiculous by being the only country in the world to still stand by a completely discredited policy.

If youv'e managed to read right through to the end - well done - I just hope I haven't bored you to death!!)

saffy1

Hi Saffy here.....had awful job getting on again.....im too still struggling with breakfast....but will keep on trying...buttttttttt tried the bread that someone talked about "Burgen soya and linseed"and if i have one slice my bgs are ok.so will try it with cheese to-morrow and see. it tastes good... im ok at weekends when hubby home (he works away through week) as i have bacon eggs and bgs usually 5.4 but on my own cant be bothered....Dennis your message is brill.....thats what happened to me....had cut bread out and was doing ok ...then the nurse told me off...said id to eat plenty bread so i did and my bgs went mad and dr told ME off wasnt looking after myself grrrrrrrrrr.anyway seem to be doing quite well at the moment around 5.4 / 7.5....hope you are all well on here.....Saffy :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Dennis,

thanks for that.

My take on the current advice is to have a good mix of protein and carbohydrate, and cut right down on animal fat and anything with processed sugar. I haven't taken it to be high carbs, low protein, and low fat.

I thought that the idea of eating carbs with every meal was to ensure a slow but steady release of carbs into the bloodstream (much like the sports nutrition advice - don't use Mars bars because you peak then trough with your blood glucose which saps your energy; eat malt loaf because it has a slow and steady release of energy).

However, I am reading with interest all the postings, because the results of personal testing on a daily basis are likely to be more valid than scientific theory.

The issue over fats is also a puzzler - cardiac advice (for diabetics and non-diabetics) as I understand it is to cut down on saturated fat as found in cheese and animal fat in general because these can increase the bad cholesterol in the bloodstream. I haven't picked up much about people living on lard as a way of cutting cholesterol <joke alert> as the focus seems to be on blood glucose. Is there a good cardiac site where this is discusssed as the main topic?

As a footnote, nobody has commented on my breakfast - is it good, bad, suicidal?

Cheers

Dave R

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Dave,

I think the secret of getting good control over your blood sugars is to experiment until you understand what works for you and what doesn't. We are all different and have different reactions to different foods. Your suggestion of a balance of carbs and proteins is probably a good place to start, but try experimenting with the carb foods to see which one have what effect on you. For example try eggs and bacon instead of meusli for a couple of days and measure the levels before and 2 hours after eating - compare this with your levels before and after your normal breakfast. Breakfast is actually a good meal to experiment with because we all tend to eat less variety on a day to day basis than we do with any other meal.

The advice you will get from the heart bodies now differs depending on whether they are American or British. The UK ones still advocate the high carb approach, the US ones recommend a balance between carbs and protein. Each simply follows what their own governments' guidelines are.

As regards your own breakfast:
meusli & milk - generally around 35g carb per serving
dried berries/fruit in the meusli - 21g (per tablespoon)
chopped apple - 12g carb (ave 100g apple)
sliced banana - 23g carb (ave 100g banana)
fresh raspberries - 8g carb (handfull)
Zero fat yoghurt - varies from brand to brand but say average of 28g carb per small carton

Assuming no toast or any other kind of bread, tea, coffee or fruit juice, then your breakfast carbohydrate total looks to be around 127g. Under the now discredited UK guidelines that is about 60% of your recommended daily carb intake so pretty high. Under the new US guidelines that is 75% of your daily allowance, so is very high. One of our regular posters, Rick, is a triathlete so has a very punishing physical schedule of training and competing and, while he has a much higher carb intake than us mere mortals, even he has less than that for breakfast.

Hope that helps.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks guys, for all the advise the only other thing i wanted to ask is whether it is true that fake sweetners such as splender wont touch your blood suger my diabetic nurse told me this and i feel its untrue because i had diet cherry coke the other day which my dietican told me would be fine but i took my bs b4 drank it and it was 6.4 but after a couple of hours i felt headechey and dizzy so i tested again and it was 12.9 and i hadnt eaten anything for ages so i know the changes were due to the diet cherry coke but the diabetic nurse told me that this wasnt the case does anyone else have effects to diet drinks ???

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Angelbite, I would say the sudden surge was entirely due to the diet cherry coke. Yes it does contain artificial sweeteners but these will have absolutely no effect on your blood sugar. However it also contains, amongst some rather nasty other things, high-fructose corn syrup. The form of corn syrup used in soft drinks is called HFCS-55 and is 90% fructose and 10% glucose.

A can of diet cherry coke contains no sugar but still has 28g carbohydrate in the form of HFCS. The HFCS is a monosaccarid (just like sugar is) which means it will have been immediately absorbed into your blood and that is what sent your sugars rocketing! So you were right but it sounds like your diabetes nurse doesn't know very much about soft drinks.

Incidentally, many people try to avoid genetically modified foods, but HFCS-55, which is used in most canned soft drinks, is made almost exclusively from GM corn.