Breakfasts

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you guys have for breakfast.
I am normally up and out the door for work and grab a protein shake.
What other quick and easy options could you suggest please ...

Reactions: 13lizanne

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have a one egg cheese omelette made in a small non-stick frying pan. Takes only a short time to cook and eat.

On weekends I skip breakfasts.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greek yoghurt (not low fat) plus a few berries. I buy the frozen mixed berries and take a few out to defrost the night before. Equally as fast as the breakfasts I used to eat that I found through testing were BAD!

Reactions: grante

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Creamy scrambled eggs
- 2 x eggs, single/double cream, cheese and some butter.
- cook in microwave for 1:00-1:20 minutes, stir, cook another 1:30 minutes.
Add some spinach or leafy greens (quick blast in microwave to soften them up a bit).
You could add some bacon bits or cook bacon separately in microwave (1:30 minutes).

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
On LCHF and intermittent fasting .. I only eat between 11am and 7pm. Some days I will have a breakfast of bacon, sausage and egg as my first meal in my "eating window", then just a snack lunch or dinner. Other days, nothing .. just depends how I feel:)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Either a couple of boiled eggs (I cook them the night before and take them to work to eat cold) or crustless quiche made with eggs, cream, bacon, onion and cheese. I prepare a large one and then freeze individual portions- just take one out the night before and it's quick to pop in the microwave either at home or at work.

Occasionally at the weekend I'll have a larger breakfast of eggs, bacon and sausages (high meat content ones without fillers) but I don't really need to eat that much.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, for a quick breakfast before work I usually have full fat Greek style yoghurt with a few berries and nuts or a protein roll toasted with butter, both very satisfying and keep me going til my evening meal.

At the weekend I may have 2 slices fried bacon with fried halloumi.

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another option is poached eggs - cooked in the microwave. Around 1 minute per egg.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I too have full fat Greek yogurt, but I have sugar free jelly with it as I can't tolerate berries. Another option is to crush some walnuts or almonds and sprinkle them through the yogurt to bulk it up - no cooking required !

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greek yoghurt with either raspberries or blueberries and tablespoon of flax seed when I'm working or eggs (poached/fried/scrambled) on toast when I'm not.

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for yours replies.
I still trying to figure out what I can eat and the h as rd part I suppose is to change my eating habits .
Thank you all

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it bad to skip meals ?
I do 5:2 fasting. Eat normally during the week and at the weekend only eat one meal a day (intermittent fasting). See https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting for some details on intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting has some great benefits for people with type 2 diabetes. It helps burn off the visceral fat around the liver and pancreas. It puts the body into a "self repair mode" which can help regenerate brain cells and Beta cells in the pancreas. It also helps reduce blood sugar more quickly than by a low carb diet alone.

Watch this video if you want to see the benefits of fasting for diabetes.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well plenty of ideas here if you have time to cook breakfast but if not then a protein shake should be fine...as long as it does not have sugar in it

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it bad to skip meals ?
No .. by skipping breakfast you extend your overnight fast so give your poor overloaded pancreas a bit more rest time.
As most "breakfast food" (apart from bacon and eggs of course) is ridiculously high carb it is often best avoided.

Reactions: dbr10 and grante

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well plenty of ideas here if you have time to cook breakfast but if not then a protein shake should be fine...as long as it does not have sugar in it
It does have sugar lol. I am checking everything at the minute

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest its best to eat real food when following this way of eating. Fresh ingredients prepared on demand. Shakes, diet drinks I try to avoid you can never be quite sure whats in them and I have found a coffee with double cream is usually far more filling. Still each to their own.

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Good that you are checking (and don't forget it is total carbs amount that you look for, not sugars)

I used to have a full fat yogurt with berries. This was keeping my levels up all morning so I changed to one soft boiled egg. That was better but not a lot. I now just have a decaff coffee with double cream. Works wonders, and my pre-lunch levels are now significantly lower than ever they have been. Also, because of the fat content in the cream, I am not hungry.