Breakfast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i could choose cakes and pies too! I must be misisng your point?

Read my first post again I have barely any information on diabetes. I'm doing what most people do when they see a doctor who prescribes them medicine surely?

Well yes you are but taking medicine is your choice of course. You said you "have" to take it.
I found that metformin gave me horrendous side effects so stopped taking it after 3 weeks of being tied to the loo.
Since then I have completely changed my diet to control my Type 2 with diet only combined wth fasting. I am a bit of an advocate of this way of control.. some would say I bang on about it incessantly but for me it has been great.
I have also done a lot of reading about the condition and think that a ketogenic diet is the way to go.
My doctor doesn't have my diabetes .. I do ...so I needed to take control.
I also found out that my particular HCP's were not very clued up on the more recent findings on treating Type 2 with diet so was quite happy to ignore them. But of course that was my own decision.

dudester

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fair enough but I'm still figuring what works for me. I think casting aside medication after 7 days is not the smartest of choices.

As previously stated i am already undertaking a low carb approach. I need to as pointed out by others find out what works for me and what doesn't. While I figure that out I would prefer to have a routine which includes breakfast lunch and dinner with metformin.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great.. we are all our own experiments.
I'm just sharing what I and quite a few others here have found... our GP's and DN's don't necessarily know the best way to control this condition and as we have it then only we can take control. Your Low Carb diet will most likely have a far more beneficial effect than the pills.

Reactions: Jaylee

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fair enough but I'm still figuring what works for me. I think casting aside medication after 7 days is not the smartest of choices.

You're entirely right @dudester. There are occasions where T2's can come off medications such as Metformin, but it would be smart for that to be a joint decision between yourself and the medical professional who prescribed the medication in the first place. Given the fact that the prescription was written for very good reason.

Do what you feel is best for your situation. You will read and hear all sorts of drastic and hard-core lifestyle changes/choices which may be preached as gospel; and you're almost left to feel like an idiot if you're not on the bandwagon. But remember that all advice given on this forum is largely based on opinion and personal experience, and what may suit one may not suit another.

Good luck with whichever path you choose to go down. The forum will very much welcome your feedback regarding how the changes benefit your diabetes:)

All the best,
Grant

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

As previously stated i am already undertaking a low carb approach. I need to as pointed out by others find out what works for me and what doesn't. While I figure that out I would prefer to have a routine which includes breakfast lunch and dinner with metformin.

:cool: I feel you are striking the right balance in these early days.. I know I "harp on" about meters for all.!
But it's the only way to date regarding a "gauge" on what's happening with whatever you eat & whatever the meds (or not.) if faced with a diabetes diagnosis..
As opposed to guessing what's going on between A1c checks... Lol, these blood work labs don't take no prisoners...
Testing BG 2 hours after a "pie" for brecky, may just work for you..? (I'm being silly now.) but without a meter. Who knows... ;)

I Admire the successes of passionate members on here regardless of how they manage their type & personal condition.

All our paths are laid out through different terrain! :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@dudester welcome go the forum and you have made the first step by getting a meter so that you can find what works for you. We are all individuals and it will help you determine what you can and cannot eat. Whilst a number on the forum find that they need to go very low carb I seem to be luckier in that I can tolerate more carbs so can eat certain types of bread such as Tesco's high protein or potatoes - I even had baked beans the other day and my BS was ok yet for many this would send their BS high. However in the first instance try to cut out as many carbs as possible such as bread, potatoes, pasta, cereal and fruit such as bananas but berries are ok. Also have full fat because the low fat 'healthy' foods are have more carbs in them. It's trial and error but you'll get there in the end. Just remember that what to many is perceived to be a healthy diet is not good for diabetics. Good luck and remember that, to quote many on here, 'it's a marathon not a sprint'.

DaveC886

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If I'm looking for a low carb breakfast that keeps me full until lunchtime I have 125g plain yoghurt, 45g cottage cheese and 50g mixed nuts. Quick and easy to mix, light on the stomach but very satisfying.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I even had baked beans the other day
I sometimes have baked beans for breakfast, when I need a change from Burgen toast, with sausage or bacon and an egg. Heinz No Added Sugar Beanz are 39g carbs per standard 400ml tin. A third of a tin makes no difference to my BS.

dudester

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First time I got in from work since starting the low carb diet and I just crave a big fat pizza :(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, this is a brilliant LC pizza recipe :)
(and it is really easy to make)
http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/
rsz_fat_head_pizza_-_the_holy_grail_4.jpg