Breakfasts

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Hi @Bellatom I am going to Lidl's tomorrow its a 7 mile trip there and 7 miles back but on your reccomendation it sounds worth it,thank you:)

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Been to Lidl for the protein rolls tried 1 and they are fabulous. I must be a greedy sod as I ate the whole roll with a banana, however I had'nt eaten since 7.30 so come 3'o'clock was starving.
Can you freeze them or as I brought 2 will the remaining one still be fresh tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Glad you enjoyed it. I am addicted and live in constant fear of Lidl withdrawing them. :arghh:

Yes, they freeze well, but slice them in half first. I buy around 14 at a time if there are that many left in the basket. They do seem very popular at my Lidl as the basket is always much less full than the others.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @Bellatom I am going to Lidl's tomorrow its a 7 mile trip there and 7 miles back but on your reccomendation it sounds worth it,thank you:)

OMG thats a journey advice will be buy 1 cost 27p take a bite and if you like buy a load and freeze them via the instructions on this thread.
Cannot wait for tomorrow as I think toasted they are going to be fabulous and fingers crossed you like them too.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good evening @Bellatom my friend i certainly did ,I got there at 8am when they opened ,and they were still warm,29p each I got 12,I had one half when I got home,and the other half topped with sardines for a snack st 5pm,they are better than the bread I missed,they really filled me up,as I always seemed to be hungry,and I have had constipation for a while but everything back to normal now.
,They are soft taste good and and feel good I have put 10 tn the freezer ,I shall have one half in the morning with a poached egg on it,my reading before was 4.9 and after it was 5.3,many thanks for your info,you have made an old Owl very happy:)

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good evening @Bellatom my friend i certainly did ,I got there at 8am when they opened ,and they were still warm,29p each I got 12,I had one half when I got home,and the other half topped with sardines for a snack st 5pm,they are better than the bread I missed,they really filled me up,as I always seemed to be hungry,and I have had constipation for a while but everything back to normal now.
,They are soft taste good and and feel good I have put 10 tn the freezer ,I shall have one half in the morning with a poached egg on it,my reading before was 4.9 and after it was 5.3,many thanks for your info,you have made an old Owl very happy:)

Happy to help but it was a couple of people on this site that told me so cant take the praise but so happy you didnt have a wasted journey.
Enjoy

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Can't go wrong with grits in there either apparently.

'Every morning she starts her day with a breakfast of several strips of bacon, scrambled eggs, and ground corn.'

I guess ground corn is their version of our porridge to start the day.
So, a balanced diet is the key to a long life.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am a total convert of the protein rolls from Lidl. I noticed yesterday that they are now doing a low GI cob as well, tried it and it is delicious!
One question, the lidl rolls fill me up so I don't feel hungry for hours, do you have any other suggestions for other foods that will do the same thing?
My problem is I am always hungry which is why I am considerably overweight. I could really do with alternatives to stop me overeating.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a total convert of the protein rolls from Lidl. I noticed yesterday that they are now doing a low GI cob as well, tried it and it is delicious!
One question, the lidl rolls fill me up so I don't feel hungry for hours, do you have any other suggestions for other foods that will do the same thing?
My problem is I am always hungry which is why I am considerably overweight. I could really do with alternatives to stop me overeating.

Beware of the low GI cobs at Lidl. They are high in carbs. On another thread someone had written to Lidl asking for the nutrition values.

Lidl 5302428 Low GI Roll
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 295kcal / 1240kJ
Fat 8.5g
Of which saturates 1.08g
Carbohydrate 44.9g
Of which sugars 4.2g
Fibre 8.4g
Protein 14.0g
Salt 0.78g

Lidl high protein rolls fill you up because they are high protein and also high fat. Fat fills you up, so maybe add some more to your food choices and see if that helps.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just read the 30 day bacon diet and its made me feel a whole lot better about my weekly 4 rashers of back bacon. As much as I love bacon I have a bp rate of around 120/85 so I have to be mindful of the sodium content but saying this will keep on with my cooked breakfast as losing weight will be more beneficial to my overall health and BP.
Once again thank you for your help.
I have had bacon and egg with fried mushrooms almost every day during the first 4 months as a T2 as part of LCHF approach - I lost 19kg in weight, came off medication, almost halved my Hba1c, my BP at diagnosis was 130/80 - its now typically around 115/70 - Bacon is your friend ! :)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get a granola from Sainsbury's called Rude Health is made with Spelt flakes, oats, coconut flakes, chia seeds and no refined sugar and it hardly raises my BG at all
What is the carb content per 100g?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'Baked for you throughout the day'

They're certainly made fresh somewhere, frozen, shipped to your local Lidl, then defrosted later in an oven instore.
All supermarkets have the same distribution for 'fresh' bread.
Fresh=frozen=not fresh. I guess that's an example of an 'alternative fact'.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you freeze them or as I brought 2 will the remaining one still be fresh tomorrow.
Thanks again.
I only eat half. Slice them before freezing. I had half for breakfast and the other half was still okay the next day - kept in fridge.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Fresh=frozen=not fresh. I guess that's an example of an 'alternative fact'.

It's a fair bet that anything you can freeze at home, has been frozen previously in the supply chain well before you bought it.

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It amazed me recently to discover how long "fresh" veg is stored in supermarkets before it appears on the shelves. I forget the average time, but it was a very long time.

Hotpepper20000

It's a fair bet that anything you can freeze at home, has been frozen previously in the supply chain well before you bought it.
For us here in Canada in the middle of the prairies, fish and vegetables are actually more nutritious frozen. Fish is often frozen on the ships or soon after docking and vegetables and fruit from all over the world come frozen. They don't lose the nutrients sitting in the truck, store or in the fridge.
We here have a few hot houses that supply cucumbers and tomatoes locally but it is not always available this time of year. We have great variety fresh, but it comes from the southern USA or South America. Its picked green and travels a great distance. So the flavour isn't always the best.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For us here in Canada in the middle of the prairies, fish and vegetables are actually more nutritious frozen. Fish is often frozen on the ships or soon after docking and vegetables and fruit from all over the world come frozen. They don't lose the nutrients sitting in the truck, store or in the fridge.
We here have a few hot houses that supply cucumbers and tomatoes locally but it is not always available this time of year. We have great variety fresh, but it comes from the southern USA or South America. Its picked green and travels a great distance. So the flavour isn't always the best.

I freeze most things I buy if I don't use them the same day.