Breakfast

dudester

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey guys

Not my usual style to jump in with my problems but I want to take this challenge head on. So this has been my first week as a diagnosed type 2. After much initial confusion shock and feeling lost. I have looked at alot of stuff and decided I would jump in with the low carb route.

My issue is ive always been the type to put minimal effort into breakfast, cereal, toast, porrisge done in like 2 mins. But to stay low carb I'm struggling to find simple easy solutions any suggestions? whole meal toast or cereal seem to use more carbs then I'd like I think it would be better if i can spread them more across my lunch and dinner.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Omelette? Only takes a couple of minutes to prepare. Or you could batch prepare crustless quiche or egg muffins, freeze them and heat up as you need them.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Why take half measures? Just ditch the toast and cereal completely and dive straight into LCHF.

Full marks for getting into the low carb route straight away. You will probably find it takes at least 6 months to get your head round what works for you and which bits of advice are sensible at which are not.

I really struggled to change a lifetime of eating habits because things like cereal, toast and marmalade, chips, pasta, pizza and the like have been default choices for decades.

It is worth it to be able to control your Blood Glucose (BG) using diet and exercise but it can be a bit of a shock to the system getting there.

Welcome, and best of luck!

Oh, and get a meter and test, test, test until you understand how your body reacts to food.

dudester

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why take half measures? Just ditch the toast and cereal completely and dive straight into LCHF.

Full marks for getting into the low carb route straight away. You will probably find it takes at least 6 months to get your head round what works for you and which bits of advice are sensible at which are not.

I really struggled to change a lifetime of eating habits because things like cereal, toast and marmalade, chips, pasta, pizza and the like have been default choices for decades.

It is worth it to be able to control your Blood Glucose (BG) using diet and exercise but it can be a bit of a shock to the system getting there.

Welcome, and best of luck!

Oh, and get a meter and test, test, test until you understand how your body reacts to food.

Thanks so far I haven't had too much of an issue possibly due to metformin but I have found my appetite reduced anyway and once i got my fitness pal set up so I can track it I think i have taken to it fairly well. Alot of the week has been trying different things while keeping on a eye how many carbs and trying to not exceed it.

What are these meters people mention?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Blood Glucose monitors.

You prick your finger with an automated lancet, get a small drop of blood, and pick that up with a test strip in a meter. This gives you a reading of your current BG level.

See https://www.myfreestyle.com/freestyle-lite-overview for one example.

Meters are very important to help you understand what your BG level is before and after eating and so tailor what you eat to what your body can handle.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dudester meters are small devices that measure blood sugar levels. They can help,with management of diabetes by giving you information about the effects of what you eat on your blood sugar.

Ideally you should test immediately before a meal and again 2 hours after the first bite. You're aiming for a rise of no more than 2 mmols.

Have a read of this:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood_glucose_monitor_guide.html

Have a read of this:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood_glucose_monitor_guide.html

When buying a meter it's a good idea to check out the cost of the strips as these are the biggest expense. Many people use either the SD Codefree or the Tee2 meters as they have the cheapest strips. Both are available online:

Codefree - https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

You want the one that measures in mmols. There are discount codes for ordering strips in bulk (it's not easy to spot where to put them, so check as you follow the checkout process)

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Tee2 - http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

For either, make sure you check the box to say you are diabetic so that you don't have to pay VAT

I personally use the Codefree and find it easy to use. Have also heard good things about the Tee2 on this site.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried a few different breakfasts over the last 3 or so years, but my meter has told me I cannot cope with any carbs at breakfast or my levels go up and stay up until lunch time. I now skip breakfast apart from a coffee with double cream as soon as I get up (before anything else) and this works for me. Previously I had soft boiled eggs - 5 minutes. Previous to that I had a full fat yogurt with flaxseed mixed in and a couple of strawberries chopped up - 5 minutes.

You do need a meter. It will teach you what your personal carb tolerance is. We all differ in this. Mine is 30g a day, some at lunch, rest at evening meal. Some are lower than that, some are higher. A meter will help you discover yours.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with those who have said to purchase a meter. Remember though, carbohydrates are not instantly off the list for diabetics - and that includes T2's as well.

Eat to your meter is a sensible ethos. As in, if you have high readings following a meal with a specific type of carbohydrate, then look to reduce (and if imperative) eliminate entirely. You won't know until you test though, so don't feel like carbohydrates are the nemesis just from what you may hear from other members. There are many variants of carbs (some better than others) and with a meter, you can find ones that agree with your condition the best.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'd say ditch the bread and cereals.
Are you rushed in a morning?
If so have a cup of coffee instant is fine with a tablespoon of butter in it.
The energy boost makes it almost an illegal drug lift and you won't be hungry for hours. Tastes just fine.
If you're not too rushed the batch making freezing and using your microwave is a great idea.
Full fat yoghurt and bung some ground nuts and berries in.
If it ends in berry it's okay for most of us.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
If you have plenty of time a cup of warm water with the juice of a lemon and then nothing for half an hour.
After a few weeks of that you'll look great feel great and pounds will start falling off.

Mark_1

I boil a box of eggs at a time and have a few of these when I want something quick. Cooking once to eat 3 times saves time.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
1/2 or whole high protein roll from Lidl with low carb filling like ham or cheese.

Reactions: pms543

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new to this too, just 2 weeks on low carbs. I always used to have toast for breakfast. I now have two scrambled eggs, takes one minute in the microwave. If I've got a bit more time I add smoked salmon, mushrooms or bacon.

Reactions: cadd79

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have plenty of time a cup of warm water with the juice of a lemon and then nothing for half an hour.
After a few weeks of that you'll look great feel great and pounds will start falling off.
I also like fresh air at breakfast time, that offers almost the same nutritional benefit as your suggestion...

Please remember that this thread is with regards to 'breakfast' and not flavoured water.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also like fresh air at breakfast time, that offers almost the same nutritional benefit as your suggestion...

Please remember that this thread is with regards to 'breakfast' and not flavoured water.

To be fair Grant. I've heard of non D fasting (don't do breakfast. Not even coffee/tea types.) do hot lemon water "first thing".... in particular a close friend of my wife's. looks great! (A keen runner.)

I myself find hot lemon water was great "soother" & belayed a chesty "hack" of a cough (after a dose of lurgy.) whilst gigging (singer.) earlier this year..;) Pretty much a "life saver" without the drowsy, high BG raising of cough mixture. Which as a singer affects & "dopes" the respitory & vocal chords any how...

Yeah, I put whisky in it when I'd got home & finished with the driving! :cool:

Don't knock it till you've 'ad a go... :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

The flavoured water is a starter for breakfast. A very healthy one too that affects the rest of your diet.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair Grant. I've heard of non D fasting (don't do breakfast. Not even coffee/tea types.) do hot lemon water "first thing".... in particular a close friend of my wife's. looks great! (A keen runner.)

I myself find hot lemon water was great "soother" & belayed a chesty "hack" of a cough (after a dose of lurgy.) whilst gigging (singer.) earlier this year..;) Pretty much a "life saver" without the drowsy, high BG raising of cough mixture. Which as a singer affects & "dopes" the respitory & vocal chords any how...

Yeah, I put whisky in it when I'd got home & finished with the driving! :cool:

Don't knock it till you've 'ad a go... :)
Yes I agree @Jaylee on the whole fasting part, I typically do it myself. Especially regarding the whisky;)

My point was that I don't particularly rate lemon flavoured water as an applicable substitute to toast, porridge and cereals, as the OP asked. Given we're talking 'breaking the fast', I would imagine that the OP is looking for an actual form of solid food, in the shape of a meal.