Breakfast

Pwentland

Hi, I'm trying to find a healthy breakfast that doesn't send by BM racing but also need to lose weight and have high cholesterol so I don' wwant to be eating a full English. Ive usually had cereals thinking this was healthy and only just discovered carbs can be bad for our sugars. I always wake up hungry and need something fairly substantial or I feel low energy and shaky through the morning. I've only just got self testing meter so not really sure what my levels are like in the morning. Any advice? I'm type 2, fairly recently diagnosed and I take 2x Sukkarto (slow release metformin) and 1x80 mg gliclazide in the morning and 2xSukkarto and 1x40mg atorvastatin for my cholesterol in the evening. Thanks x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I second the Diet Doctor recommendation.
You may find that going the low carb route and eating more fat will improve your good cholesterol ratios and help you feel fuller for longer btw but as you are taking a medication which encourages insulin production there is a risk of going low blood sugar (hypo) so I would go carefully! Obviously in the long term it would be great if you can reduce the meds because they are no longer needed.
Also are you sure your symptoms of feeling shaky and low energy are not low blood sugar (below 4) due to the meds?

Reactions: Pwentland

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I find rolled oats ( not Quick oats or one minute oats) with chia, milk ( = protein, fat and carbs) works well plus an egg or two, The fat in the milk and eggs slows the sugar spike after the meal. Chia, milk and eggs provide protein which eases hunger and produces a gradual lower sugar spike 3 hours plus after breakfast to carry you through to lunchtime. Adding a little psyllium husk also increases the fibre content( along with the oats) which fills the stomach more, aids satiety ( satisfaction and easing of hunger) and also helps reduce the sugar spike and prevents constipation.
What is there not to like.?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Pwentland,

Would you mind telling us what your cholesterol ratios actually were? I see they have put you straight on statins. When I started going low carb and medium fat (ie slightly more cheese and nuts), my HDL levels did go even higher (and the ratios were good in the first place) but my LDL also went higher which caused the Doctor to frown and start talking statins, in fact she said 'Stop with the cheese and red meat'. She took no notice of the fact that my HDL/Trigs ratio was excellent.

Pwentland

Thanks everyone, A lot of the lo carb breakfasts also seem to be high fat and cholesterol and I am really trying to lose weight, plus my cholesterol levels are high. I've had very little info from the doctors at all and I feel quite overwhelmed by the whole thing, really struggling to know what is best and there's so much conflicting information online. I exercise when I can, but I'm also recovering from a brain injury so often my mobility isn't great so I really need to control through diet as much as possible, and losing weight is a big priority for me

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trigs being high shows a need to reduce carbohydrates since your body is converting excess glucose into these fatty acids in your bloodstream. If you can find your numbers it will show the HDL/trig ratio which should be 1:1 ideally. The statins will lower your ldl cholesterol but its really the HL/trigs that are the best indicator of risk according to many cardiologists. The GP is rewarded for targetting LDL by treating with statins but this does not mean that this is right for you as an individaul!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reducing carbs is a favourable way to lose weight. But what to replace them with? The old thinking was no to fatty foods, big that is just too simple a view. Certainly breakfasting on doughnuts would probably be a bad thing, but bacon? Fine. Lashings of butter, avocados...... All good fats.

Sand with cholesterol. The myth around cholesterol in the diet has been totally debunked now. Eggs etc are all good.

By coincidence on BBC tonight is a program about carbs. It'll probably be presented in a simplistic way, but the trailers for it suggest a good underlying message.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I find rolled oats ( not Quick oats or one minute oats) with chia, milk ( = protein, fat and carbs) works well plus an egg or two, The fat in the milk and eggs slows the sugar spike after the meal. Chia, milk and eggs provide protein which eases hunger and produces a gradual lower sugar spike 3 hours plus after breakfast to carry you through to lunchtime. Adding a little psyllium husk also increases the fibre content( along with the oats) which fills the stomach more, aids satiety ( satisfaction and easing of hunger) and also helps reduce the sugar spike and prevents constipation.
What is there not to like.?

I agree with this. I have rolled oats 3 to 4 times per week. Absolutely must be traditional rolled oats. I make it on water and add a small amount of full fat milk at the end. 45g of Lowan rolled oats has about 25 g of carbs with low GI. I don't experience any bad bg spikes with this. Other mornings I just have eggs with bacon and tomato or a piece of minute steak. The bacon isn't really that bad for cholesterol as you don't end up eating a huge amount of it. If worried, trim the fat off. Berries with yoghurt and nuts aren't a bad one either.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Typically only 15% of the cholesterol in your blood comes from the food you eat; the rest is made by the liver and is affected by carbs as much as fat. So, don't worry too much about fats as the experts have got it wrong. Cereals are in general not healthy but eggs and bacon etc are much better for us. I have a very small amount of homemade muesli form oats with added nuts etc with cold milk and some blueberries. Oats in Muesli are better than in porridge. I also have some eggs and bacon.