Breakfast ideas

nadine68

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm struggling with breakfast ideas.
I like porridge oats, is that ok ?
I take breakfast to work , we have access to a microwave.
Any ideas are greatfully received xxxx

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bacon, eggs and mushrooms. Full fat yoghurt and a handful of walnuts. Avoid Porridge.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make low carb granola at the weekend and take it to work every day. I use the Rose Elliot recipe which is online.
Also, Lidl high protein rolls make a decent breakie, better toasted.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
eggs scrambled with some veg of your choice and grated cheese. Throw in a container and nuke at work. You can make it the night before. Also good is leftovers from last nights low carb dinner. Breakfast does not have to be traditional breakfast foods.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i currently eat a slice of ham (from the Deli in the supermarket) and a couple of cheese slices, then roll them up together and they're great. I don't get hungry until well after lunch time :)

One of these would be very easy to make at home, wrap up and eat at your convenience :)

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 2 turkey/chicken sausages, plus coffee w almond milk, for breakfast every day.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(On weekends I scramble eggs w veg but no time on weekdays.)

Smelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
360 ml unsweetened almond milk 63g of chia seeds table spoon of cocoa powder if you want chocolate flavour or vanilla extract. I use total sweet to taste whisk it all up and should fill 4 ramekins. Set over night and have whenever

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've found out I can tolerate half a red grapefruit so, when I'm eating breakfast, that is my current favourite.

Sometimes I'll have raspberries with greek yoghurt, eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, a Lidl roll bacon butty and - a real treat this - a visit to a Toby carvery for one of their really lush breakfast all you can eat buffets - just avoid the potato hash, yorkshire puds and toast.

If you need cold breakfast ideas then you could pre-cook some low carb sausages and bacon and make a breakfast type omlette the night before to eat hot or cold - same with crustless quiche.

You never know, you could be one of the lucky ones who can tolerate porridge - do a blood test before eating the porridge then again two hours after - I used to love porridge and muesli but doing that test put me off eating any kind of oat based meal completely.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausage can have as many carbs as porridge, plus some other bad fats

Depends which sausages you buy - Black Farmers, Heck, Tescos Finest, and some of the Lidl and Aldi brands are as little as 3% carbs, and not filled with those nasty veg oils.

I am sure there are lots of other brands out there too - but always check the label. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends which sausages you buy - Black Farmers, Heck, Tescos Finest, and some of the Lidl and Aldi brands are as little as 3% carbs, and not filled with those nasty veg oils.

I am sure there are lots of other brands out there too - but always check the label. :)
also just found M&S do a really nice 97% meat sausage,.. really tasty and they were 2 packs for a fiver. Well worth it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Asda do some nice low carb sausages - OH loves their chipolatas and - luckily - they don't affect my BG at all.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausage can have as many carbs as porridge, plus some other bad fats
However there's such a thing as high percentage (e.g 95%) meat sausages! You just need to read the nutritional information and avoid the starchy stuffed ones.

Robbity

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! My sausages have 1g carb per serving (2 sausages). I also make my own and freeze bunches sometimes--no sweetener, no filler, just meat & spices. (The carb comes from garlic/sundried tomato.)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Think outside the box.

Any low carb meal will be just as useful. I had stir-fry once, whilst waiting for groceries to be delivered.

srinaldi

I suggest yogurt with fresh fruit such as a half apple or pear with cinnamon sprinkled over it. Cottage with chopped fresh tomato and a small handful of almonds or walnuts again with a half a piece of fruit with cinnamon. My favorite is smoked salmon on a low card wrap with chopped tomato, arugula, capers and mustard. I have a small low sodium tomato drink with this as well as the half of fruit. Finally, I will take a third of a cup high fiber cereal, no milk and again the half piece of fruit. Hope this helps.

Steve

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

f28b54b595b3327dbbb5ded33cc56a2e.jpg

I also loved porridge but it didn't like me so I I made this last night!!
Bacon, onion, pepper, cheese, eggs, cream, more cheese, 25 mins oven 200 mmmmmm yummy

Reactions: seanj67 and Snapsy